New Tourist Railroad in NH

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdwolfskill

Train Attendant
I was just reading another post here about Oregon's Lewis & Clark train, and thought I would inform eveyone that the great state of New Hampshire has snatched the remaining pair of working RDCs from the BC Rail liquidation to start a new tourist railroad here. The new venture is called the Wilton Scenic Railroad. I just happen to live within sight of the line, and the scenery between Wilton and Greenfield State Park is well worth the trip (especially so in the Fall). The RDCs, still in BC Rail livery, we're running in test mode last Sunday as far as Lyndeborough. Unfortunately, a washout from a storm has delayed the grand opening, which was to be May 3rd. The details and Summer schedule are available at the WSRRs new website if anyone is interested. Have a look:

http://www.wiltonscenicrr.com

I have already taken trips on Conway Scenic Railroad, both Hobo Railroad lines, and the Mt. Washington Cog Railway, so this will be a must on my next camping trip to the Granite State.

Unfortunately, AMTRAK doesn't come anywhere close to Wilton. The closest AMTRAK station would be either Boston, or Brattleboro, VT (a Thruway bus, I think). Each station is about 65 miles away. There's talk of extending the (Boston) T-trains from Lowell, MA. to Nashua, NH. In that case, you would be only about 8 miles away. However, I doubt that will actually happen this year. The M&B right-of-way runs all the way to downtown Nashua, so there's is even a future possibility that the WSRR could eventually make that connection with the Boston T-trains.

I just saw an article in The Chronicle of Higher Education about the Princeton RDC. Only 2.7 miles long...hehe....from Princeton to Princeton.

Yes, cause they're talking about Princeton U too! It's mainly just around the campus, apparently.

tubaallen said:
I just saw an article in The Chronicle of Higher Education about the Princeton RDC.  Only 2.7 miles long...hehe....from Princeton to Princeton.
That is a NJ Transit shuttle that runs from the NEC Princton Junction Station along a single-track branch line to the town of Princeton. It is a holdover from the days of the PRR local Trenton to NY service.

This train, locally called "The Dinky", does not use RDC cars. It uses standard NJT Arrow electric MU's (the branch is electrified).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back