New Virginia Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottC4746

OBS Chief
News Release

National Railroad Passenger Corporation

60 Massachusetts Avenue NE

Washington, DC 20002

www.amtrak.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

ATK-09-042

June 3, 2009

Amtrak Signs Agreement with Virginia to Provide New Passenger Rail Service

Nation's Railroad Uniquely Positioned to Develop Partnerships with Other States

WASHINGTON - With a new agreement signed with Virginia, Amtrak is now the choice of 15 states to operate their state-funded passenger rail service and is uniquely positioned to develop partnerships with other states, said Amtrak President and CEO Joseph Boardman.

"Amtrak is excited to establish new passenger rail service for Virginia and is seeking opportunities to partner with other states to provide additional rail transportation options," Boardman stated, highlighting the national reach of the railroad's extensive network of stations and mechanical and operational facilities as well as its equipment fleet and reservations system.

Boardman stressed that a primary objective of Amtrak is to be the operator of the national high speed rail system being developed by states with new federal funding provided in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. Amtrak understands the needs, opportunities and challenges associated with creating and operating new passenger rail service and is able to provide the leadership and technical assistance necessary to successfully help states reach that goal, he said.

Under the Virginia agreement, Amtrak will receive $17.2 million from Virginia over a three-year demonstration period to provide new daily service to Washington, D.C. from Lynchburg beginning in October 2009 and from Richmond beginning in December 2009. Detailed schedules and fares will be finalized by the Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation and Amtrak in the coming months.

In addition to Virginia, Amtrak currently has partnership agreements with the following states to operate state-funded passenger rail services: California, Illinois, Maine, Michigan, Missouri, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Vermont, Washington, and Wisconsin.

About Amtrak

Amtrak has posted six consecutive years of growth in ridership and revenue, carrying more than 28.7 million passengers in the last fiscal year. Amtrak provides intercity passenger rail service to more than 500 destinations in 46 states on a 21,000-mile route system. For schedules, fares and information, passengers may call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com.

Under the Virginia agreement, Amtrak will receive $17.2 million from Virginia over a three-year demonstration period to provide new daily service to Washington, D.C. from Lynchburg beginning in October 2009 and from Richmond beginning in December 2009. Detailed schedules and fares will be finalized by the Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation and Amtrak in the coming months.
It would have been nice if they had expanded and reworded this paragraph, to say "... to provide a second daily service from Lynchburg to Washington, D.C. (and continuing to Boston) beginning in October 2009 and an additional daily service from Richmond...".

But, hooray!!!!!

And I will be on the inaugural train, be sure of it :D If there isn't already some event planned at Kemper St Station for the inaugural departure, I will consider trying to organize one.

Sorry if I'm too lazy to read around the rhetoric in that PR to find the meat, but are any new services actually being offered?

Never mind - I found it, but boy it's vague. Pretty short routes, aren't these? Nothing really new except for frequency. I thought that these routes were already packed with trains, hence VRA's inability to add trains...

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty short routes, aren't these?
I suspect that these routes were developed based upon the assumption that refurbishing Amfleet I cars is infinitely expensive compared to the revenue that they might collect (not sure whether that assumption is correct, but it's certainly something Amtrak seemed to believe immediately prior to the most recent election cycle), and that it was desireable to have existing Northeast Regional trainsets spending more time on the road and less in yards. That's certainly true of the Lynchburg route.

I think a Norfolk route would have been more useful than a Lynchburg route that nearly duplicates the existing long distance service, but IIRC Norfolk requires track upgrades and at least one new station. The extension to Lynchburg uses existing track and existing stations.

Pretty short routes, aren't these?
I suspect that these routes were developed based upon the assumption that refurbishing Amfleet I cars is infinitely expensive compared to the revenue that they might collect (not sure whether that assumption is correct, but it's certainly something Amtrak seemed to believe immediately prior to the most recent election cycle), and that it was desireable to have existing Northeast Regional trainsets spending more time on the road and less in yards. That's certainly true of the Lynchburg route.

I think a Norfolk route would have been more useful than a Lynchburg route that nearly duplicates the existing long distance service, but IIRC Norfolk requires track upgrades and at least one new station. The extension to Lynchburg uses existing track and existing stations.
Kummant seemed to think the Amfleet Is had their day- he was pushing for new Corridor equipment. Boardman seems to recognize that of the car types Amtrak needs, a replacement for the Amfleet Is is the last of them. We need a replacement for Acela more than we need more penn-compatible single level non-powered coaches.

