Non-disabled people in lower level coach

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainmans daughter

OBS Chief
Up until the last couple of years, my mother-in-law and her sister would take the train to visit each other - Chico to Oxnard. Recently, it has become too hard for them to do this, as they both have mobility issues now.

In October, my granddaughter and I are planning a to take mom-in-oaw on this trip. We can help her on and off, get her meals, even help her up to the SSL during a fresh air stop if she wants.

The thing I'm concerned about is that granddaughter and I will be taking up seats in the lower level coach that might be needed by disabled passengers. That seems selfish of us. We could get seats on the upper level and keep going downstairs to check on Mom, but she might feel we've dumped her down there.

What is the right thing to do?

I would take up space in the lower level first but when people who need them show up, you can always moves to the upper level. That is considering the train is not sold out,which it often is in summer but probably not in October.

Last edited by a moderator:
The lower level seats you see for sale on amtrak.com are in addition to the mobility/accessibility seats on the lower level "held back" and available by calling Amtrak and are available to anyone.

The problem of availability of those who need those seats is that they don't reserve them ahead of time and instead just reserve coach seats. Often, "regular" coach sells out and then everyone else has to select lower level coach when they don't really care where they sit.

Up until the last couple of years, my mother-in-law and her sister would take the train to visit each other - Chico to Oxnard. Recently, it has become too hard for them to do this, as they both have mobility issues now. In October, my granddaughter and I are planning a to take mom-in-oaw on this trip. We can help her on and off, get her meals, even help her up to the SSL during a fresh air stop if she wants. The thing I'm concerned about is that granddaughter and I will be taking up seats in the lower level coach that might be needed by disabled passengers. That seems selfish of us. We could get seats on the upper level and keep going downstairs to check on Mom, but she might feel we've dumped her down there. What is the right thing to do?
I understand your concern. However I would not worry about it too much. You're still using the seats as intended. Namely, to assist those who require or benefit from assistance. ^_^

My wife is mobility-impaired (with Physician's letter). If she chooses to sit on the lower level I sit with her. Any car attendant that hassels use might get hit with my cane (j/k)

I understand your concern. However I would not worry about it too much. You're still using the seats as intended. Namely, to assist those who require or benefit from assistance. ^_^
You won't get a better answer than this. Reserve the seats and enjoy your trip!

The wierd thing is, on the sleeping cars on the lower level they have the disabled bedroom. This IMHO is only good if you plan to spend the entire journey in the bottom of the car. If you want to go to the SSL, say every 3 or 4 hours, then you will be going up the steps so much more than if they just put the disabled bedroom up top.

The accessible bedroom in on the lower floor simply because if you can't climb stairs at all, there's no other way to get to it. For someone with limited mobility but who can still get up the stairs, you're probably better off in one of the standard bedrooms.

The accessible bedroom, on the lower level, is designed to accommodate wheelchairs. In that situation most folks aren't intending to climb any stairs.

The accessible bedroom in on the lower floor simply because if you can't climb stairs at all, there's no other way to get to it. For someone with limited mobility but who can still get up the stairs, you're probably better off in one of the standard bedrooms.
I remember on the CZ though, when there was someone that was not fully disabled and could climb stairs, but got the accessible room. Is that not suppose to happen?

I remember on the CZ though, when there was someone that was not fully disabled and could climb stairs, but got the accessible room. Is that not suppose to happen?
The accessible room is sold to anyone within x # of days before the trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back