New York Pennsylvania Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Haithcoat

Engineer
Honored Member
Just received my January 2010 TRAINS today. Pretty good article on Penn Station. Many of you will probably like it.

Says a train arrives there every 67 seconds. Eight page article.

Aloha
That's a lot of trains and Passengers for a station that many don't like.
Well it's not like you have a choice in NY but I guess you can always get off in Jersey like during the Republican Convention in MSG in 2004 when they wouldnt let the trains into NYP! It is a good article, of course Im the one that always quotes Betty Davis: "What a dump!" :lol:

Another thought here as well. Old Penn Station and its destruction did have a positive effect in that it essentially angered the preservationists enough for them to mobilize and save Grand Central Terminal. Thus old Penn didn't die in vain.

Did that train count include the subways, or just Amtrak/NJT ?
I assume it included subways.
The majority of that would be the LIRR.

They wouldn't count the subways in that at all.
The subways don't arrive at Penn Station. They arrive at their own stations, that in turn are connected to Penn Station via passageways. So no, that train count does not include the subways.

And while the LIRR does indeed put the most trains into and out of Penn, it's probably not too much more than a simple majority. While NJT does send less trains, many of it's trains actually arrive twice, since they are sent to Sunnyside to turn around before heading back to Penn to pick up passengers headed for NJ. Throw in Amtrak, and combined they probably represent at least 40% of the arrivals, if not even a bit more.

Another thought here as well. Old Penn Station and its destruction did have a positive effect in that it essentially angered the preservationists enough for them to mobilize and save Grand Central Terminal. Thus old Penn didn't die in vain.
Yes it did. One of the biggest names involved in saving GCT was Jackie O. Many people credit her with actually saving the station, since she helped to lead the charge to get GCT declared a land mark and her name and status helped to push that status through.

Both Old and New Penn are anything but "crap".
More opinion being passed off as fact then?

Been there twice, stinking cesspit. IMHO.
Aloha

Neil, what would you do to improve it remembering close to 60 trains per hour per the trains article.

Eric
Not a lot, short of knock it down and start again. It is what it is.

Somewhere like Berlin Hbf manages 1800 trains a day and still manages to look fetching.

We were told when we were in Cologne Germany that their station sees an arrival or departure every 33 seconds. I thought it was a beautiful station.

C1.jpg

C2.jpg

C3.jpg

Yes it did. One of the biggest names involved in saving GCT was Jackie O. Many people credit her with actually saving the station, since she helped to lead the charge to get GCT declared a land mark and her name and status helped to push that status through.
Jackie not only helped save GCT but that actually jump started a move all across the nation, as indicated,to salvage all sorts of historic buildings,bridges, etc not just railroad stations. For which we can all be thankful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aloha
That's a lot of trains and Passengers for a station that many don't like.
Well it's not like you have a choice in NY but I guess you can always get off in Jersey like during the Republican Convention in MSG in 2004 when they wouldnt let the trains into NYP! It is a good article, of course Im the one that always quotes Betty Davis: "What a dump!" :lol:
I traveled into and out of NYP twice during the Republican Convention.

I was on both NJT & LIRR. The most difficult part of the security was when

I left the station on 7th Ave. Streets and Avenues were blocked within a 5

block area of the station.

Wouldn't it make sense to actually bother to read the article before making assumptions on what it says? ;)

It does not include subway counts. it does count all X trains though, and documents everything in great detail. Do read it. It is very informative, even for those railfans who think they know it all :)

Additionally you get a completely authentic track diagram spanning all the way from Secaucus Junction to Harold as displayed in PSCC in the lead page picture of PSCC.

Not a lot, short of knock it down and start again. It is what it is.Somewhere like Berlin Hbf manages 1800 trains a day and still manages to look fetching.
Yes, but it has way more than 6 tracks feeding it. Doing 1800 trains with the kind of unconstrained flow that is available at Berlin Hbf is not a challenge at all. The challenge in NYP is that it is rife with conflict points and clearly has insufficient capacity in the 6 tracks that connect into it. That is what makes the traffic that is carried through NYP an amazing feat.

Finding the kind of real estate space that Berlin Hbf occupies in Manhattan could be a rather challenging venture, legally, financially and socially.

Wouldn't it make sense to actually bother to read the article before making assumptions on what it says? ;)

It does not include subway counts. it does count all X trains though, and documents everything in great detail. Do read it. It is very informative, even for those railfans who think they know it all :)

Additionally you get a completely authentic track diagram spanning all the way from Secaucus Junction to Harold as displayed in PSCC in the lead page picture of PSCC.
I don't get Trains, nor know how to obtain a copy :(

Aloha

If you have a Barns and Nobel, they carry Trains, but the Honolulu store usually only bring in 5 copies.

Aloha

If you have a Barns and Nobel, they carry Trains, but the Honolulu store usually only bring in 5 copies.
See this link for subscription info.

Not a lot, short of knock it down and start again. It is what it is.Somewhere like Berlin Hbf manages 1800 trains a day and still manages to look fetching.
Yes, but it has way more than 6 tracks feeding it. Doing 1800 trains with the kind of unconstrained flow that is available at Berlin Hbf is not a challenge at all. The challenge in NYP is that it is rife with conflict points and clearly has insufficient capacity in the 6 tracks that connect into it. That is what makes the traffic that is carried through NYP an amazing feat.

Finding the kind of real estate space that Berlin Hbf occupies in Manhattan could be a rather challenging venture, legally, financially and socially.
Oh yeah, all very fair points, but places like Berlin just prove that very busy stations don't have to be the unsavoury dump that Penn is. Just a pity that Grand Central is not the main station in New York, and Penn was the commuter bahnhof....

Back