No More In-Ride Movies

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the dig-e-player is an AT option now, but is it the only option? NO lounge movies? Anyone?
Well back when movies in general were eliminated from Amtrak trains, the Cascades service and the Auto Train were the only two trains that were spared from the elimination of onboard movies. I haven't heard that that decision has been changed, but anything is possible.
To the best of my knowledge, the movies on the Auto Train continue as before. Passengers have the option of also renting the digeplayer. By the way, the digeplayer is so simple, even I can make it work and I am in the same class as the person who can't get the VCR to work properly.
I'll try to remember to post once he makes his trip south on March 18... He won't want to fork up the $20/$25 bucks for the player if its offered...

Actually starting later this month one will be able to rent digEplayer on board the Empire Builder and the Coast Starlight, in addition to renting it at the end point stations that the trains serve.
The loss of the free movies was extensively discussed back in October at the time it was done. As a quick recap, the movies were basically discontinued on all trains, not just the SW Chief. Movies do remain onboard the Talgo trains.
you can also rent them on the captial limited .

Last edited:
Actually starting later this month one will be able to rent digEplayer on board the Empire Builder and the Coast Starlight, in addition to renting it at the end point stations that the trains serve.

The loss of the free movies was extensively discussed back in October at the time it was done. As a quick recap, the movies were basically discontinued on all trains, not just the SW Chief. Movies do remain onboard the Talgo trains.
That's one that I haven't heard about yet. Have you done this?

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServe...31&ssid=562

Onboard Rentals - Test ProgramdigEplayers may be rented onboard Capitol Limited trains between Chicago and Washingon, DC, for 30 days beginning January 4, 2007.
Don't know whether they'll continue it or not, but I should be on Thursday's #29, so I'll try to keep an eye and ear out. May actually take the splurge too.

Amtrak's inability to maintain control of their employees (and others) from damaging, stealing, and otherwise maiming onboard entertainment equipment has rendered the in-ride movie obsolete. No such service exists (at least on the SW Chief) any more.
The official explanation is that because DigEplayer is now available (for a fee, of course), that there is no longer the need to have movies in the Lounge/Cafe car any more.

This is the most ridiculous explanation that I've heard. First of all, digEplayers are only available at major hub stations (ie: LAX, EMY, SEA, POR, CHI, and both ends of the Auto Train). You're out of luck to obtain one if you don't board at these major stations.

One of my gripes when I rode the SW Chief in the Summer was that they showed the movie before it even got dark and people wanted to be in the lounge car to enjoy the scenery. So, now in the Winter when it is dark for all but about the first 30 and last 60 minutes between ABQ and LAX, I was really looking forward to enjoying a show (which, yes, they edit to G, but they showed pre-dvd release movies).

I was very bummed that they didn't do this.
I am glad that they took the movies off as too often I wanted to sit in the lounge car at night, but the movies were playing.

bill

yes you can rent them in lounge car on the cp and then return them back to the lounge car attendant when you done. u can only used a credit card.

For Christmas, my wife gave me a GPS unit that also has a built in DVD player, speakers or headphones. The GPS shows all the normal stuff GPS' show including speed, altitude, etc. Has its own suction mount for a window and runs on 110 or a 4 hour battery that has a nice charger.
So, I can tell where I am, or watch a DVD if I want.

For Christmas, my wife gave me a GPS unit that also has a built in DVD player, speakers or headphones. The GPS shows all the normal stuff GPS' show including speed, altitude, etc. Has its own suction mount for a window and runs on 110 or a 4 hour battery that has a nice charger.

So, I can tell where I am, or watch a DVD if I want.
I have not seen a GPS with a built in DVD player. What is the brand?
Polaroid - see this LINK.
Walmart carries them!
I wasn't aware that Polaroid made such an interesting toy! Sounds like a really nice gift - especially for traveling.

I also make a point of following the train via my GPS receiver and at times play DVDs and CDs on my laptop. Given the power connections - my seat often looks like its wired.

