NJ Transit "Comet Cars" in California?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can confirm this is AMTK 90218.

The new Amtrak California livery on this "Non-Powered Control Unit" (NPCU) looks a lot like the old CalTrain livery. It has the same colors and shape of the stripes, same red/white nose and it's even been named "Oakland."

There are some old New Jersey transit cars on a side railing between the Newhall Metrolink and Santa Clarita Metrolink stops on the Antelope Valley line in Southern California. Some folks may see them if they take the Tehachapi Loop trip. Thully mentioned them on one of his trip reports when he was going to Magic Mountain although I don't think he knew what they were. He commented on the unusual cars there.
Yeah, those have been there for a while and are property of MetroLink. They are 'dead' cars in every sense of the word, and have an as-yet undetermined date with the scrapper. The cars purchased by California for the San Joaquin route are a whole different set of cars and are completely rebuilt.
Thanks for the info and I wonder why Metrolink would have the darn things. That track used to have interesting old train cars that were being used for movies but now those hulks sit there.

At SJVRC on Thursday Caltrans is targeting for the first set to be delivered by summer. They will use it on the lowest ridership turn (I believe it was 711/718 but don't quote me on that) and break that set up and put it on the other train set. The next set is supposed going to be delivered in fall in time for the Thanksgiving rush.

No P40's, any extra trains will have to wait until the F59 rebuilds are complete. However there are 3 Horizon food service cars coming along with the Comets.

No P40's, any extra trains will have to wait until the F59 rebuilds are complete. However there are 3 Horizon food service cars coming along with the Comets.
How certain are you that there are no P-40's Two sources were used in coming up with the following, although I held out calling this certain until a third source came up:

Additional, CalTrans has supposedly (this is unconfirmed, but these locomotives are reported to be under active rebuild by Amtrak) also purchased three Amtrak P40DC locomotives to be used on Amtrak California routes. The locomotives are #813, #825 and #827. This is to allow for more motive power owned by CTDX, allowing some portion of the Amtrak locomotive roster being used by Capitol Corridor/San Joaquin trains to be returned for use on the national network.

I have also heard from someone who talked to a guy at Oakland Facility that they were expecting three P40DC locomotives.

I figure these would be bought either from NJT (Cause they have 3 P40's they want to sell), or the three that were at Wilmington and sent to Beech Grove in the Fall.

If they did actually purchase the three P40DC's, they would probably take a heck of a lot longer, since they sat for a very long time.

I have my own photo proof of one of the ex-Amtrak P40s running on New Jersey transit 2 months ago. It would be kind of funny if they bought those locomotives (nearly full circle Amtrak-NJT-Amtrak) to power ex-NJT equipment that never operated with the P40s purchased for the ACES service.

Wonder if the cars will be in service by next June, the next time I'm in California, I really want to get some photos of NJT cars somewhere else. Already have them on FrontRunner (not Metrolink though).

The cycle would be more like (Amtrak-NJT-CalTrans), but only reason I suggestion NJT, is that they have been wanting to get rid of the P40DC's they have.

There were in the fall 3 P40DC's moved out of Bear Facility and sat at Wilmington for a few days,then moved to Beech Grove. Those could be the 3 P40's being rumored on.

As for the service of the Comets. Your in luck. The first ones are being delivered this week. Service is expected to start by Summer time, and all of them ready to go before Thanksgiving.

I know the colors scheme hasn't been favored on the Cabbages, but it's the Comet's that I believe will make it look a heck of a lot better.

They are expected to be sent on the California Zephyr.

How certain are you that there are no P-40's Two sources were used in coming up with the following, although I held out calling this certain until a third source came up:
I got the information firsthand from an in-the-loop Amtrak Manager, is about all I can say without giving my source and myself up. I will try and confirm with someone from Caltrans / PB (Parsons Brinckerhoff) when I get a chance.

There were in the fall 3 P40DC's moved out of Bear Facility and sat at Wilmington for a few days,then moved to Beech Grove. Those could be the 3 P40's being rumored on.
Those would be 800:

Philly_Train_Trip_37 by Ryan Stavely, on Flickr

801:

Philly_Train_Trip_38 by Ryan Stavely, on Flickr

and 806:

Philly_Train_Trip_39 by Ryan Stavely, on Flickr

I thought that there were more than 3, but it only looks like I got pictures of 3 (I'll have to check my "rejects" when I get home to see if there were any others lurking in the background of a shot I didn't post).

800 is actually in NJT colors and was renumbered 4800. The units moved before were 828 for sure and the other two I believe were 826 and 813.

800 is not 4800. The former 812 is.

And it is a lot more than 800 801 and 806 which were moved. All remaining amtrak unrebuilt P40s were transferred to BEE. To copy and paste, from OTOL"800-806, 811, 813, 826-828, 839", although I saw 825 in the line up as well.

Huh okay. That's what happens when you assume. :D

I forgot about the remaining units being moved too. Thanks for the reminder.

Found this video, very awesome shot too.. The Cabbage don't look as bad in the video I have to say.

Nothing out of the ordinary in the yard in Oakland today. Just some left over cars for the Fun Train this weekend that didn't make it onto the Snow Train today. The NPCU might be inside getting checked out. If any other cars come in I'll try to post what I observe here.

I rode NJ Transit this morning in a car with maroon seats (2 and 3 across) that looks very much like the photos of a Comet V. I have been in it (or another of the same type) a couple of times before (it has always been on the end, so becomes the Quiet Car, which I like).

Is this possible? Are there still a few of these in New Jersey and being used by NJ Transit?

Thanks in advance to the experts here for any insight.

NJTransit still has many many Comet Vs in service. It has not sold any of those to anyone. Additionally, all the west of Hudson MNRR cars are Comet Vs too, which sometimes find their way onto non-MNRR trains of NJT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I see. Thanks for the clarification, jis.

They are attractive and a nice treat when I come across them. (The seats aren't as comfortable as they look, but I'm only on there for 15 minutes, so I don't mind.)

There were 265 Comet Vs acquired between NJT and MNRR. Of these 263 are currently in service in New Jersey.

BTW, the NJT cars that were refurbished at Beech Grove for use on the San Joaquins are the so called Comarrows or Comet 1Bs which started their life as EMU Arrow I cars, 30 of which ran as de-motored trailer Comet 1B on NJT for a while before being retired. CalDOT acquired 14 of them and had them rebuilt at Beech Grove for use on the San Joaquin service (and perhaps others). I rode them over this last weekend. They have done a really good job of refurbishing them. It appears that their plan is to have 3 consists each of 4 Comarrows, one Horizon food service car (also with CDTX mark) one NPCU and one CalDOT locomotive, the loco facing north out of Bakersfield and south at Oakland. AFAICT at present only a single consist is used on 712/717.

I am on 712 now and prefer these comet cars to the Horizon cars we have back in Michigan, although they do ride rough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back