NOL to LAX

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caravanman

Engineer
I have been trying to find availability on the Sunset from NOL to LAX in Jan 2006 in a sleeper, all seem fully booked? Going the opposite way is no problem...is this a real situation or a "glitch"?

I know the situation in NOL is still v. difficult, but can anyone advise of any hotel near NOL station which is open for business?

Thanks in advance, Ed B)

The Sunset Limited may or may not be fully booked in sleepers, but they have probably cancelled all available inventory until they get the existing passengers sorted out among the eight transition sleeper rooms that are available for public sale. If some trains had more than eight sleeper rooms sold, they might have to move people around to different days to accommodate them. Of course, this requires contacting all the passengers and letting them know, finding ways to reaccommodate them, etc.

Once all this is done, any remaining rooms will be released for sale.

Hi Ed,

There are quite a few hotels which are now open to the public in the CBD area of the city, all of which are just a mile or two at most from the station. Here's a partial list:

Lowe's

Intercontinental

Windsor Court

Monteleone

Holiday Inn-Superdome

Marriott

Sheraton

Renaissance Arts Hotel

Springhull Suites - Convention Center

Right now Ive heard that approx. 12,000 hotel rooms are up and running and another 10,000 will be open by New Years, so you should have no trouble finding something in the city.

Just catch a cab outside of the terminal and it's a quick ride no matter which hotel you choose.

Enjoy your visit!

Ed, another possible reason why the sleepers are already showing "sold out" is that there is not going to be a full-fledged sleeping car on the Sunset for a while it looks like. They are only going to be selling roomette's in the transition sleeper when the train returns to NOL. So obviously the supply is down on the route. Hopefully before too long the train will have a regular sleeper.

AmtrakFan said:
When will they restore the full Sleeper?
Amtrak wants to evaluate ridership on the Sunset Limited before any decision is made to restore the sleeper. They also need to figure out how to handle crew accommodation issues during the NOL layover, as the sleeper attendant would be LAX-based.

AmtrakWPK said:
If all the sleeper rooms they make available sell out, what do they need to evaluate? Seems like the only evaluation needed is psychiatric at that point.
I don't think that the sleeping car was really sold out on that part of the route when caravanman checked. I think that Amtrak still had everything blocked for sale out of NOL, until they were 100% certain that the Sunset would definately resume service. Either that or someone was just slow on telling the computer to drop the block.

Back