I have mixed opinions about the "lounge car movie". Fundamentally - its a reasonable idea, but more practically I found it awkward watching movies in the lounge car. Realizing its not practical to put TV screens everywhere, I found it was not easy to watch the movie unless you were one of the first several passengers who assembled near a TV screen. I also found the sound volume was typically too low for those watching the movie, or too high for those who were just sitting back or conversing with others. This is not a complaint - its just difficult to please two crowds who occupy the same space.

The only issue I have with the digi-players is the direct marketing tactics the sales folks use in the first class lounges. Its one thing to have a poster to advertise the service, its another thing when the sales folks walk around and make a point of interupting you to tell you about the service.

Deimos

Polaroid - see this LINK.
Walmart carries them!
I wasn't aware that Polaroid made such an interesting toy! Sounds like a really nice gift - especially for traveling.
I've used it in my car for directions. I need to get back on a train to see how it works there. My wife got the one with the DVD as we tote the grandkids around and they can watch a movie while traveling.

I recently had a flight from FL to KC. They asked if I wanted to rent a DigEplayer and I decided to. I am not up on technology at all so I figured I would be completely lost and not even be able to get the thing to work. I was amazed at how easy it was. Plus, the amount of movies that we had a choice to watch also surprised me. On the CZ, I had a hard time hearing the movie in the Sightseer car because of all the talking etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps one other thing to throw in the mix here would be the fact that you cannot find anyplace that sells or rents VHS videos anymore (Blockbuster, etc.) and try to find a place that sells VHS players. So I assume that with it's limited finances, not to purchase DVD players and deal with the whole thing directly again, makes much sense for Amtrak.
It's pretty much a moot point, but there are some sections of the country where VHS sales exist. Panasonic still has two standalone VHS VCRs in the lineup: the PV-V4525S, and the PV-V4624S.

Tape stinks, especially when you deal with it on a professional level as I have over the past 25 years, but it's still going to be around in daily use for the next dozen years or less. Amtrak couldn't get rid of their video playback equipment fast enough, IMO.

Tape stinks, especially when you deal with it on a professional level as I have over the past 25 years, but it's still going to be around in daily use for the next dozen years or less. Amtrak couldn't get rid of their video playback equipment fast enough, IMO.
Well in all fairness, Amtrak's equipment does take a beating even without the theft factor. The video playback equipment that you use would be toast if you installed into a boucning train after just a few years.

It should also be noted that getting those tapes was a hefty expense for Amtrak. They didn't just run down to the corner video store and rent a tape for the journey. These were specially made tapes that usually contained two first run movies (movies that weren't yet available to the general public), as well as a TV comedy episode, and usually a comic strip or two for the kiddies.

Amtrak wasn't getting these tapes for 10 bucks at the local Blockbuster.

Well in all fairness, Amtrak's equipment does take a beating even without the theft factor. The video playback equipment that you use would be toast if you installed into a boucning train after just a few years.
Unless one purchases the professional broadcast gear, which is rebuilt endlessly, it seems. Small market television stations in the USA are by far, the most miserly businesses on the planet. Even more so than Amtrak.B)

Someone told me the VCRs in Amtrak cars were consumer grade, but that was one source. Perhaps someone else might be able to clarify that for us, as strictly an academic exercise.

It should also be noted that getting those tapes was a hefty expense for Amtrak. They didn't just run down to the corner video store and rent a tape for the journey. These were specially made tapes that usually contained two first run movies (movies that weren't yet available to the general public), as well as a TV comedy episode, and usually a comic strip or two for the kiddies.
A good point. The studios want their cut. Period. I knew that, but I didn't mention it when posting. Chalk one up for clarifying, Alan!

