NW Mudslide Season 2014-15

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounder North is low ridership and costs a lot to operate. This will probably actually be good for Sound Transit's finances. :-(
From a short-term cash flow standpoint, perhaps. But every closure makes the route seem like a less viable option for regular commuters and probably scares

away potential future riders. The "good news" is that this week is probably a lighter-than-normal commuting week, so fewer regular commuters are affected.

Sounder North unfortunately has had years of these mudslide closures already, and that is already scaring away riders; I don't think this line has commuters relying on it at this point. :-( Until the mudslide problem can be fixed permanently, I don't think preemptive closures are making the problem any *worse*.

It has worse problems. The line is geographically problematic. There are only three stations north of Seattle. Since it hugs the ocean, each station has half the catchment area of a typical station -- everyone has to come from the east. (The exception is people connecting from the ferry at Edmonds or Mulkiteo; but the islands on the other side of the ferry are very sparsely populated.)

Despite running four trains each way, It only runs during peak hours, it only runs in "standard commute direction" (no midday service, no reverse-peak service), and the last northbound leaves at 5:35 PM! (Which renders it worthless for a lot of jobs.) This is somewhat alleviated by letting people take Amtrak Cascades instead, but Cascades skips Mulkiteo. Also, the buses from Everett to Seattle are both faster and cheaper than the train. Edmonds is served pretty well, but boy, those are a lot of handicaps for this service.

Sounder North is a good example of how much ridership and revenue you can get from rail bias alone; it's more than I would have expected, but it is really less than viable in its current form. Maybe after all the mudslide stuff is fixed, some thought can be put into "rebooting" it with a more viable service. Transit advocates in the area have seriously suggested suspending it and redirecting the funds to capital improvements to fix the mudslide problem permanently.

This is a big contrast to Sounder South (Seattle-Tacoma-Lakewood), which is enjoying success upon success.

Sounder North unfortunately has had years of these mudslide closures already, and that is already scaring away riders; I don't think this line has commuters relying on it at this point. :-( Until the mudslide problem can be fixed permanently, I don't think preemptive closures are making the problem any *worse*.

It has worse problems. The line is geographically problematic. There are only three stations north of Seattle. Since it hugs the ocean, each station has half the catchment area of a typical station -- everyone has to come from the east. (The exception is people connecting from the ferry at Edmonds or Mulkiteo; but the islands on the other side of the ferry are very sparsely populated.)

Despite running four trains each way, It only runs during peak hours, it only runs in "standard commute direction" (no midday service, no reverse-peak service), and the last northbound leaves at 5:35 PM! (Which renders it worthless for a lot of jobs.) This is somewhat alleviated by letting people take Amtrak Cascades instead, but Cascades skips Mulkiteo. Also, the buses from Everett to Seattle are both faster and cheaper than the train. Edmonds is served pretty well, but boy, those are a lot of handicaps for this service.

Sounder North is a good example of how much ridership and revenue you can get from rail bias alone; it's more than I would have expected, but it is really less than viable in its current form. Maybe after all the mudslide stuff is fixed, some thought can be put into "rebooting" it with a more viable service. Transit advocates in the area have seriously suggested suspending it and redirecting the funds to capital improvements to fix the mudslide problem permanently.

This is a big contrast to Sounder South (Seattle-Tacoma-Lakewood), which is enjoying success upon success.
I visit relatives near Seattle every year or so.

I agree that the Sounder North is not a big deal, little used by commuters (far less than, say, the New Mexico Rail Runner)

When I've stayed in Everett for a week, I never even considered using the Sounder trains - the Sound Transit buses are far more frequent, clean, and fast, for getting to Seattle and points south and east.

I once took a bus to Mukilteo -- the place is only a ferry port, nothing at all there ( well, watching the BNSF trains go by was OK, there's a nearby spur to the big main Boeing plant) .

And then took a bus from Mukilteo to Seattle (where it's all happening :) )

Don't see a lot of potential for the Sounder North.

But I totally love the good public transit in the Seattle area ( aside from the confusing fare structure between Sound Transit, King County metro transit, and all )

If you go to Seattle or anyhwhere Tacoma-Bellingham , get an ORCA card and all the confusing transfer problems go away.

About the mudslides -- it is a big problem for BNSF -- and they reasonably try to pull in any public support they can get for their sound-side vulnerable mainline.

Another two feet of ocean rise, plus the mudslide problems -- some really wealthy rail barons will be out a lot of money.

Hoping for a longer-term solution on the Seattle - Everett line -- but

Time will tell

Sounder North is troubled, that's for sure.

The 2012 report from the Sound Transit Citizen Oversight Panel sums it up this way:

[Citizen Oversight Panel] members are very sympathetic to the sense of ownership, pride, and equity that Sounder North represents in Snohomish County.

[..snip..]

However, we believe that, in the long-term, the tax-payers and transit users of Snohomish County will not be well served if the high-cost Sounder North line continues to run well below capacity while the much lower-cost ST Express bus routes run overloaded with passengers standing in the aisles. At a certain point in the future, Sound Transit may have to come to terms with a reality that one of its services is not living up to a reasonable definition of viability.
If you're curious about the topic, the full report is rather short and an interesting read.

Last edited by a moderator:
Incoming storm threatens flooding, landslides, avalanches

SEATTLE - The National Weather Service has issued a flood watch and landslide warning for much of Western Washington as a strong weather system approaches from the Pacific, bringing heavy precipitation and milder temperatures. An avalanche watch was issued for the Cascade Mountains.
Precipitation from the incoming storm began falling Sunday morning, and is expected to increase rapidly through the day, becoming heavy by Sunday night and Monday morning.

