NWA Plane Overshoots Airport by More Than 100 Miles

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFSS

Engineer
Honored Member
MINNEAPOLIS — Federal officials say a Northwest Airlines jet overflew the Minneapolis airport by 150 miles before crew members discovered their mistake.

The plane landed safely Wednesday evening, and none of the 147 passengers and crew were injured.

Full Story

MINNEAPOLIS — Federal officials say a Northwest Airlines jet overflew the Minneapolis airport by 150 miles before crew members discovered their mistake.
The plane landed safely Wednesday evening, and none of the 147 passengers and crew were injured.

Full Story
OOOOOOPS!! :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Me thinks somebody(s) fell asleep.

That seems to be the consensus opinion.

The crew's story is that they were in a "heated discussion" on airline policy and lost "situational awareness." Wow. Overshooting your airline's main base, MSP, by 150 miles is not like overshooting Rapid City. It would be like an Acela missing NYP and finally stopping in New Rochelle. Yikes.

That seems to be the consensus opinion.

The crew's story is that they were in a "heated discussion" on airline policy and lost "situational awareness." Wow. Overshooting your airline's main base, MSP, by 150 miles is not like overshooting Rapid City. It would be like an Acela missing NYP and finally stopping in New Rochelle. Yikes.
Not to mention that ATC tried to raise them for an hour. They had to be wearing their headsets during that time.

Speaking of situational awareness, watch these guys almost collect a hill top.

Close call with terrain.

They all seem to think it's really funny. This may end up like one of those speeding biker videos, where they record the speeding and illegal stunting, then get tracked down via youtube and arrested.

Full Story
As a licensed pilot I find this unbelievable, no excuse what-so-ever for these idiots!! They deserve to not only be grounded but fired and never fly a plane again! The bloggers that made the idiot comments about "there but for the grace of god etc.' are just as bad, and the clowns that landed on the taxi way in Atlanta are just as bad, if not worse! Another reminder of why I dont fly anymore, Amtrak is the way to go! :eek:

Jesus! I was in ATL last weekend and when we left on Sunday morning we taxied all the way down M and then took off on 27R. As we were on the takeoff roll, my stepson and I counted 10 airplanes lined up on M waiting in line to take off.
I was at ATL yesterday, departed from 9L (27R), and also used M. One would think DL crews would know the layout at ATL. Typically, crews for international routes with heavies are the best of the best. Chilling.

I was reading about the 100 mile extension to the trip again this morning in the paper (you know, that flimsy white thing with ink that rubs off on your hands, and finds more use in the bottom of the birdcage... but I digress) and it occurred to me that this wouldn't have happened if I were aboard monitoring progress with my GPS. Oops, that's right, last time I used it on a plane, a very stern attendant told be in no uncertain terms to shut it off, as it was illegal to receive radio signals on a plane. I didn't want to argue with her as I had things to do after deplaning besides seeing what the inside of SFO's security facilities looked like. :ph34r:

I was reading about the 100 mile extension to the trip again this morning in the paper (you know, that flimsy white thing with ink that rubs off on your hands, and finds more use in the bottom of the birdcage... but I digress) and it occurred to me that this wouldn't have happened if I were aboard monitoring progress with my GPS. Oops, that's right, last time I used it on a plane, a very stern attendant told be in no uncertain terms to shut it off, as it was illegal to receive radio signals on a plane. I didn't want to argue with her as I had things to do after deplaning besides seeing what the inside of SFO's security facilities looked like. :ph34r:
I had a flight attendant tell me to stop taking pictures out the window on a flight a few months ago. I wrote the airline and they said she was wrong and they would talk to her. Never heard anything further back from the airline.

Some airlines (including Southwest I think) let you use the GPS when above 10,000 feet, so long as it does not SEND radio signals. I don't think they can uless they have Bluetooth capabilities. Anyway, the max speed on my GPS is 600 MPH!

You need to look at the back of the in-flight magazine for a list of approved (or unapproved) devices and go from there.

You need to look at the back of the in-flight magazine for a list of approved (or unapproved) devices and go from there.
Aloha

I think the Attendents are just using "If it has battery's, it must be turned off below 10,000 feet. Had to turn off noise reduction Headset

I think the only option is those guys being asleep, and very soundly. There had to have been some autopilot warnings as well as traffic control trying to raise them. How come no Air Force jets scrambled like in other cases of unknown aircraft? Or are they OK becasue there transponder is on?

Maybe planes need the 8 second button like on trains.

I'm gueesing the proposal to allow naps will go out the window now.

I don't know my GPS's max speed, but I have recorded 648 mph!

How come no Air Force jets scrambled like in other cases of unknown aircraft? Or are they OK becasue there transponder is on?
They had F-16s on hot standby in Madison, WI. They were able to raise the plane and verify it was not being hijacked before they needed to scramble the jets. Just before.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I could take credit for this because when I read it I found it to be hilarious but someone commenting yesterday on the story in the Minneapolis Star Tribune speculated that the "heated discussion" was not about "airline policy" but in fact about who is the better quarterback Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers. This "distraction" led to an attempt to overfly Lambeau Field in Green Bay.

My bet is they were asleep.

Aloha

A while back a small commuter plane ona short flight missed the Big Island of Hawaii by sleeping, by time they turned around and got back they were close to being out of fuel. the piolets were required to sleep in the cocpit when away from home base airports.

I had a flight attendant tell me to stop taking pictures out the window on a flight a few months ago. I wrote the airline and they said she was wrong and they would talk to her. Never heard anything further back from the airline.
Now that's just freaking ridiculous!

Some airlines (including Southwest I think) let you use the GPS when above 10,000 feet, so long as it does not SEND radio signals. I don't think they can uless they have Bluetooth capabilities. Anyway, the max speed on my GPS is 600 MPH!

I did that, I checked the airline website later, and the TSA website. Not a word said about it. You can't argue with these people in the air, you get grilled on all 4 sides when you land.

By the way, did I say I HATE FLYING?

Someone was probably going to cross-pollinate from the thread on cameras in locomotive cabs here so why not me. Does something like this call for cameras in the cockpit?

I will not advocate either for or against on the subject. Just wondering out loud.

Someone was probably going to cross-pollinate from the thread on cameras in locomotive cabs here so why not me. Does something like this call for cameras in the cockpit?
I will not advocate either for or against on the subject. Just wondering out loud.
There are voice recorders now, as part of the Back Box, right?

I heard considerations for video after that Air France plane went missing in the Atlantic. It could help in crash investigations.

Am I missing something here? Why did not the flight attendants notice a problem? Seems like they would have noticed that they were flying past the city lights, or, if not, why are we late all of a sudden?

Am I missing something here? Why did not the flight attendants notice a problem? Seems like they would have noticed that they were flying past the city lights, or, if not, why are we late all of a sudden?

Here is more information.

The pilots were finally alerted to their situation when a flight attendant called on an intercom from the cabin.

Back