Exactly, Alan. The vibration takes a toll on everything. Especially any electronics like the VCR's, microwaves, cash registers, and coffee machines. It's brutal on them. Especially those Casio cash registers. They were always unhappy! The movies I had were each on an idividual tape. We were sent out with 6 tapes if I remember correctly. I also seem to remember being told the value of them was $80 each...which we would owe for any not returned. The movies were first run as you described, but are also licensed or legal to be shown in a public setting. Regular videotapes technically aren't. I don't know the exact laws or anything, though. :)

Exactly, Alan. The vibration takes a toll on everything. Especially any electronics like the VCR's, microwaves, cash registers, and coffee machines. It's brutal on them. Especially those Casio cash registers. They were always unhappy! The movies I had were each on an idividual tape. We were sent out with 6 tapes if I remember correctly. I also seem to remember being told the value of them was $80 each...which we would owe for any not returned. The movies were first run as you described, but are also licensed or legal to be shown in a public setting. Regular videotapes technically aren't. I don't know the exact laws or anything, though. :)
Ok, I see that the Sightseer lounge tapes were different than the ones that they used in the Viewliner sleepers. I rarely, if ever, stayed to watch the movies in the Sightseer lounge so my experience with them is minimal. But not only have I seen many a movie in the Viewliners, but one attendant actually did show me that tape, and it was a single tape as I described above. The attendant could shove it into the tape player and basically forget about it for about 5 hours or so, before they'd have to come back and hit rewind.

As much as I enjoyed the diversion of watching movies in the lounge car, the fact of the matter is more passengers are bringing on board, their laptop and dvd players and watching/listening to their tapes using headsets. This makes lounge car movies an uneccessary expense now. I also started getting tired of not being able to see the screen, incessant talking and jumpy video. I now take my portable dvd player with me now.

Are the movies still offered on the Auto Train?? I thought I saw that they were...

My 72 year-old dad is taking AT in a couple of weeks to FL... He can't work his 1989 vcr let alone the digeplayer. He will be disappointed (as I imagine will others from his generation) at the loss of the movies in the lounge of the AT...

I know the dig-e-player is an AT option now, but is it the only option? NO lounge movies? Anyone?
Just got off the phone with my dad who ate at the 5:00 p.m. dinner seating on the Auto Train tonight and is now watching "Marie Antoinette" in the lounge car. He's having a blast. This one-way trip was a gift from my sister's and my families to get my dad to FL without all of the driving alone. He is loving it--his first time alone on the A-T.

I have had only positive experiences on the long-distance trains with the lounge movies. We have always managed to find a spot where we could see/hear and usually end up meeting others watching the flick and talking about it afterwards. Again, this is a communal experience which distinguishes train travel from other modes...

TVs in bars don't seem to bother most people... Not sure why such a strong reaction from so many on this post about an occasional movie in the lounge car...

Just got off the phone with my dad who ate at the 5:00 p.m. dinner seating on the Auto Train tonight and is now watching "Marie Antoinette" in the lounge car. He's having a blast. This one-way trip was a gift from my sister's and my families to get my dad to FL without all of the driving alone. He is loving it--his first time alone on the A-T.
Glad he's having a great time. :)

TVs in bars don't seem to bother most people... Not sure why such a strong reaction from so many on this post about an occasional movie in the lounge car...
Well I don't go to a bar to take in the many beautiful sights that can be found in this country.

Could the Acela cafe cars (which have tv's in them) do CNN or MSNBC or whatever once WiFi is enabled? Could other trains?

Could the Acela cafe cars (which have tv's in them) do CNN or MSNBC or whatever once WiFi is enabled? Could other trains?
Well anything is technically possible, the question is "where's the money coming from to make it happen?"

my wife and i rented on last summer when we went to tampa, my ownly regret was renting it through to DC wished i could have made it for the whole trip. we liked and thought it was worth the 30bucks myself

and i do plan on getting it again for this summers trip

Last edited by a moderator:
I made several phone calls to Amtrak over the past few days, working on reservations for a trip this summer. Only on my last call did one of the agents mention the Digiplayer, and she promoted it quite heavily.

I just thought that was curious- you think it would either be a required part of the agent's spiel, or it wouldn't. Was the one agent promoting it on her own, or were the other 3-4 failing to do their job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back