Old LAX ticketing area

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony

Founder
Honored Member
Some time ago we were discussing the old ticketing area that is now closed to the public at LAX union station. I just found these photos I had taken to share ... sorry about the poor quality, I took them with my cell phone.

Picture064_13Feb04.jpg

Picture065_16Feb04.jpg

Picture066_16Feb04.jpg

Picture067_16Feb04.jpg

Picture068_16Feb04.jpg

Picture069_16Feb04.jpg

:lol: The top arrivals board is NOT part of the old section, but rather, illustrating the tardiness of the inbound Sunset. :lol:

And Texas Eagle. Ain't it strange how they're supposed to arrive at the same time, and they're the same amount late. :lol: :p

It is a beautiful station. The photos show the restored section that is closed to the public. Hollywood does use it for movie production from time to time. If those old walls could only talk, the stories they could tell. The movie stars and celebritys that came through this station in the 30's, 40's, and 50's. In the other direction is a large bar and resturaunt also restored but not open to the public.

Wb

It is my understanding that this portion of LAUS will not be open to the general public anytime in the near future. This area is to be used exclusively for film-making and private parties. What a waste!!!

There is currently a movie out right now called "Fifty 1st Dates" starring Adam Sandler. There is a couple of shots that are suppose to be a mental re-hab hospital on the islands. I swear it is LAUS. It's a quick pan. Let me know what you guys think.....

Wb

Beautiful shots. I do remember the old station quite well. My very first time to arrive in LA would have been the mid-60's, I arrived about 8 p.m on time, on a day train from SF. The weather was perfect, the palm trees out front, where I was catching a cab, were waving gently in the breeze. Perfect! Straight off a post-card.

My first trip out of Union Station was March 11, 1963. I remember it well because that was the day I joined the Air Force and went by train to San Antonio, Texas. We had dinner in the station restaurant and then caught the train. I believe it was 2 nights with double rooms on the train. I wonder if the military still uses the train.

For the most part soldiers fly wherever they need to go, although ocasionally we will see sailors or soldiers going to remote parts of the east coast (like Sebring or Palatka) while they are on leave. The Military itself does still use railways here in the states to move tanks, trucks, arms, etc. when gearing up for an operation (like Iraqi Freedom).

denmarks,

During World War II, millions of Marines, sailors, and soldiers marched in and out of LA's Union Station.

Interestingly, there still are shallow spots in the marble floor in the Station, worn down in part by these troops.

Here's a link I was able to find to an LA Times article that I read a couple of years ago about the Station. It says, in part:

Soon, 64 passenger trains a day were passing through, bearing names like the

Chief, the Super Chief, the Sunset Limited, the Lark, the Golden State, the Desert Wind and the City of Los Angeles.

http://www.railfan.net/lists/rshsdepot-dig...9/msg00005.html

Enjoy.

That was enjoyable, Chief. I especially liked the reference to the song "On the Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe"' which is probably my favorite train song of all times. I am told that I played it incessantly as a child. I will have to go to a Johnny Rockets Restaurant soon and play it on the juke box about three times.

Strange pairing old names like Golden State and Lark with a (relatively) new name like Desert Wind. Guess the article was meant to reflect a time span of inclusiveness, not zero in on any one timespan. It succeeded well.

Good article, Thanks again.

Thanks Anthony- You brought back memories. I remember that part of the station well. When I was a kid, my folks and I went from L.A. to New York, Philidelphia, and other east coast cities. We left in summer of '63. ( I was 16). The restaurant was open then, and as I remember it, pretty good food.

The restaurant that's there now, Trax, is expensive, but I've heard, very good.

There was a movement in the 70's to tear down Union Station, because it had fallen on hard times. Thank goodness they didn't.

I'm taking the train next month. I'm looking forward to the trip.

Robert

Union Station in LA is beautiful and can be peaceful too, even when waiting for a late train!! There are benches and tables outside the station in little quiet alcoves to read, relax or take a nap! And the inside, with it's high ceilings and wooden bench seating is nice.

Be sure to walk across the Street to Los Angeles' "Olvera Street" and have a wonderful mexican lunch or dinner......or get a couple of burritos to go to have on the train!

Have a great trip, wherever your travels take you!

Amtrakrgrl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back