Newbie Experience and Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Galls

Train Attendant
I am posting this here because I support Amtrak but am a new consumer of it. I work in Homeland Security and live on Long Island, I realize and am sure many of you do also, that passenger train is a security asset allowing the most efficient transport of people that is possible (in theory) much more than interstate and airline systems. Essentially, besides the ocean, the only way to get off of this island in an emergency is via rail, because our highways all go through NYC. So while I always supported Amtrak I never practiced what I preached. The airlines pushed me over the edge with my last flight. Being held hostage on a tarmac, in cramped conditions, for 4 hours and at midnight is not the best way to create customer loyalty, especially with my 6'8" height. So for this trip for two I decided to vote with my dollar go Amtrak since time is no major concern what do I have to loose?

I have not ridden on a intercity passenger train since I was very young and in Europe so the Amtrak process is foreign to me. I am planning a trip for two from Little Rock to NYP. Let me start off by saying Amtrak.com was not the most helpful tool. Initially I was looking at a trip one day later then I am booked for now, for that date it provided me with the most sensible trip. Texas Eagle, 8 hour layover in Chicago, 10pm off to New York on Lake Shore. However when I looked for a trip the day prior, the day I am booked on now, I was given a less logical trip selection. Sending me either to Pittsburgh to wait for another train, or to Washington for the regional train. The Lake Shore route was not available.

Then I called up Amtrak, got through the surprisingly good computer which then said it could not find me a route either and on to a pleasant human. She managed to book me onto the most logical routing, Little Rock->Chicago->NY. I got a roomette for the Chicago -> NY and am the first on a waiting list for the Texes Eagle leg. I am sure the inability of Amtrak.com to provide the best results has probably put off a few people in the past. So now I am booked for two nights on the Amtrak system and have a few question to ask.

1. How likely is it that someone will cancel not show up for a room?

2. I looked at the sticky about upgrading and saw nothing about the waiting list for sleepers, is it a unicorn?

3. What is the customary tip for various people?

4. Luggage, does Amtrak hold it in Chicago and take it from one train to the other, or is owner responsible?

5. Do I automatically get train scheduling related alerts from the computer or do I have to sign up for it?

I appreciate any answers/advice you guys can give and will probably have more to ask. :blink: .

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't get your hopes up. I'd say you have maybe a 1 out of 4 chance, at best.

2. I looked at the sticky about upgrading and saw nothing about the waiting list for sleepers, is it a unicorn?

From what I know, a unicorn.

For a sleeper attendant, $5-20 is standard. Tip the dining car crew like you would in an ordinary restuarant, even if your meals are included in your fare. The conductor is never tipped.

4. Luggage, does Amtrak hold it in Chicago and take it from one train to the other, or is owner responsible?

Since Little Rock has checked baggage, it will transfer.

5. Do I automatically get train scheduling related alerts from the computer or do I have to sign up for it?

I believe you have to sign up for it.

I appreciate any answers/advice you guys can give and will probably have more to ask. :blink: .

I have not ridden on a intercity passenger train since I was very young and in Europe so the Amtrak process is foreign to me. I am planning a trip for two from Little Rock to NYP. Let me start off by saying Amtrak.com was not the most helpful tool. Initially I was looking at a trip one day later then I am booked for now, for that date it provided me with the most sensible trip. Texas Eagle, 8 hour layover in Chicago, 10pm off to New York on Lake Shore. However when I looked for a trip the day prior, the day I am booked on now, I was given a less logical trip selection. Sending me either to Pittsburgh to wait for another train, or to Washington for the regional train. The Lake Shore route was not available.
The overall travel time is only a little bit longer going via DC, so with the Lake Shore sold out, the computer provided you with what many do consider a viable alternative. Even if the Lake Shore wasn't sold out, the computer will often provide you with the other alternative, since they can sometimes be cheaper. Some people also prefer the fact that they'll get dinner on the Capitol Limited, something that isn't offered on the Lake Shore out of Chicago.

I would highly recommend that you pick up an Amtrak time table if you find yourself in Penn Station anytime soon, as that can often make it a bit easier to book things on the Amtrak website, since you'll now know what routes go where and when.

