NYP-PVD $194??!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BLOND37

OBS Chief
Was looking at trains from NYP to PVD this Friday. Acela 1203pm $167. Regional 11am..$194!! Ouch lol!!

Was looking at trains from NYP to PVD this Friday. Acela 1203pm $167. Regional 11am..$194!! Ouch lol!!
Well, not being snarky, but - MegaBus is showing a $39 one way fare with just under 5 hours travel time.....

Departs 8:35 AM New York, NY , 34th St b/t 11th Ave and 12th Ave

Arrives 12:45 PM Providence, RI , Canal St., between Smith St. and Park Row

That's quite some difference in travel cost there. I could probably find a nice restaurant to spend the savings at.

Well, not being snarky, but - MegaBus is showing a $39 one way fare with just under 5 hours travel time.....

Departs 8:35 AM New York, NY , 34th St b/t 11th Ave and 12th Ave

Arrives 12:45 PM Providence, RI , Canal St., between Smith St. and Park Row

That's quite some difference in travel cost there. I could probably find a nice restaurant to spend the savings at.
Sounds like the bus would be best - for you.

172 dropped to $161, and 2158 is up to $190.

Sometimes the fares make you wonder why people would book one train over another, but c'est la vie.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Blond was commenting on the unexpected fact that the Acela underpriced the Regional by 15% rather than the high price of either. Silly me.
Acela prices falling below Regionals is not unusual from what I have noticed for weekend and holiday period travel days. The cheaper Acela prices don't last that long but it does happen. Presumably because many weekend or holiday weekend travelers normally take the Regionals and don't think to check the Acela prices.

The price is pretty steep for NYP to PVD on a Regional, but seat capacity for the north half of the NEC is constrained due to the 19 trains a day limit on the SLE with 10 of those trains being Acelas which have only 303 seats total (and 43 of those FC). If Amtrak ever gets the Acela replacements with circa 425 seats, is able to negotiate for a few more NYP-BOS daily trains on the SLE, and a couple of Inland Route Regionals are added, the extra capacity should ease the peak ticket prices for the NYP-BOS segment (and stops between).

I thought Blond was commenting on the unexpected fact that the Acela underpriced the Regional by 15% rather than the high price of either. Silly me.
Acela prices falling below Regionals is not unusual from what I have noticed for weekend and holiday period travel days. The cheaper Acela prices don't last that long but it does happen. Presumably because many weekend or holiday weekend travelers normally take the Regionals and don't think to check the Acela prices.

The price is pretty steep for NYP to PVD on a Regional, but seat capacity for the north half of the NEC is constrained due to the 19 trains a day limit on the SLE with 10 of those trains being Acelas which have only 303 seats total (and 43 of those FC). If Amtrak ever gets the Acela replacements with circa 425 seats, is able to negotiate for a few more NYP-BOS daily trains on the SLE, and a couple of Inland Route Regionals are added, the extra capacity should ease the peak ticket prices for the NYP-BOS segment (and stops between).
Not only this, but remember that passengers originating south of Washington will take away from Regional capacity since it's the only one seat option they have if they're traveling north of NYP. That's not the reason for 172's fares to be as high as they are/were, but it something that can drive up fares quicker on Virginia bound/originated trains.

The PVD fares have been quite high lately. I ended up flying to WAS earlier this year bc it was so much cheaper than the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back