NYC East River Tunnel News....

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmtrakerBx

Train Attendant
GRANITE CONSTRUCTION SUBSIDIARY AWARDED $66.2 MILLION AMTRAK PROJECT IN NEW YORK: Granite Construction Incorporated announced today that Granite Halmar, a wholly owned subsidiary, has been awarded a $66.2 million contract by National Railroad Passenger Corporation (Amtrak). The award is for the demolition and reconstruction of two ventilation shaft structures servicing four existing tracks in the East River Tunnels located in Long Island City, Borough of Queens, New York. As part of an overall effort by Amtrak to improve fire/life safety in the Northeast Corridor, this project provides for better passenger egress and facilitates emergency personnel responses through the construction of new stairs, a special assistance hoist system and a high-capacity reversible tunnel ventilation system. The project also includes replacement of existing traction power substations and incorporates all above-ground structures into a single rectangular structure approximately 35' high and covering the entire site. Work will begin in January of 2003 with completion scheduled for December, 2006. Granite is one of the nation's largest diversified heavy civil contractors and construction materials producer. (Granite via Stan Feldman - posted 12/17)

It's about time they do something with the East River tubes as for years the FDNY has been complaining about what would happen if they had to fight a fire down there. This is hopefully a step in the right direction ot make the tubes safer.

When I went through the East River Tunnels in August it did seem likke it would be very hard to fight a fire down there, especially with all the apparatus necessary for a large fire/evacuation operation. Does anyone know if Amtrak keeps high railer Firefighting equipment at all?

I believe they have a high railer fire apparatus at Sunnyside but FDNY would be the primary agency in there. I know a lot of guys in R1 who always said if something went down in the tubes that it would not be good. The stairways are too narrow they couldn't evacuate people from a train and bring their equipment down the stairs ar the same time, poor ventilation etc., so I am really happy to see this project come about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back