Then I called up Amtrak, got through the surprisingly good computer which then said it could not find me a route either and on to a pleasant human. She managed to book me onto the most logical routing, Little Rock->Chicago->NY. I got a roomette for the Chicago -> NY and am the first on a waiting list for the Texes Eagle leg.
Next time if you don't want to deal with Julie, the computerized phone agent, just say "Agent" and she'll immediately transfer you to a live agent.

That depends on when you are planning to travel. If you are planning to travel right around the Thanksgiving Holiday, or the Christmas/New Years holidays, then I wouldn't bet on a cancellation although it could still happen. Of course you also need to know where you are on the waiting list. If you are #5, then I wouldn't bet on it at all. If you are number 1, then you have a much better chance.

Note: You will be paying the top bucket price for that room if there is a cancellation.

First, it's a rather new development AFAIK. Second that topic was more orientated towards getting the best, cheapest upgrades. The waiting list doesn't qualify as a good way to get the cheapest upgrade. In fact it guarantees paying the highest price for a room.

Penn Central covered the waiter/waitresses and the sleeping car attendant, red caps should probably get at least a buck a bag if you use one. And if you end up in coach on the Eagle, if your coach attendant goes way out of his/her way for you, then you might want to slip them a few bucks.

Again Penn Central already covered this to some extent, just make sure that your bags are checked all the way through to NY and not Chicago. Or in other words make sure that you show both tickets to the agent/red cap checking the bags. The tag that they put on your bags should have the code "NYP" on it. That will ensure that the bags move automatically in Chicago.

All carry-on luggage is of course your responsability to move from one train to another.

Please note that your sleeper tickets qualify you as a First Class passenger on Amtrak. As a first class passenger you are entitled to utilize Amtrak's first class lounges in NY and Chicago. These lounges are a nice quiet refuge in the often-bustling train station. They have nice plush chairs, conference rooms, computer terminals, newspapers, TV's, free soft drinks, juices, coffee, tea and clean safe bathrooms. They also allow you to board your train before the rest of the masses.

I'm not sure that you'll have a reason to use the NY lounge when you arrive, but just in case, he lounge in NY can be found to the far left of the NJ Transit ticket windows as you face them. Walk past the West Gate for tracks 7 & 8 on the left side of the escalator and you will see a sign on the corner of the wall. There is a doorbell to the left of two gold doors. Ring the bell and wait for the click to open the door. You can wait in the NY lounge by showing your Lake Shore ticket stubs, while waiting for an LIRR train home.

In Chicago the lounge is called the "Metropolitan Lounge". It is located on the lower level of Union Station, which is also the track level. If you are standing in front of the Amtrak ticket windows, then the Amtrak waiting area is to your left. When you enter the main Amtrak waiting area through a sliding glass door, just walk forward and slightly to the left. There should be another sliding glass door along with a sign. Just show your tickets and relax.

They'll also give you a card that contains the time that you need to return to the lounge by, in order to board the train and not miss it. If you do leave the lounge, take this card with you as it is also your pass for reentering the lounge. Just wave it at the attendants as you walk in and one will usually look up and acknowledge you and the card. Note the Chicago lounge can be very busy and it sometimes can be hard to get a seat, but you still get the free stuff and priority boarding.

There is also a room inside the lounge that is manned by a Redcap. You can day check any carry-on luggage with the Redcap, such that you can go wander about in Chicago if time permits and get dinner since you won't get dinner on the train. However, save a little room for the free wine & cheese tasting on the train. The Redcap would appreciate a small tip, but it is not required either.

Ask away. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for answering my questions.

Thanks for that advice about the lounge in Chicago, a convenient place to touch base while going to some work sites. The confusion over the waiting list explains a few things as it was a very late after thought from the agent, who was also confused about its implementation. I am first on that list, so it is either first looser or first in line, we will see.

A few more:

How is Little Rock station to stay in for a while? I have time issues that have me showing up around 7-8pm.

And no wifi on to trains correct? That is kind of something you think they would have implemented.

