No more Amtrak on Ebay?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coachseats

Service Attendant
I noticed today that there are not any more Amtrak tickets for sale on ebay as they had been previously. I had heard a rumor that Amtrak was going to do away with selling on ebay and scale back or eliminate its "rail sale" part of amtrak.com. The rail sale options certainly have been more limited as well lately. Does anyone know if this is for good, or just a pause for the busy holiday season? One would think that they would want to have these marketing options available, at least during the slower winter months. An empty seat earns no money, one I paid 20 bucks for on ebay at least makes 20 bucks. As for myself, I'll certainly have to cut back my trips if these deals go away for good.

I don't know about you, but I'm still seeing 10 auctions open on the eBay site, and some good trains on Rail Sale. Does Amtrak usually scale back during the holidays, yes, because there is demand. The only reason why Amtrak does it in the first place is because they have large supply, but no demand, so they create demand, but at a reduced rate. Since the holidays are here, and there's more demand than there is supply, they have to scale back. That's why there are blackout dates on promotions, fewer auctions, etc. because there is demand. It's all in supply and demand.

Hooray! They did add a few new auctions this afternoon after my above post. Not as many as usual, but at least it is enough to keep my hopes and dreams alive. I don't know about anyone else, but planning out my trips and figuring out how to get the best deals are almost as much fun as the trip itself. I hope to do the SWC from CHI to Los Angeles to visit relatives, but plan to wait until it gets good and cold here so I can enjoy some warm California sun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back