Old Empire Builder Pullman Ticket

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFSS

Engineer
Honored Member
I came across this in an antique store - thought it was interesting.

A Bedroom on the Great Northern for $22.22 - Whitefish to Seattle.

Wonder if this was the Empire Builder or another train?

Pullman%20Check.jpg

I suspect it was for the Western Star, the secondary train on the EB's route. Reason? I do not think the EB schedule has changed very much over the years---it presently leaves Whitefish at 9.16 pm. This for a 2 .m. departure. So, I suppose it is the WS.

I can quite possibly find out for you tonight at home and let you know tomorrow.

I can quite possibly find out for you tonight at home and let you know tomorrow.
Thanks - no big deal - I was just curious. I have a lot of old timetables, but not a Great Northern one.

Bill's correct. It most likely was the Western Star. I was able to find a Western Star schedule from August 1955 online. Apparently, the GN moved the Star's departure from 2:50 PM in 1955 to 2:00 PM in 1957, but it's a lot closer than the Builder's 6:15 PM departure out of Whitefish.

Just in case anyone's interested, there have been approximately 3 hours added to the Empire Builder's schedule since 1955, and most of that is due to Amtrak's change from the Surrey Cutoff through New Rockford, ND to the original GN mainline through Grand Forks, Devils Lake, and Rugby, ND. Also, Amtrak makes a lot more stops with the Builder than the GN did.

I just checked Amtrak's site and priced two adult tickets in a bedroom from Whitefish to Seattle. $318!!! Quite a difference from the $22 shown on the old receipt.

Back