North America Rail Pass: the full circle...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesontheroad

OBS Chief
Many thanks to the considerable assistance received on and off the forum by regulars here re: my previous post about getting every cent's worth out of a North America Rail Pass. The trip has unfortunately had to be scaled down, but in doing so there's a good chance of my girlfriend (if she can get a flight from England) joining me for the last part of the trip.

So, now for another humble request for your suggestions. The itinerary has been confirmed as follows - please take a moment to consider my questions as listed below...

4/21 - 68 dep. Montréal - Schenectady / 49 Schenectady -

4/22 - arr. Chicago

4/23 - 5 dep. Chicago

4/24 - arr. Denver

4/25 - 5 dep. Denver

4/26 - arr. Emeryville

4/29 - 14 dep. Emeryville

4/30 - arr. Seattle

5/2 - 510 dep. Seattle - Vancouver / 2 dep. Vancouver

5/3 - arr. Edmonton

5/6 - 2 - dep. Edmonton

5/7 - arr. Winnipeg / 693 dep. Winnipeg

5/9 - arr. Churchill / 692 dep. Churchill

5/11 - arr. Winnipeg / 2 dep. Winnipeg

5/12 - arr. Toronto

5/13 - dep. Toronto - Montréal

5/15 - 14 dep. Montréal

5/16 - arr. Halifax

5/19 - 15 dep. Halifax

So, not as much as I wanted to do, but still some trains left to ride in the future :D

A few questions...

1) This is a low budget trip, so personal recommendations/anecdotes for making a coach class trip of this length comfortable appreciated.

2) Can only afford to maybe make one upgrade to a berth during the trip, and think it'll be on the return leg of the Churchill run... VIA quoting C$95 for an ISIC single accomodation fare for an upper berth. A good choice?

3) I know all sleeping accomodation sold out on my legs from Chicago - Emeryville on the Zeph, but can anyone advise on the likelihood of on board staff being able to sell a berth/roomette upgrade on board for cash? And is this as common on VIA during this season as it is on Amtrak?

4) Also... any seat / car recommendations for best viewing, comfort and peaceful zzz?

5) I've heard terrible things (on this forum and others...) about the Coast Starlight's reliability (hence the layover in Seattle) and good things about the Amtrak Cascades (hence only a half day in Vancouver, BC)... comments? Churchill / Winnipeg connections look fairly secure so far.

6) Finally - has anyone actually ridden 562/563 to Churchill... am interested to know the 'feel' of this train, and think it's the one I'm looking forward to the most.

Thanks everyone,

James :blink:

James,

I have made all the trips that you plan to make but not all at the same time

and for sure not in coach. I will try to answer some of your questions.

1-The best advice that I can offer to make the trip more comfortable is to try to get a berth or roomette from the train crew. That would also give you meals.

2-Good choice. I made the Winnipeg to Churchill and return trip (all day in Churchill then back on the train that broght me)at the end of last August. I am glad I went but would not want to go again. The scenery is pretty much the same for the entire trip(pretty flat with rock and scrubby trees).. Make friends with the train crew. The crew is the same going and coming back. They can make the trip alot more comfortable if they want too. The trip to Churchill will not be the best part of your trip.

3-Yes and yes. My advice is to buy this accomadation any time you can.

4-If you are in coach try to get a seat that has no one beside you.

5-You answered your own questions.

6-See above. The feel of the train, to me, was sort of like a work train. Very slow. Also, no free meals. Every one pays.

The best scenery, in my opinion, is all day west of Denver and the Canadian rockies.

I hope this helps and have a great trip.

RK

Thanks for the helpful info... I will follow your advice re: sleeping accomodation, but it's just too expensive for me to book for all legs. However the Hudson Bay seems great value because it's not such a tourist-focused train: an upgrade (student, low season) to an upper berth couchette for my pass costs C$101.65 for two nights on board; the same upgrade for just one night on the Canadian between Winnipeg and Toronto costs C$206.51.

The trip will have it's own travelogue-o-blog at jamesbrownontherails.blogspot.com - I'll upload written journal entries and photographs every few days during my layovers and I'll record audioblog mp3 entries over the telephone when I'm out of reach of a computer.

Thanks again, happy travelling,

*j* :blink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back