Not happy with servicelevel on Amtrak as European

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? No incentive to perform well and no consequences for performing poorly.

The OP was spot on in describing dining car staff as "surly". That's a disappointingly common occurrence, at least on the CS and CZ. But I haven't noticed any difference on the few eastern trains I've been on. I ride coach or, now, business class on the CS and almost never go into the dining car – the tone and attitude of the announcements usually kill any interest I have (although memories of many bad meals keep that interest low anyway).

Most onboard staff are not lazy and rude, but enough are to set the general tone of the trip, particularly if you don't ride often. The problem is lack of onboard supervision. As Devils Advocate pointed out above, post trip complaints are handled as a matter of routine – treated as a cost of doing business rather than an opportunity to fix problems or improve service.

On occasion, you'll come across rude staff elsewhere in the transportation and hospitality business, but it's uncommon enough to be surprising. I can't remember ever being badgered or harried at a Denny's, for example. A restaurant employee who behaved toward customers the way some Amtrak people do would be quickly fired, regardless of seniority.

Why? No incentive to perform well and no consequences for performing poorly.

The OP was spot on in describing dining car staff as "surly". That's a disappointingly common occurrence, at least on the CS and CZ. But I haven't noticed any difference on the few eastern trains I've been on. I ride coach or, now, business class on the CS and almost never go into the dining car – the tone and attitude of the announcements usually kill any interest I have (although memories of many bad meals keep that interest low anyway).

Most onboard staff are not lazy and rude, but enough are to set the general tone of the trip, particularly if you don't ride often. The problem is lack of onboard supervision. As Devils Advocate pointed out above, post trip complaints are handled as a matter of routine – treated as a cost of doing business rather than an opportunity to fix problems or improve service.

On occasion, you'll come across rude staff elsewhere in the transportation and hospitality business, but it's uncommon enough to be surprising. I can't remember ever being badgered or harried at a Denny's, for example. A restaurant employee who behaved toward customers the way some Amtrak people do would be quickly fired, regardless of seniority.
I've never been badgered or harried at a Denny's either....primarily because I've never been in one of those racist places. I have a good friend who ventured in once and was told he had to "pre-pay" just because of the color of his skin. I can also truly say in almost 40 years of riding Amtrak I've never felt the least "badgered or harried".

Last edited by a moderator:
I can also truly say in almost 40 years of riding Amtrak I've never felt the least "badgered or harried".
If you've been riding Amtrak for 40 years, then you probably haven't felt that way. If you're satisfied with what you're getting, then good for you and good for Amtrak. It's the first time or infrequent Amtrak passengers, though, that feel the difference in attitude and service quality the most. I ride fairly regularly and I'm happy to either avoid or tune out the annoyances. But I've ridden with friends who won't go back, because of the way they think they've been treated – the attitude on Amtrak is noticeably different from the norm in the hospitality industry.

Is the hospitality industry the right measure? I think if you compare Amtrak to transportation companies, it fares better. How is Amtrak's service compared to airlines, intercity buses, commuter rail, metropolitan bus systems, taxi cabs, and so forth. It's transportation were dealing with, not Marriott or Hilton. Sure there's a bed and a dining car (if you want them, and they should be decent), but the point is travel from point A to point B. I'd take my most recent Sleeping Car Attendant over my most recent cab driver anyday!

Is the hospitality industry the right measure? I think if you compare Amtrak to transportation companies, it fares better. How is Amtrak's service compared to airlines, intercity buses, commuter rail, metropolitan bus systems, taxi cabs, and so forth. It's transportation were dealing with, not Marriott or Hilton. Sure there's a bed and a dining car (if you want them, and they should be decent), but the point is travel from point A to point B. I'd take my most recent Sleeping Car Attendant over my most recent cab driver anyday!
I think overall your example is a better comparison, although in my past I was a concierge at an upscale Madison hotel, and there have been many Amtrak employees I've dealt with that I would have hired in a heartbeat. In fact, back in the mid-90's I recruited a young SCA to come work for us as a front desk manager. He has since married and relocated, but he was a fantastic employee. I still maintain that the attitude of most Amtrak employees is not noticeably different than the hospitality industry.

There are plenty of good, diligent, service minded people working for Amtrak. I agree, the attitude of most is consistent with the hospitality industry in general. That's not the problem. The problem is that the ones who fall short of that standard suffer no consequences and are allowed to make the biggest and most lasting impression on new or occasional riders. It's a rare occurrence in most of the travel or hospitality industry, but it's common enough to be considered in the normal range of employee behavior on Amtrak.

I'm not going to defend the taxi industry. But Uber and Lyft are forcing it to change. I can't speak to intercity buses in the U.S., except California Thruways where I've nothing but good experiences. But that could be luck. I just got back from New Zealand, though, where I traveled extensively on intercity buses, and was treated well by professional and courteous staff 100% of the time. I've had the same experience on railroads there. Same with Capitol Corridor, Surfliner and Caltrain too.

Long distance Amtrak trains are different. An overnight trip on Amtrak is as much about hospitality as transportation, and the hospitality staff – dining, cafe, coach and sleeping cars – should be held to the same standard as others in the industry who do similar jobs.

In the words of the great Dick Clark "It's a78, easy to dance to but the lyrics could use a little help"

My overall assessment of 40 years of LD travel is very positive. As we have evolved the attitude of people has changed. Over that same period of time I have been hiring folks,,, and the work ethic of those todays doesn't begin to match that of even ten years ago. so it should be no surprise that there is a range of performance across the work force Amtrak or whatever. I have had SCA's who I wished were relatives and dining car staff who, if jumping out in front of my moving vehicle, would not see the brakes applied.

Service work is all about attitude. Some got it, some don't.

Mother contended we need to praise, when justified, more than we criticize. I feel I can do that about my the service I have received on Amtrak. Folks like Curtis on the EB make traveling a pleasure. Too bad travel has become to swirl clockwise (north of the equator) like poker, you at the mercy of the luck of your draw.

Take more than 50 LD trips and you may come to agree with me.

Did you try☺☺or, were you on this unpleasant trip.
Well if you read my first post about it, you will know that I enjoyed the trip. It wasn't unpleasant and if there's a next time I have to go from SF to LA, I'd probably do it again.
That doesn't stop me from wondering why I have to feel that I or other passengers get neglected and herded around at least three times on the same trip. It was minor annoyances, but annoying none the less.

So Amtrak staffs its trains really well compared to European train companies, but the result is annoyances and less service. Why?
My apologys to you. Hoping your next trip will be a huge delight.

Honestly it is a management problem. I'd say, of Amtrak staff I've dealt with,

15% went above and beyond

50% were solidly good, pleasures to do business with

25% were certainly trying hard and were well-meaning but were not able to deal with unusual situations (allergies, disabled passenger, etc.)

10% were not doing their jobs: they were shirking, avoiding doing the work which they were supposed to be doing for disabled passengers.

The problems are:

(a) the last 10% make quite a negative impression and nothing is done about them by management

(b) the 25% need assistance in the form of training and improvements to standard procedures

Both cases are the fault of management.

Now I probably have the percentages wrong because this is anecdotal (I didn't keep stats) and I probably remember the worst ones and the best ones better than I remember the average ones. But the point remains the same: management is supposed to be weeding out the worst, training the people who need help, and improving standard procedures to preemptively solve problems. All too often it seems like management is AWOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back