NOL - LAX - San Jose (with stopover?)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sitzplatz17

Lead Service Attendant
Hi everyone,

While I am well vetted in the world of Skymiles and points redemption, I have much to learn about AGR.

I was hoping to book a 20,000 point two-zone roomette from NOL - LAX with a day in LAX and a next morning departure on the Starlight to San Fran (San Jose).

It's seems to me from the other forums that it's pretty clear that I can NOT do an overnight in LA.

So I guess my question is does anyone out there have some alternate routing?(aside from going directly through on the same day!)

I was considering a stint down to SAN to bring it under 24 hours, but that doesn't seem to help either.

I appreciate any advice/ideas y'all can send my way!

(and apologize if this has been discussed many-a-time before)

Cheers,

-A rather naiive sitzplatz17

Pretty much, stopovers are not allowed when using AGR points. You must go straight through to San Fransico. If you want to go to SAN, I would book an AGR award through from NOL to SAN. Then just pay for the SAN to SF portion. It won't be that much more expensive. I know you're not getting the biggest bang for your points, but this is the only way to get more than a day in LA or SAN, other than the normal same day connection time.

I did ask the AGR agent one time about the connection between southbound Coast Starlight and next morning SWC. She said it's not valid even though I'll be paying hotel on my dime.
Strange

I am going from Emeryville to LA, stay the night and connect to Sunset Limited to New Orleans stay the night and connect to the Cressent and then on to Boston all for one 3 zone award ticket. Took them awhile to figure it out but the rule seems to be that overnight is allowed at your own expense if that is the next connection available.

Stan

the rule seems to be that overnight is allowed at your own expense if that is the next connection available.
The rule is whatever you can convince the agent the rule is. I don't believe that there are written rules for long-distance AGR redemptions. I've never heard of an itinerary with two overnight layovers, though, so congratulations!

I've never convinced an agent to allow me a stopover in Chicago (say between the eastbound Empire Builder and the westbound Southwest Chief), but I think that's because I've never been lucky or charming enough.

the rule seems to be that overnight is allowed at your own expense if that is the next connection available.
The rule is whatever you can convince the agent the rule is. I don't believe that there are written rules for long-distance AGR redemptions. I've never heard of an itinerary with two overnight layovers, though, so congratulations!
This. lol I think they really need to write down some rules on a laminated piece of paper next to every agent's desk. It would make things more fair for everyone even though those that got lucky with stop-overs and overnights would no longer get overnights...lol

I've never convinced an agent to allow me a stopover in Chicago (say between the eastbound Empire Builder and the westbound Southwest Chief), but I think that's because I've never been lucky or charming enough.
So one couldn't co CS from LA to connect to the CZ b/c of the overnight? Have to take one of the bus/train combos so the connection in SAC/EME or wherever would be better?

Dan

Back