Odd sighting on the Michigan Line

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mackensen

Lead Service Attendant
My commute to work (in Kalamazoo) takes me across the old Michigan Central every day. I was surprised to see this morning (around 7:30-7:35) an Amtrak train cross in front of me. Consist was 2-3 Horizons and 2 Amfleets or so--I didn't get an exact count. P42s on both ends. It's not a dreadfully late #355 because that made it in to Chicago about 2 hours late. Could Amtrak have been dead-heading equipment for some reason?

Sounds like the standard Wolverine consist these days. Just with an Amfleet replacing a Horizon. If anything it sounds somewhat on the short side.

peter

Sounds like the standard Wolverine consist these days. Just with an Amfleet replacing a Horizon. If anything it sounds somewhat on the short side.

peter
Yes, the consist isn't the odd part. The odd part is that the first scheduled train in that direction isn't due until 9:50 AM.

Which direction were you heading?

From Amtrak:

"Beginning August 15 through September 1, 2011, westbound Pere Marquette Train 371 will operate 90 minutes earlier at all stations on the route, due to track work being performed by CSX Transportation."

Amtrak is using a train to test the signal system on the high speed portion of the line. It was reported on another site that the train consisted of Amfleet and Horizon food service cars.

From Amtrak:

"Beginning August 15 through September 1, 2011, westbound Pere Marquette Train 371 will operate 90 minutes earlier at all stations on the route, due to track work being performed by CSX Transportation."
The Pere Marquette doesn't operate over this route--it runs Grand Rapids-Chicago. This is on the Pontiac-Detroit-Chicago stretch.

From Amtrak:

The Pere Marquette doesn't operate over this route--it runs Grand Rapids-Chicago. This is on the Pontiac-Detroit-Chicago stretch.
Ah, okay. I wasn't sure if you were commuting from Indiana or eastern Michigan.

I think I heard that train this morning. I heard a train pass around 8:15, and the first train through Kalamazoo is usually around 9:45-ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back