Ocean View on today's 7 (11-22-15)?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I honestly have just been trying to help. Every heads-up and info has been proven and true. This is one of my first mistakes.

Could it be that the super dome in service with friends of 261 is returning home Tyler? They are very similar cars.
See, I believe it is the the SUPER DOME (among other cars)...not the 10031 Ocean View (AKA THE GREAT DOME) that will be on 7.

But Tyler said the station master told him and I'm not great with names.

Grab us some pictures Tyler...or better yet, have the station master do it for you!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
This was the post that caught my attention where I was defending Tyler . I reread the other posts and it appears that somebody (third rail I think) knew that the Amtrak dome is probably running on the adirondack based on the reference to Albany.

Third rail I did not know that you are an insider. Your explanation about how Amtrak's dome could be confused with a similar private car was helpful and informative.

Third rail, please continue to post. I appreciate clear info from insiders.

Tyler, I appreciate your input too. It appears that the person in the glass house may have gotten the cars confused or there was a breakdown in communication. In any event I think we should all move on and continue to enjoy discourse about trains.

Could it be that the super dome in service with friends of 261 is returning home Tyler? They are very similar cars.
See, I believe it is the the SUPER DOME (among other cars)...not the 10031 Ocean View (AKA THE GREAT DOME) that will be on 7.

But Tyler said the station master told him and I'm not great with names.

Grab us some pictures Tyler...or better yet, have the station master do it for you!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
This was the post that caught my attention where I was defending Tyler . I reread the other posts and it appears that somebody (third rail I think) knew that the Amtrak dome is probably running on the adirondack based on the reference to Albany.

Third rail I did not know that you are an insider. Your explanation about how Amtrak's dome could be confused with a similar private car was helpful and informative.

Third rail, please continue to post. I appreciate clear info from insiders.

Tyler, I appreciate your input too. It appears that the person in the glass house may have gotten the cars confused or there was a breakdown in communication. In any event I think we should all move on and continue to enjoy discourse about trains.
Glass house person never makes mistakes. It's the station manager that did today. I admit, I jumped the gun without confirming because I was excited.

Glass house person never makes mistakes.
I would respectfully submit that *everyone* makes mistakes, even those that live in glass houses.
What I mean is I trust her word to the fullest, should of elaborated. She has never been wrong about what she tells me, but at that cost she makes sure she triple checks things before she says it.

I think Tyler has a point. He offered information that he sincerely believed was correct. It's ok to politely correct, but to joke at somebody's expense in writing and then act like they can't take a joke if they don't like it is not good practice in a public forum.
THIS.

Happens here far too often.

I raise the motion that we agree All people make mistakes. And move on. And please don't stop posting anyone. I find this forum as good entertainment. And it's YOU that make it great and I love it.

Everybody makes mistakes. Even the best of sources can be unreliable at times. We're all human. Some people have access to "inside information," most of us don't. Let's all move on.

Moving on to 7(22) - an ill-fated train --

I hoped to get to SPUD to take pictures - not just to put this thread to rest, but to see the dome in question and possibly other PV--

but 7(22) departed CHI 4 hours late, and was about 5 hours late at MSP -- had to sleep - no pix.

And now 7(22) had a collision in ND and is listed as "service disruption" veh.

Sorry, no news on the PV or dome, --

Other thread about ND collision http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/66336-empire-builder-gravel-truck-collide-in-north-dakota/

Everybody makes mistakes. Even the best of sources can be unreliable at times. We're all human. Some people have access to "inside information," most of us don't. Let's all move on.
I've made several uninformed, and even stupid , posts here.

I've learned a lot.

Post your info, sometimes get corrected, sometimes the correctors are wrong -- it's a good place for Amtrak info, but this forum, and all us who contribute, are sometimes wrong on details,

That's the value of this forum.

Take it all with a grain or two of salt?

If there is some "otaku" who knows where every car is and the signals for every train, and what bedrooms are available this minute on each train -- it ain't AMTRAK.

"Tolerate ambiguity" I was told -- just before I was laid off.

I hoped to get to SPUD to take pictures - not just to put this thread to rest, but to see the dome in question and possibly other PV--

but 7(22) departed CHI 4 hours late, and was about 5 hours late at MSP -- had to sleep - no pix.

Other thread about ND collision http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/66336-empire-builder-gravel-truck-collide-in-north-dakota/
Whatever the reason, 7(22) is "service disrupted"" AND more than 16 hours late.

Domino effect? No spare trainset at SEA and PDX.

Owee- this hurts, and has little to do with the original late departure (except, if #7 (22) departed on time, this whole thing wouldn't have happened to 7(22)

We rode the 4 hour late #7 out of Chicago on Sunday night. They had to replace three cars on that train which delayed things for a few hours. Then, the bridge issue caused #339 to be cancelled... so #7 was further delayed so they could squueze on all of those folks... inclhding us. Then more time was lost due to stopping at SVT and MKA. Four stops were made at SVT due to its platform being not long enough to accomodate #7. The PVs were the Cedar Rapids, Super Dome, and another Pullman car I have never seen before. They were cut off at MSP so they were not involved in the ND incident.

The where-abouts of the Am-Dome 10031 Ocean View remain a mystery. My internal Amtrak sources who are usually in the know dont seem to have a clue this year. I have heard it will run on the Hiawathas, to its still in Albany, to getting a much needed interior refurb, to the FRA having some issues with glazing and it being pulled. I ride almost every day when the Ocean View is in the Midwest but refrained from posting due to no concrete info this year. The past three years (2012-14) it has run on the Hiawathas the Mon, Tue, Wed, Thrs, and Sun of TG week... with runs to STL on the Fri, Sat using 303 and 306. However... it was not on yestetdays (Mondays) #329 like it normally has been. I caught it on the way to work. The conductor said a seventh car was supposed to be added, but due to the bridge issue on Sunday things got messsd up. He did not know if the extra car would be Ocean View or just an unstaffed cafe car. We are going to catch todays (Tuesday) 329 too, but I have my doubts.

Now I'm bummed that I didn't get out to take pictures of the 7 at my favorite spot Sunday. I would have liked to see all that PV, Ocean View or not. So, thanks for the tip, Tyler, even if all the information turned out to be not entirely accurate.

As to the mystery dome car, I suspect that Governor Rauner is holding it hostage, until he gets concessions on union contracts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been told by 4 sources it is in Beech Grove getting an interior refurb. It was in Albany running on 68 and 69, but those trips for fall colors ended weeks ago. Unless someone sees it in the yards there?

Me, I dont care about what famous cars are where, I care about the 4 hours late departure,, that led to a grade-crossing collision- yeah yeah.

From my point of view, delaying the EB departure from CHI for any reason is bad.

If the cascading delay was started by some PV, or some "classic car move" well, to hell with that.

Me, I dont care about what famous cars are where, I care about the 4 hours late departure,, that led to a grade-crossing collision- yeah yeah.

From my point of view, delaying the EB departure from CHI for any reason is bad.

If the cascading delay was started by some PV, or some "classic car move" well, to hell with that.
It was caused by the fact that they had a hard time finding locomotives that worked well, because of multiple ones that came in already damaged, and the snowstorm and cold that came in. P42's are known to break down in the cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back