Since he was pushing for new Corridor equipment, he would be loathe to refurbish cars he was planning to get rid of.

We need equipment for short-distance service, but we'd be better off buying bi-levels for that and sending their Amfleets east for service on the corridor.

The Examiner today said this...

"Richmond to DC- December 2009 start: one train will leave richmond at 7 am stopping at Ashland, Fredricksburg, Quantico, Woodbridge, and Alexandria until it ends at L'Enfant Plaza in the District. THe Afternoon train will leave make the reverse trip at 3:55 pm."

"Lynchburg to DC- October 2009 start: One train will leave Lynchburg at 7:38 am with stops in Charlottesville, Culpeper, Manassas, burke centre Alexandria, L'Enfant Plaza. Return train leaves DC at 4:50pm."

Sounds like a longer VRE train.

The Examiner today said this..."Richmond to DC- December 2009 start: one train will leave richmond at 7 am stopping at Ashland, Fredricksburg, Quantico, Woodbridge, and Alexandria until it ends at L'Enfant Plaza in the District. THe Afternoon train will leave make the reverse trip at 3:55 pm."

"Lynchburg to DC- October 2009 start: One train will leave Lynchburg at 7:38 am with stops in Charlottesville, Culpeper, Manassas, burke centre Alexandria, L'Enfant Plaza. Return train leaves DC at 4:50pm."

I saw that story. It wasn't well-written at all.

The fact of the matter is that both trains will be extended Regional trains that head up the Northeast Corridor after they leave Virginia. They DO NOT TERMINATE AT L'ENFANT PLAZA as that article seems to imply.

In the case of the Lynchburg train, it will operate through Boston. In the case of the Richmond train, it will operate through New York. As of right now, neither train will receive a name other than "Northeast Regional Service," which is good for AGR members, since Boston-Lynchburg will now be covered by a one zone regional redemption rather than a more expensive one zone long distance redemption.

-Rafi

It will be nice to once again have through service from Boston to Lynchburg. Has not happened much in my life time except for a period years ago. This was when the Southern Crescent and or Crescent had a through sleeper three days a week from Boston to LA. And a coach from Boston to NOL. This included a stop at Lynchburg. That transcon leeper has been operated various ways through the years.But it always went through Lynchburg, which is my point.

It is noteworthy how much traffic Lynchburg used to have. It had about four Norfolk & Western trains from Norfolk to Cincinnati and other places. Then there were six trains a day on the Southern Railroad from NYC to Atlanta, NOL,etc. And three more trains N&W/SOU which went NYC, WAS to Knoxville, Chattanooga, Bimrngham,New Orleans.Also huntsville, and Memphis.

At my count, from a 1957 Official Guide, that is about 13 trains in each direction. Total, 26.

So having two a day will not be that unusual.

The fact of the matter is that both trains will be extended Regional trains that head up the Northeast Corridor after they leave Virginia. They DO NOT TERMINATE AT L'ENFANT PLAZA as that article seems to imply.

-Rafi
Don't shoot the messenger. The Virginia DOT is the source of the report, and the VaDOT says the train from Lynchburg will terminate at L'Enfant Plaza. You and I know that is wrong, but the press report was simply repeating the DOT claim.

From the VaDOT, 6-3-09:

...In April 2009, Governor Kaine announced a similar agreement to operate daily passenger service between Lynchburg and Washington, D.C. with stops at Kemper Street in Lynchburg, Charlottesville, Culpeper, Manassas, Burke Center, Alexandria, and terminating at L'Enfant Plaza in Washington, D.C.
The full release is HERE.

-Rafi
Don't shoot the messenger. The Virginia DOT is the source of the report, and the VaDOT says the train from Lynchburg will terminate at L'Enfant Plaza. You and I know that is wrong, but the press report was simply repeating the DOT claim.

From the VaDOT, 6-3-09:

...In April 2009, Governor Kaine announced a similar agreement to operate daily passenger service between Lynchburg and Washington, D.C. with stops at Kemper Street in Lynchburg, Charlottesville, Culpeper, Manassas, Burke Center, Alexandria, and terminating at L'Enfant Plaza in Washington, D.C.
The full release is HERE.
The services that Virginia is paying for DO end at L'Enfant. Yeah, it's a technicality.

