NJT vs. Car in Hasbrouck heights

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viewliner

Engineer
The accident involved Train 1627 (Outbound) and at least 1 car in Hasbrouck Heights near Route 17 on the Pascack Valley Line. NBC 4 says service is suspended on the Pascack Valley line.

I think this was bad because I think lots of Passagers need to take a other way to travel when this accident happen on NJ Transit's Pascack Valley line I think what do you think about this?

I'm not completely sure about all of the details yet, but at least two cars were involved in this accident. I don't know if the train struck both, or if the first car hit the second car after being struck by the train.

This intersection is prone to this type of accident, since the local street that the tracks cross intersects with Route 17 a major highway. There is only room for about 12 - 14 cars in two lanes between the traffic light at 17 and the tracks.

On many occasions I've seen cars stopped on the tracks, that couldn't make it all the way over thanks to a red light and stopped cars ahead of them. People just don't seem to learn that stopping on the tracks is not a good thing.

I fully expect to see even more of these types of accidents, as service is expected to increase on this line thanks to a project to create some new sidings along with a few double track areas. Currently this line is mainly single track.

By 7:30 PM service was restored on this line, but delays were still in excess of 45 minutes. That's saying a lot, since this line only sees 7 rush hour trains all running north.

AlanB said:
I'm not completely sure about all of the details yet, but at least two cars were involved in this accident. I don't know if the train struck both, or if the first car hit the second car after being struck by the train.
This intersection is prone to this type of accident, since the local street that the tracks cross intersects with Route 17 a major highway. There is only room for about 12 - 14 cars in two lanes between the traffic light at 17 and the tracks.

On many occasions I've seen cars stopped on the tracks, that couldn't make it all the way over thanks to a red light and stopped cars ahead of them. People just don't seem to learn that stopping on the tracks is not a good thing.

I fully expect to see even more of these types of accidents, as service is expected to increase on this line thanks to a project to create some new sidings along with a few double track areas. Currently this line is mainly single track.

By 7:30 PM service was restored on this line, but delays were still in excess of 45 minutes. That's saying a lot, since this line only sees 7 rush hour trains all running north.
Wow sounds like one of the grade crossings here in Lafayette La :angry:

BNSF_1088 said:
Wow sounds like one of the grade crossings here in Lafayette La :angry:
Actually this line parallels route 17 for a while, so there are about three crossings like I described.

I can also think of a few other NJ crossing that have a similar problem.

I actually happened to be in NJ tonight and was driving up Route 17 around 8:00 PM, but there were no longer any visible traces of the accident when I went by. Perhaps if it had still been light I might have been able to see something. But with the wreckage cleared away, and the train released one wouldn't have known that a serious accident had just occurred a few hours earlier.

Ok, for the Northern NJ geographicaly illiterate how far away from Paramus (the only place I"ve driven on 17) is the site of this wreck.

tp49 said:
Ok, for the Northern NJ geographicaly illiterate how far away from Paramus (the only place I"ve driven on 17) is the site of this wreck.
TP,

It's probably about 4 miles south of Paramus and maybe 2 miles north of the Meadowlands and Giant's Stadium.

If you've ever driven on I-80 in NJ, then you drove thru a corner of Hasbrouck Heights right where I-80 intersects Rt 17.

Alan, ok I have driven I-80 end to end a couple of years ago so I have been through there. I now have a rough idea as to where it is. It's just been awhile since I've been through north jersey (last march on the train, and longer by car).

Back