Off to Chicago tomorrow

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NativeSon5859

Conductor
Well tomorrow marks my 3rd annual Amtrak August trip. It's becoming sort of a tradition now!

Two years agao my brother and I took the Sunset roundtrip from NOL to SAS...last year was my incredible cross country adventure from EMY to CHI to NOL...and this year, just a simple, yet always fun, jaunt up to CHI on #58. Due to time constraints I have to fly back home from Chicago the night that I arrive there, but it'll still give me time to hang out in Chi-town for a few hours.

58 tomorrow is showing all sleepers "sold out", so I will be coaching it all the way. I've done CHI-NOL in coach twice before, and it really isn't too bad.

I will have access to a digital camera this time around so i'll hopefully be able to get some decent shots in.

And of course, I'll be playing some Arlo Guthrie!

Aloha Native Son

One of these days I hope to meet you, My trip on the CONO was messed up by the hurricane last Year, This year I must pay back the Employer because I did not attend a canceled event, Technicality, If I had only used Air tickets I would not have departed, therefore, the loss would have been less (125.00 rebooking fee) instead of actual travel fees.

This Year the conference is Here and Next Year In LV, both places without Long Distance trains, although Amtrak will sell me a ticket from Honolulu, LA, LV, LA, HNL, but call the ground portion "MOTOR COACH". For some reason "MOTOR COACH" isn't the same as "BUS" althought I can't tell the difference. What I find admusing is the Agent really thinks I should replace the last hour of flight time with 6 hours of "MOTOR COACH" time.

Mahalo

GG-1, I can assure you, a 1-hour plane ride beats a 6-hour motor coach ride any day of the week. I'm not a huge fan of the bus...especially for that long of a ride. The times that i've seen the Amtrak Thruway buses, honestly, they don't look much different from Greyhound buses to me...and Greyhound's are nothing to write home about.

Enjoy the trip regardless of which way you get there! :)

The big difference is the clientelle. Since you basically have to book a train segment at some point to get on the Amtrak bus, I would think that the train people are a little more, shall we say, normal than Greyhounds clientelle.

Aloha

Boy I sure hope as A Railfan, I am not normal, I am better than that, I will have you know and I think the rest of us are two!!! :p :D :lol:

oh god ! Not greyhound !

Hey by way I wish you luck. I am also planning a trip (from LA -Hou-SAS-Aus and back to LA) in sept for my b-day.

NativeSon5859 said:
Well tomorrow marks my 3rd annual Amtrak August trip. It's becoming sort of a tradition now!
Two years agao my brother and I took the Sunset roundtrip from NOL to SAS...last year was my incredible cross country adventure from EMY to CHI to NOL...and this year, just a simple, yet always fun, jaunt up to CHI on #58. Due to time constraints I have to fly back home from Chicago the night that I arrive there, but it'll still give me time to hang out in Chi-town for a few hours.

58 tomorrow is showing all sleepers "sold out", so I will be coaching it all the way. I've done CHI-NOL in coach twice before, and it really isn't too bad.

I will have access to a digital camera this time around so i'll hopefully be able to get some decent shots in.

And of course, I'll be playing some Arlo Guthrie!
Well here is why you had no sleepers a group of 57 passengers came off of train 1 out of FL 36 were in 1st class on the CNOL also the reason why you were late departing NOL was because they held #58 for train #1 in NOL. :)

Which was the right thing to do for 58 passengers.

Back