OK help me understand

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben_G

Service Attendant
If I do a trip useing AGR points, do they cover both rail and sleeper accommodation fee for 1 person (me) and the other person has to purchase rail fare but can stay in my room, or does it cover the rail fare for both. With one person going the AGR route and one not would there be any problems getting that second person's ticket read sleeper even when only paying coach fare.

Just looking down the road for a extended round the country trip.

AGR sleeper redemptions cover the railfare for as many people as the room will accommodate. :)

So a bedroom award can be used for three people, and a family bedroom can be used for two adults and two kids for the bedroom rate! :)

And do remember the Points redemption schedule is based on ONE WAY travel; just double the Points for Round Trip. That does give flexibility in planning trips where you want to avoid backtracking on the same routes.

Actually, I believe a bedroom is still only good for two people.
No, I booked a bedroom award for three people Seattle-Chicago-New Orleans last summer, with no problem. You might be thinking of those clown-car-like day-use occupancies (what is it? 4 people? 5?) in a bedroom, which apparently AGR doesn't do.

Of course, you might find an AGR agent who refuses to book 3 in a bedroom, or who does allow four, but that's just the usual AGR indeterminancy.

I had 3 in an AGR bedroom this past March with no problems. I sure wouldn't want any more than three but they do allow it after they give you the spiel that it was designed for two but can accomodate three.

Back