NY Penn ~ a good meeting place?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 6862

Engineer
We are meeting a friend at NY Penn station this coming Friday 14 October, he arrives from Syracuse on the 48 LSL at 6:23 pm.

We arrive at NYP the same date from Richmond on the 92 Silver Star 27 minutes later at 6:50 pm, of course if the trains are on time.

We need a place to meet in the station but never having visited NYP don't have any idea where is noticeable and easy to find, can anyone help out on this please? Our friend and us are using coach to get to NYP so can't use the lounge but there must be somewhere obvious for the first time visitor?

Thank you

There is a regular Amtrak coach lounge at track 14 east. I've used that before to meet up

You can always meet at Pennsy or a bar/restaurant if you are planning to do dinner. I don't believe the EB LsL does dinner if on time.

"Under the big board". Though personally (if you can both eat pizza) I'd go across the street kitty-corner to NY Pizza Suprema, which is the best pizza in NYC.

Made famous by this?

(While shot at Penn Station, the 'clock' referred to was at the Astor Hotel)

I was going to recommend under the "big board" too as when I was growing up it was the place my friends and I would agree to meet in Penn Station however, it's supposedly scheduled for removal if it hasn't happened already. Maybe someone here's been through Penn more recently than I and can provide insight.

I was going to recommend under the "big board" too as when I was growing up it was the place my friends and I would agree to meet in Penn Station however, it's supposedly scheduled for removal if it hasn't happened already. Maybe someone here's been through Penn more recently than I and can provide insight.
I've been seeing things on FB about the demise of the Solari board in NYP, so, yeah, it might not be there when they arrive.Would meeting outside the Acela lounge work? I've yet to step foot in the station.

When you come up the escalator from the platform ( or elevator if using it) to the Amtrak Level, I agree with Betty that meeting outside the Club Acela is a good idea.

The ticket counter and baggage room is right there and the Amtrak Waiting room for Coach Passengers is right across the way.

Using a Redcap is the easiest way to find your way around if unfamiliar with NYP.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are three uniquely identifiable locations that used to be there. Now probably there are only two, with the big departure board gone. The three are:

1. Under the big departure board in the Amtrak departure hall. This may not be as easily identifiable once the big board is gone.

2. By the door to Club Acela or in Club Acela, if you have access to it (for the latter)

3. At the Information Kiosk in the main rotunda. This tends to be the least crowded and easy to describe to anyone. This also by the big Arrival board, if it is still there.

Do we and our friend arrive on the Amtrak level, as we are on the Silver Star and he on the LSL?

Thanks for all the help, we're gong for outside of the Acela lounge as it has no chance of being moved during the next week.

Do we and our friend arrive on the Amtrak level, as we are on the Silver Star and he on the LSL?

Thanks for all the help, we're gong for outside of the Acela lounge as it has no chance of being moved during the next week.
Hopefully you will be directed to an escalator that takes you to the Amtrak concourse. There are other stairs and escalators from the same platform to the so called "Arrival Level" which is one level below the main concourse. Should you by chance land up there, look for the stairs in the middle of that concourse, or several elevators that takes you one level up. Do ask your Coach Attendant or any Red Cap to show you which escalator goes to the right level. In most cases just following the crowd should get you to the right level.

Of course you could simplify your life by requesting for a Red Cap and ask them to take you to Club Acela.

Last edited by a moderator:
It all depends which set of escalators/ stairs/ elevators you use. To ascend to the Amtrak level, you need the deeper escalator, not the shorter one. Also except for track 7-8 all the elevators only reach lower level, need to take another escalator, or elevator at 7-8 to reach Amtrak level....

I used to meet friends at a designated gate...usually "West Gate, Track Twelve"....but you could select any of them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back