I have not ridden on a intercity passenger train since I was very young and in Europe so the Amtrak process is foreign to me.
It might be good to get used to the facilities on Amtrak Train. On my website you could get already now the right feeling to be there.... ( Quicktime Virtual Reality)

---- and yes a couple of months ago I was taken "hostage" on the JFK tarmac too, for >5h waiting in a total gridlock. Next time I will use IAD again as an international gateway !! it is much better!!!

And no wifi on to trains correct? That is kind of something you think they would have implemented.
No, no Wi-Fi on the trains. Amtrak doesn't even have power at every coach seat at this point, much less Wi-FI. Rumor has it that Acela will get it soon, and then hopefully it will spread from there. But as of right now, no Wi-Fi. :(

And sorry, I have no knowledge of Little Rock, so I can't help you there.

No, no Wi-Fi on the trains. Amtrak doesn't even have power at every coach seat at this point, much less Wi-FI. Rumor has it that Acela will get it soon, and then hopefully it will spread from there. But as of right now, no Wi-Fi. :(

And sorry, I have no knowledge of Little Rock, so I can't help you there.

an alternative could be a 3G / EDGE / GPRS modem/ card in your notebook or a capable mobile device like the iphone. I dont know how is the coverage in the USA, but here in Germany I have basically 100% coverage even at 180mph

Wi-fi access would cost Amtrak money it doesn't have. Write your US Senators and Representatives. Or send Amtrak some Homeland Security funding... :)

Here's my experience with cellular coverage. CDMA phones from Alltel and Verizon seem to have pretty much continuous coverage from Chicago east to somewhere around Connellsville on the Capitol Limited. Heading through the Alleghenies, coverage is somewhat spotty unless you're at the station stops in Cumberland, MD and Martinsburg, WV. Somewhere between Martinsburg, WV and Harper's Ferry, WV, CDMA coverage becomes continuous onto arrival at Washington, DC.

As for GSM phones, I can't really speak about service on #29/30. On the Pennsylvanian, I did experience better coverage with (what was then) Cingular's coverage through the Alleghenies. My wife had our (home) GSM phone; I had a (business) CDMA phone. CDMA coverage become extremely spotty east of Latrobe, PA, until we hit Johnstown. It then disappeared between Johnstown and Altoona, resuming once we hit Altoona and points east. By contrast, we had GSM service almost the entire run to Harrisburg. I can only remember noticing one or two places where the GSM signal dropped. YMMV, depending upon your phone's RF engineering.

I realize this isn't much help for internet access, but it may be helpful for you for attempting to use your cellphone as a last-ditch modem if you really need to use it that way.

Wi-fi access would cost Amtrak money it doesn't have. Write your US Senators and Representatives. Or send Amtrak some Homeland Security funding... :)

Here's my experience with cellular coverage. CDMA phones from Alltel and Verizon seem to have pretty much continuous coverage from Chicago east to somewhere around Connellsville on the Capitol Limited. Heading through the Alleghenies, coverage is somewhat spotty unless you're at the station stops in Cumberland, MD and Martinsburg, WV. Somewhere between Martinsburg, WV and Harper's Ferry, WV, CDMA coverage becomes continuous onto arrival at Washington, DC.

As for GSM phones, I can't really speak about service on #29/30. On the Pennsylvanian, I did experience better coverage with (what was then) Cingular's coverage through the Alleghenies. My wife had our (home) GSM phone; I had a (business) CDMA phone. CDMA coverage become extremely spotty east of Latrobe, PA, until we hit Johnstown. It then disappeared between Johnstown and Altoona, resuming once we hit Altoona and points east. By contrast, we had GSM service almost the entire run to Harrisburg. I can only remember noticing one or two places where the GSM signal dropped. YMMV, depending upon your phone's RF engineering.

I realize this isn't much help for internet access, but it may be helpful for you for attempting to use your cellphone as a last-ditch modem if you really need to use it that way.
I run a unique version of linux that is not of my own design. So getting my CDMA Motorola Q to act as a modem is a pain, I will just limit my access to my phone.

And about it costing so much. I design a lot of installs for various public vehicles for various entities. I am estimating the payback period would be less than 6 months if it was a charge service.

