NJ Transit Budget numbers for 2014

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not positive, but I believe the "Amtrak Joint Benefits Program" refers to station work/construction on shared stations such as Newark Penn. I think at this stage of the Gateway process, the funds are sourced from the fed.

Does "Amtrak Joint Benefits Projects" refer to the Gateway Project?
Beyond some funds for the (north) Portal Bridge replacement, I don't think any of the NJT funds are going to the Gateway project in the current 5 year capital program budget plan. Do a google search for the 5 year plan and see what is in it.

Ok, found a link to the NJ DOT & Transit proposed FY2014 Transportation Capital Program document (PDF file). The NEC improvement outlay is modest this year, but increases in FY2015 to FY2018. The NEC Improvements are described as:

Funding is provided for improvements to the Northeast Corridor (NEC) to maintain state of good repair, increase capacity, and improve efficiency. Funding is provided for AMTRAK joint benefit projects and for NJ TRANSIT projects such as, Midline Loop in North Brunswick, New Jersey including associated track and station improvements; platform extensions; improvements at New York Penn Station; and yard improvements.
There is only $20 million in the NJT Capital Program for the Portal Bridge replacement, so Amtrak clearly has major work ahead to assemble the funding to build the new (north) Portal Bridge, let alone get started on Gateway. But this thread was about the NJ Transit budget, not Amtrak.

Back