Why doesn't Amtrak and/or NC DOT route the Carolinian via Greensboro-Lynchburg-Washington? I know NC DOT funds the train and I'm sure they want to take care of passengers in eastern NC. But with another Piedmont soon to be added, it would seem that northeast passengers from Raleigh could connect at Greensboro. Wilson / RMT passengers of course have the Palmetto. The advantage (aside from a much more interesting route) is that it would save considerable time. The Crescent takes 6 hours Greensboro-WAS while the Carolinian takes 7.5 hours.

The Examiner today said this..."Richmond to DC- December 2009 start: one train will leave richmond at 7 am stopping at Ashland, Fredricksburg, Quantico, Woodbridge, and Alexandria until it ends at L'Enfant Plaza in the District. THe Afternoon train will leave make the reverse trip at 3:55 pm."

Sadly, the original time of early morning would have worked a lot better... maybe someone will realize this and change it? soon? *hint hint*wink wink*nudge nudge*

Me thinks not. The seating will be a little better considering its a THREE hour trip to CVS (three hour tour... three hour tour...sorry had to throw that in) and FOUR hour trip to LYH using corridor equipment, with a cafe car an maybe even a business car. Would you really want to ride the VRE for that long? That would be like riding CalTrain from San Fran to LA and them some! blech, gross! me thinks not.

Me thinks not. The seating will be a little better considering its a THREE hour trip to CVS (three hour tour... three hour tour...sorry had to throw that in) and FOUR hour trip to LYH using corridor equipment, with a cafe car an maybe even a business car. Would you really want to ride the VRE for that long? That would be like riding CalTrain from San Fran to LA and them some! blech, gross! me thinks not.
Last time I checked, the Coast Starlight takes something on the order of 12 hours to make that run. Not 4.

Last time I checked, the Coast Starlight takes something on the order of 12 hours to make that run. Not 4.
Yes, hence the "and then some"

Sadly, the original time of early morning would have worked a lot better... maybe someone will realize this and change it? soon? *hint hint*wink wink*nudge nudge*

We have a CVS on just about every corner down here... :lol:

We have a CVS on just about every corner down here... :lol:
Oh you're a funny one. aren't ya :p

Why doesn't Amtrak and/or NC DOT route the Carolinian via Greensboro-Lynchburg-Washington? I know NC DOT funds the train and I'm sure they want to take care of passengers in eastern NC. But with another Piedmont soon to be added, it would seem that northeast passengers from Raleigh could connect at Greensboro. Wilson / RMT passengers of course have the Palmetto. The advantage (aside from a much more interesting route) is that it would save considerable time. The Crescent takes 6 hours Greensboro-WAS while the Carolinian takes 7.5 hours.
You answered your on question with the last half of your first sentence.

The reason why you're not likely to see NCDOT change the routing of the Carolinian is because of the amount of service their population receives. As it is right now almost every major population center in North Carolina receives daylight service thanks to the Carolinian. If you alter the path the Triangle Region would lose their daylight service. You also would be paying for more Virginians to have better service. If VDOT were to step up and help pay for some of the service you might catch North Carolina's ear. But until then...

I think I found the report for the new trains. Page 11 shows the new schedule.
http://www.vhsr.com/system/files/Amtrak+Report+1-25-07.pdf
What you found is the report that kind of started the whole push for the new service. The schedule it provides is a mock-up only, and has since changed, as many on this board know. The Lynchburg train now departs after 7 AM; the final timing has not been finalized as of yet.

Rafi

The release mentions "other states" any idea of these "other states" that are close to being ready to initiate something?
I know that Amtrak has been working with the TXDOT on a Georgetown TX to San Antonio route. Texas has been looking for help in dealing with UP. This is still a few years away from running though.

The release mentions "other states" any idea of these "other states" that are close to being ready to initiate something?
I know that Amtrak has been working with the TXDOT on a Georgetown TX to San Antonio route. Texas has been looking for help in dealing with UP. This is still a few years away from running though.
Of all the possible options out there, I think a Georgetown to SAS would be pretty far down the "Close to being ready" stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back