North...then South

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carknocker51

Train Attendant
In June I'm taking the Empire Builder to St. Paul,Mn. with my sister from the Detriot area,and I was thinking about letting her go back to Michigan from Chicago while I hop on the City of New Orleans and continue South on our return journey.I would fly back home from there alone,after acouple days.So,I was wondering if there was a better side of this train to be on heading South?I'll have a standard bedroom,so I guess it 's luck of the draw?Anyone know a good Hotel near the station,and some qwik things to see?

I am not aware of any compelling reason to prefer one side over the other. Nearing New Orleans you will go through a lot of swampland, cajun country, etc., about as much on one side of the train as the other as I recall. One variable is Memphis. there you either have the Mississippi River on the right hand side, or the city on the left.

It should be easy to find out things about N.O. on the net. If is a popular tourist and convention city. The big hotel next to the train station(and the Super Dome) is the Hyatt Regency New Orleans. Start checking on hotels quickly, get on hotel.com or whomever, because New Orleans has a lot of conventions and space sells out quickly.

Some things to do: river cruises, gray line bus tours, French Quarter, Aquariam, Zoo, St. Charles Street car LIne(goes through beautiful homes and gardens), etc.

I once stayed at a Comfort Inn, which is several blocks walk from the station -- walk towards Canal on Loyola from the station.

amtrakadirondack said:
Sounds like a nice trip, have fun! :)
................................................................................

.....................................................All thats left is to clear the trip with the WIFE""Thanks for the info..

I just typed in "beignets" on the net and several entries came up....you can probably find out all about them there. They are good, I can testify to that. They go with cafe au lait, which is probably also described in the same area. It is about half milk and have some kind of chicory coffee.

Good health food !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back