Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are taking the Silver Star, train car 9110 with 2 rooomettes. Not sure what to expect. It's my wife and my 2 boys. I just hope we can keep busy and the scenery out the window is interesting. I booked it
to try something different. Hoping for the best.
Does anyone know if the train is usually on time. We are getting on in Newark NJ,

We are taking the Silver Star, train car 9110 with 2 rooomettes. Not sure what to expect. It's my wife and my 2 boys. I just hope we can keep busy and the scenery out the window is interesting. I booked it
to try something different. Hoping for the best.
Does anyone know if the train is usually on time. We are getting on in Newark NJ,
It is quite likely to be on time in Newark NJ. By the time it gets to Florida it may be anywhere between on time and a few hours behind schedule. It will be daylight into North Carolina but not quite to Raleigh as I seem to recall, and then it will be daylight in Florida. Once you leave the Potomac Valley it will be lots of trees interspersed by occasional interesting things. Richmond to Petersburg you cross a couple of interesting rivers. In Florida from Jacksonville South you will basically be in the St. Johns River basin, a river that you will cross a couple of times. Lots of water bodies, farms, orchards.

Last edited:
It is quite likely to be on time in Newark NJ. By the time it gets to Florida it may be anywhere between on time and a few hours behind schedule. It will be daylight into North Carolina but not quite to Raleigh as I seem to recall, and then it will be daylight in Florida. Once you leave the Potomac Valley it will be lots of trees interspersed by occasional interesting things. Richmond to Petersburg you cross a couple of interesting rivers. In Florida from Jacksonville South you will basically be in the St. Johns River basin, a river that you will cross a couple of times. Lots of water bodies, farms, orchards.
"Once you leave the Potomac Valley it will be lots of trees interspersed by occasional interesting things...." But although Anthony doesn't mention his boys' ages and tastes, let's hope the most interesting thing for them will be the train itself. For kids jaded by auto trips and even by flying, a train trip is a thrill! Especially in 2 roomettes. Sleeping on the train has strong novelty value.

Hello,

I am Tony from NJ. This weekend will be my families for long distance trip from NJ for Florida. Thank you for letting me on the forum.

I think eating in the dining car will be a treat for kids of any age.

A few other things to look for:

While still in the mid-Atlantic, you’ll get the Philly skyline and the zoo on the left. Also, on the right side at Wilmington, there is a mural of a whale on the side of an office building—the kids can have a contest seeing who can spot it first.

At Washington, it’s fun to watch the engine change, especially if it’s the first time you’ve seen it.

Leaving Washington, you get the Washington Monument and Jefferson Memorial on the right.

I don’t know how far you’re going in Florida, but there is a nice view of Winter Park (the stop before Orlando) on the left.

I’m from NJ, too, and have taken the Star to Winter Park several times and enjoyed the trip.

I think NJ to Florida (even if you go all the way to Miami) is a perfect length for a first long-distance trip.

Hope you all have a wonderful time, and please let us know how it goes.

my 2 boys are high functioning Autistic 20 and 22 and will love it! I am just a person who wants to make it all perfect. I appreciatte the insight from you all!

I think eating in the dining car will be a treat for kids of any age.

A few other things to look for:

While still in the mid-Atlantic, you’ll get the Philly skyline and the zoo on the left. Also, on the right side at Wilmington, there is a mural of a whale on the side of an office building—the kids can have a contest seeing who can spot it first.

At Washington, it’s fun to watch the engine change, especially if it’s the first time you’ve seen it.

Leaving Washington, you get the Washington Monument and Jefferson Memorial on the right.

I don’t know how far you’re going in Florida, but there is a nice view of Winter Park (the stop before Orlando) on the left.

I’m from NJ, too, and have taken the Star to Winter Park several times and enjoyed the trip.

I think NJ to Florida (even if you go all the way to Miami) is a perfect length for a first long-distance trip.

Hope you all have a wonderful time, and please let us know how it goes.
We are going to Kissimee. This all sounds like fun! Thank You!

Back