NOLA hotels

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CNW

Service Attendant
Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced hotel in the French Quarter?

I stayed at the Hotel Provincial last September http://www.hotelprovincial.com/ when I took the Crescent to NO. It is in the southeastern part of the French Quarter. It is in a quiet block, was not overly expensive, but still charming and not far from the river. The staff was very good, my room was clean and comfortable. I thought it was a good deal for the money. It is in older buildings - it is the old historical part of town, afterall, and the rooms are a bit worn, but I would certainly stay there again. BTW, it is worth checking out Frenchman Street in the Faubourg Marigny neighborhood. It is not far from the Hotel Provincial and there are some great jazz clubs on it. It is WAY BETTER than the cheesy street known as Bourbon.

if you are arriving by train, we stayed at the choice hotels maison st charles which was, for us, within walking distance of the station. it is in the garden district, right on the st charles streetcar line. when we were there last september, a beautiful room was less than $60 and included a sumptuous breakfast. we got streetcar passes and toured the city. one of the nicer hotels, with a very nice staff, we have stayed in.

:hi: I'm your huckelberry on this one! Plas d'Armes right behind the Cathedral off Jackson Square, includes breakfast, close to everything, beautiful 200 year old building etc. :wub: Use Kayak.com to compare rates, I found it for $69 for two, it does depend when you go/whats going on etc. but I ve stayed in New Orleans probably 100 times and it's my favorite in the Quarter! Disclaimer: Parking is expensive, dont take a car, you dont need it! ^_^

I stayed at the Hotel St. Marie last year, and it was great. Really good location at Toulouse & Dauphine. It is a block off Bourbon St, but is just far enough off so it doesn't get the noise (and I had a room on the corner overlooking the street). Nice rooms, nice staff. I would definitely stay there again. Like most of the French Quarter, a $10 cab ride from the Amtrak station.

I like all of the hotels mentioned above. Don't forget eating and people watching is more important than sleeping when you are in the quarter. Don't miss the Louisana Kitchen... Chef Prudhome is the real thing.

Thanks everybody. Quite by accident I learned that my neighbor and husband had stayed at the Villa Convento during the Sugar Bowl and liked it. I checked into it and it is reputed to be the "House of the Rising Sun" from the long ago (well my era) song. I booked there and will let you all know how it goes in March (not Mardi Gras!)....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back