Omaha Baggage Service?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are booked for a trip into OMA this May and since we arrive after 11PM we are not sure what to expect. Since the closing of UP's Union Station and Burlington Station years back, it is my understanding that passenger services were moved into a much smaller facility not far away. Having never got off the CZ at Omaha, I have questions on the baggage service at that station, It appears to still be in service but is it? If so how long does it typically take to get your luggage back? Is there a rotary conveyor there? Is there a taxi stand? Is it better to just put our luggage in the Superliner rack on the lower level? Comments are appreciated.

The Amtrak station in Omaha is located to the side of the old Burlington station, and IIRC it is one of the standard 80-s concrete block Amtrak depots with waiting room and agent. The train uses the platform that is behind the old Burlington station, but the Amtrak station is right there, so not a major hike. Location isn't the greatest - at least it wasn't - but I recall seeing where a local television station bought the old Burlington depot and remodeled it into their station studios and offices, so it should be much nicer than before. Shouldn't have too much trouble with service there, agent should be able to help with any local transport issues if needed. Looking at yelp reviews, the two recent ones indicate the staff is very friendly, the location felt safe but the station was a little dated. Good luck with your travels!

Thanks for the replies. The schedule shows baggage service is an option. There is a 10 minute stop at Omaha so that means that the retrieval time for the baggage cant be longer than this but using the downstairs rack is usually very convenient. Tough decision to make. .

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually at these small- to medium-sized stations the assistant conductor and the agent unload the baggage for that stop onto a cart, and immediately after it's unloaded they close the door and tend to the business of taking care of the train. After the train departs and immediate business is dealt with, the station agent will then take the bags off the cart and give them to you. Please Note: Amtrak, as a rule, is very strict about matching claim checks before they will release luggage, even at the smallest of stations. It is a very big no-no to grab your own bag off the cart before the agent releases it to you, even if you're absolutely sure it's yours.

My wife and I rode the CZ to Omaha from Emeryville and back this past summer. The station is as describe in other post. There isn't a taxi stand but I did see a cab pick a passenger up on arrival. I'm sure they had called for the cab though. There is an agent present. Parking lot and pick up point for cabs is at opposite track side of station, you will have to transport your luggage either through station or around if you don't check your luggage. I did not check our luggage. I'm not sure how checked luggage is handled. It would either be track side pickup or in station. On out bound you do check luggage in station. There are no carousel for luggage. We stayed in a hotel that had 24hr shuttle It took about 20 minutes for them to arrive by that time the place was just about vacant of anyone. When we were waiting to board in station on return leg of trip there were about 25 others there to board. Omaha was a great place for us to visit and had wonder experiences there. There are no rental car company at the station. There is no near by bus service. Hope this is of use T.O.M.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back