Another mudslide related service disruption. This one says Amtrak service is suspended between Seattle and Bellingham, which is different from the normal

disruption between Seattle and Everett. As the previous post mentioned, western Washington got hit with a whammer of a storm, with many roads closed

and some houses destroyed. My guess is that the longer section of closed railroad may reflect multiple slide and flooding issues. I wonder if VAC pax will be

bussed Seattle to Bellingham, then put on a train for the final leg across the border? Seems like that would be a waste of time. I'd guess they'll simply bus

them the entire way to Vancouver.

Amtrak Service Suspended between Seattle and Bellingham, Wash. due to landslide

January 5, 2015
11:30 a.m. PT

BNSF Railway Co. has imposed a moratorium on passenger trains between Seattle and Bellingham, Wash., due to a landslide. The tracks, which are used by Amtrak Cascades and Empire Builder trains, are expected to reopen on Wednesday, January 7.Alternate transportation with charted buses is being provided and will cover all missed stops. Normal train operations continue south of Seattle.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.Passengers with travel plans can confirm their train's status, change their plans or review refund information using a range of tools – including Amtrak.com, smartphone apps or by calling 800-USA-RAIL. Service Alerts, Passenger Notices and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/alerts.

Another mudslide related service disruption. This one says Amtrak service is suspended between Seattle and Bellingham, which is different from the normal

disruption between Seattle and Everett. As the previous post mentioned, western Washington got hit with a whammer of a storm, with many roads closed

and some houses destroyed. My guess is that the longer section of closed railroad may reflect multiple slide and flooding issues. I wonder if VAC pax will be

bussed Seattle to Bellingham, then put on a train for the final leg across the border? Seems like that would be a waste of time. I'd guess they'll simply bus

them the entire way to Vancouver.
Sounder is reporting no service disruptions. So this happened north of Everett.

I'm curious about the exact details of the flooding between Seattle and Portland, because it sounds like it can be corrected with some minor construction. It's only flooding one of two tracks?

The problems between Seattle and Vancouver BC seem to be verging on the hopeless. I know the Washington State High Speed Rail Plans have proposed a complete bypass of the White Rock area in BC (at great expense), but BC and Vancouver have been completely uninterested.

Mudslide hits railroad tracks between Seattle and Everett

EVERETT — A mudslide Friday morning covered the Burlington Northern Santa Fe railroad tracks just south of Everett.

Spokesman Gus Melonas says the tracks have been cleared for freight trains Friday afternoon but Amtrak and Sound Transit passenger trains have to wait 48 hours — until late Sunday morning — to resume. Rail passengers are bused between Seattle and Everett during the safety moratorium.

Melonas says BNSF geotechnical experts are monitoring steep slopes along the tracks for stability.

Recent heavy rains are likely responsible for the mudslide that covered the tracks 5 feet deep. The rail line south of Everett runs along Puget Sound at the base of a bluff and is frequently hit by mudslides.

Not the usual place: this will affect only Cascades trains between Everett and Vancouver, BC.

Amtrak service between Bellingham, Vancouver, B.C., suspended

Passenger train service between Bellingham and Vancouver, B.C., has been canceled until Wednesday because of a mudslide on the tracks.

Amtrak Cascades trains will likely resume Wednesday evening after BNSF Railway reopens the tracks, according to Amtrak. Charter buses are being provided and will cover all missed stops.

Monday night, BNSF reopened its tracks between Everett and Seattle after multiple mudslides blocked the tracks Saturday evening. Amtrak Cascades and Empire Builder trains have resumed normal operations in the Seattle area.

Northline Sounder [and Amtrak] service suspended until Friday after new slide

Passenger train service between Seattle and Everett has been suspended until Friday afternoon because of a mudslide on the tracks, according to BNSF Railway.
A mudslide blocked the tracks south of Everett on a 75 foot slope, according to BNSF spokesman Gus Melonas. The slide debris is 3 feet deep and 20 feet long.

This is the fourth slide in the area between Seattle and Everett since Friday, Melonas said.

Question: Has a mudslide ever trapped a trainset in Seattle, with no way get out to the north?

Often I guess the track is open, just not for pax train, pax are bussed from Everett to Seattle and the train makes its way S w/o pax. Eastbound the process is just reversed. Next worst, the westbound consist is turned and cleaned in Everett. But if the mud "slides" while the trainset is in SEA, then they have to cancel both #8 and #28?

Just curious as I'm headed out on #28 next week.

WellTrained, slides almost always happen between Everett and Seattle. While they do occur north of Everett and south of Seattle, these events are rare. And BNSF almost always clears the tracks for their own freights within a couple of hours. After that, Amtrak trains generally proceed as scheduled, but without passengers. I don't recall ever seeing a cancellation of 7 or 8 due to mudslides.

Mudslide from heavy rains closes Seattle-Everett rail line
SEATTLE — An official says a mudslide from heavy rain has shut down a rail line between Seattle and Everett.
BNSF Railway spokesman Gus Melonas says crews expect to have the line reopened for freight trains by midnight Sunday, but a two-day moratorium has been place on passenger trains as a precaution.

He says the slide hit the BNSF mainline about 22 miles north of Seattle, burying a 20-foot long stretch of track under 10 feet of mud and debris.

Crews are also working on two smaller slides closer to Seattle that hit the line's right-of-way area but not the track.
There is a 48-hour moratorium for passenger train traffic after slides on the route, meaning no passengers will ride the tracks until Wednesday at 2:30 p.m. at the earliest.

Last edited by a moderator:
5th landslide closes tracks north of Seattle

SEATTLE -- A fifth landslide that hit Monday afternoon closed the train tracks north of Seattle only hours after they’d re-opened to freight trains.
The new landslide hit at 2:30 p.m. Monday north of Carkeek Park in an area already prone to slide and in the same vicinity where BNSF railways has spent money trying to secure the hillsides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back