NTD short trips

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_traveler

Engineer
On NTD, I took 2 short round trip “rides” to collect AGR points. I rode #66, #99, #161 and #160.

#66 and #99 was a short turnaround ride KIN-BOS. I left KIN (Kingston, RI) bright and ugly :p at 6:32 AM. (Maybe the time's not ugly, but I am at 6:32 AM! :lol: ) Only #66 dared to arrive 9 minutes late. The other 4 stops to BOS (Boston, MA) had arrivals on time. A 50 minute layover at South Station happened until I departed on #99 at 8:40 back to KIN. As before, all stations were timely – except the arrival into KIN – which was late!

During these 2 trips, I could not get a reading on my GPS on my iPhone. :( I had wanted to, since this is the fastest portion of the route.

I then sat in my car for 1 hour – waiting for the next train. (You need to have a different train number to earn more AGR points.) So I spent the time (9:41 to 10:41) – what else? – watching trains! A northbound Regional stopped about 10:05 and a northbound AE passed thru at 140 MPH about 10:20!

Just after 10:41, I boarded #161 to NLC (New London, CT). On this trip, I finally got a reading on my GPS, and it showed (I consider) a high speed of 94.5 MPH! (When it first got a signal, it showed 114.7, but then dropped fast – I think too fast.) It stayed about 90 MPH in RI and about 80 MPH in CT.

Per the schedule, between #161 and #160 in NLC, there is a <10 minute connection. But I decided to chance it because I know the southbound is usually on time and the northbound is usually late. However, today I was wrong! :eek: The northbound was on time – but the southbound was almost 10 minutes EARLY! So I had instead a 15-20 minute layover!

The return trip to KIN on #160 was non stop, but like the other trips, arrival into KIN was late. That means that of the 4 trains and 6 stations I went to, the only station that I was late to was KIN – on all 4 trains! :eek:

Except for #66, all trains were packed! But the crews used the excuse of this weekend being Mother’s Day – not NTD – for the crowds!

So for about 5 1/2 hours "work" :lol: I earned somewhere between 800 and 1,600 AGR points! (I find out next week when they post.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back