Nifty trick for converting electronic travel certificates from Custome

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reppin_the_847

Service Attendant
Now you're probably wondering what the point is for converting an electronic travel certificate into an eVoucher. Simple... You can redeem the eVoucher online anytime you want, 24 hours a day. In order to redeem a travel certificate, you have to contact Customer Relations during business hours (Monday thru Friday 7 AM to 10 PM), and sometimes the wait times are atrocious and you won't even get thru. Particularly in the evening. Particularly when you are in a hurry to redeem the certificate.

Why do some folks get electronic travel certificates in the first place? Simple, you might have traveled on a train that was absurdly delayed for some reason (usually 1 hour or more). For example, I was recently on a train that was 4+ hours delayed in the Midwest due to a pedestrian incident. This is a prime example.

So you get ANY itinerary reservation generated from Guest Rewards or 800-USA-RAIL, then call into Customer Relations and apply the certificate to the itinerary (hopefully it matches up or is slightly higher so that you can just pay the difference with your CC). Then you later call into Guest Rewards or USA Rail and CANCEL the reservation. At this point the ticket will be converted into an eVoucher. Hopefully no one here is against my advice or thinks that I am trying to game the system. According to Amtrak's current system, you are entitled to compensation when the scenario is appropriate. Besides, most of us here still bring Amtrak solid revenue & ridership in some way, shape or form.

I may be doing the same thing. A friend had a voucher that she wasn't going to use, so we met up at the train station and she bought me a ticket with the voucher [SIZE=13.63636302948px](I pd the slight difference) [/SIZE]. I did buy a ticket for a train that I might use, but with the knowledge that if I don't use it I can call to cancel it and get an eVoucher for it.

Back