I run a unique version of linux that is not of my own design. So getting my CDMA Motorola Q to act as a modem is a pain, I will just limit my access to my phone.

And about it costing so much. I design a lot of installs for various public vehicles for various entities. I am estimating the payback period would be less than 6 months if it was a charge service.
Here in the UK, one train company (GNER) does have wifi on-board, I think it uses a satellite link and 3G/GPRS. It's free for first class, standard (ie. coach) class is something like 5 ukp for an hour, although 10ukp will get you all day access. I've used it a few times, it's okay for email and a bit of surfing, checking the news/sports etc, but the connection isn't going to support things like Skype, or playing games.

There's a bit of info about it here http://www.gner.co.uk/GNER/MobileOffice/how_does_it_work.htm

If it appears in the US I'd expect it on the Acela Express inintially, as it's mainly targetted at business users.

Interesting, but I don't think the charge service would work out as well. I could be wrong, of course.

You see, the people at Pittsburgh International Airport tried to charge travellers for Wi-Fi access, but found they could not make a profit at it. So, they made the Wi-Fi access free, and now according to some press release that came across my desk some time ago from the PR people at Pittsburgh International, people cite it as a factor for choosing to fly through Pittsburgh.

I'm not sure if that press release was to media sources only, or if it was available online. If I think of it over the next few days, I'll check.

Now that I think about it, what might be shrewd might be for Amtrak to have Wi-Fi access at LD servicing stops, where the train has to pause for a longer period of time, anyway.

Paging Mr. Fremaux...

Now that I think about it, what might be shrewd might be for Amtrak to have Wi-Fi access at LD servicing stops, where the train has to pause for a longer period of time, anyway.
Paging Mr. Fremaux...
Great idea! Pretty cheap to implement, too--even if they want to separate this entirely from their existing station computer system for security's sake, their costs are basically a one-time investment of ~$500 (barebones computer plus wireless router, plus a basic KVM switch so there's no need for a second monitor and keyboard), $50 for someone's time to set it up if they don't have a handy volunteer, and $35/month for DSL service from a local provider. Figure an annual budget of under $600 (includes $100/year towards replacing hardware).

I'm guessing they'd need to pull in one or two extra passengers per month to break even. Word of mouth spreading the news of Amtrak's goodwill should easily accomplish that and then some.

Paging Mr. Fremaux...
Great idea! Pretty cheap to implement, too--even if they want to separate this entirely from their existing station computer system for security's sake, their costs are basically a one-time investment of ~$500 (barebones computer plus wireless router, plus a basic KVM switch so there's no need for a second monitor and keyboard), $50 for someone's time to set it up if they don't have a handy volunteer, and $35/month for DSL service from a local provider. Figure an annual budget of under $600 (includes $100/year towards replacing hardware).

I'm guessing they'd need to pull in one or two extra passengers per month to break even. Word of mouth spreading the news of Amtrak's goodwill should easily accomplish that and then some.

I think they maybe paying a lot more than $35 a month if they plan to distribute it, most $35 a month plans have some kind of restriction where you cant give away free access to everyone...but than again I could be wrong

Here in the UK, one train company (GNER) does have wifi on-board, I think it uses a satellite link and 3G/GPRS. It's free for first class, standard (ie. coach) class is something like 5 ukp for an hour, although 10ukp will get you all day access. I've used it a few times, it's okay for email and a bit of surfing, checking the news/sports etc, but the connection isn't going to support things like Skype, or playing games.
I've used that on the journey between Peterborough and Glasgow. It was good but pricey for a 8 hour journey when you consider it wasn't the best connection (or maybe I've been spoiled by 20mb Broadband or JANET access) so I only used it once on the way up but it was a lot cheaper than the cost of the internet at the Premier Inn in Glasgow.

One rather nice little free thing though was if you turned on your wireless internet and went to their webpage it had a little map showing where the train was. No town names but it was a nice little thing to have.

I seem to remember reading that when National Express take over the franchise for the route that GNER currently run they will make internet free for both classes. But I'll believe that when I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back