Not checking baggage - how long to depart train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MamaC

Hi! We're excited that part of our summer plans will allow us to take the Amtrak Cascades from Vancouver to Seattle. We just realized, however, that we can stay at a hotel off of the Tukwila station for significantly cheaper :) (especially because we want to take some daytrips out of downtown Seattle). If we go from Vancouver, BC to Tukwila, WA there is no checked baggage service at the Tukwila station. We will have 4 small suitcases (carry-ons to the airlines), plus probably 3 bigger suitcases (28" so checked on a plane but I think allowable as carry-ons to Amtrak?). Am I reading that correctly? We are capable of carrying all of our baggage ourselves (2 adults & 2 teens) and putting it on a luggage tower, but how long will we actually have at the station to grab all of our things and depart the train? Thank you so much for any advice you can offer!

The timetable will specify the exact departure times. If you are leaving from a terminal (stub end) station boarding is usually done about 45 minutes prior to departure. In route there are stations where the train can stop for 5 minutes or 50 minutes for refueling/refiling/restocking but again the timetable is the guide. Time can vary depending on if the train is early or late. The RPA has the schedules/timetables posted for all Amtrak trains.
You are allowed two carry-on pieces of baggage per passenger. Since they are the correct size and your party is four, it should be OK.

-Ar 12:23p dp 12:25p- at Tukwila according to the schedule. The car attendant will want you to get your bags and get ready to detrain.

That all totally makes sense, thank you so much! Yes, it looks like we'd have 2 minutes - I guess we'll ask a conductor to make sure we're in a place for quick departure. :)

On every trip that I have taken, there is a notice of the upcoming station and people start gathering their belongings and go down to the foyer (vestibule?) by the door to disembark several minutes before the train stops. There is sometimes a line up the stairs on the superliners.

In the dead of night, there is no announcement, but the car attendant or conductor wakes people up well before their town of disembarkment.

On every trip that I have taken, there is a notice of the upcoming station and people start gathering their belongings and go down to the foyer (vestibule?) by the door to disembark several minutes before the train stops. There is sometimes a line up the stairs on the superliners.

In the dead of night, there is no announcement, but the car attendant or conductor wakes people up well before their town of disembarkment.
Thank you so much! That's encouraging to hear, we can make that work! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back