No ticket scanning, again...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those not scanned simply get accounted for as if they are no shows.
Well that's not exactly correct either.

Depending on various circumstances, Amtrak can auto-recognize revenue. That means that all tickets will show as collected, even if one actually did miss the train. When that does happen, and you've missed the train for some reason, it can make things a lot of fun trying to get your refund or credit to new reservation.
Quick question: Shall I still get refund if I missed the train and I purchased the eticket from the station agent? How could Amtrak find me?

Those not scanned simply get accounted for as if they are no shows.
Well that's not exactly correct either.

Depending on various circumstances, Amtrak can auto-recognize revenue. That means that all tickets will show as collected, even if one actually did miss the train. When that does happen, and you've missed the train for some reason, it can make things a lot of fun trying to get your refund or credit to new reservation.
Quick question: Shall I still get refund if I missed the train and I purchased the eticket from the station agent? How could Amtrak find me?
You can get an eVoucher for any unused ticket as long as you have the confirmation or ticket number. I'm thinking it might even be possible to look this up via name and train number with date/time. However, if you don't leave an email address or AGR number when you buy the ticket, there's no way for them to find you. You'd have to affirmatively seek the eVoucher.

I have traveled on two trains (LSL & TE) recently where my ticket was not scanned.

I stopped the Conductor in the dining car and asked if he wanted to scan my ticket.

He looked at me and said you are in room 5? I responded yes and he said he had

already processed my ticket although he had not scanned it. There must be some

way they can record your boarding other than scanning.

I have traveled on two trains (LSL & TE) recently where my ticket was not scanned.I stopped the Conductor in the dining car and asked if he wanted to scan my ticket.

That, too, has happened to me the last couple of times I was traveling in a sleeper.

I have traveled on two trains (LSL & TE) recently where my ticket was not scanned.I stopped the Conductor in the dining car and asked if he wanted to scan my ticket.

There is; the conductor can pull up the manifest on his phone in alpha order and check people in by last name. And in the case of the sleepers, he can figure out who is in what room and simply check you in that way.

Most don't do that, since it's still easier to scan the barcode and hit the button, but again it can be done manually.

Several ways to do it. It can be done by guessing that a passenger on the manifest showed up, as has been mentioned. It can be looked up by name, reservation number, or ticket number.

In Sleeper (or Business) Class, my experience has been the conductor confirming our name and checking us in without even looking at our ticket or scanning it.

Last year on the Pacific Surfliner (Business class), the AC I believe, came through the car and wrote our reservation numbers on a piece of paper. Never got recorded and I got no points. Our ticket was purchased before eTicket and used after eTicket implemented. When I called AGR she was surprised I still had the entire ticket in my hand! I did get the points.

In May I traveled on the CS # 14 from Klamath Falls, OR to Seattle, WA and my eticket wasn't scanned. I was flagged as a "no show" and issued a voucher. Later called AGR and they credited me for the points and canceled the voucher. I didn't realize at the time that I needed my eticket scanned in order to get AGR points but it makes sense. Whenever I've had trouble getting points I've earned I have always called AGR and gotten results. No problem.

Back