On Southwest Chief now

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest_Gingee_*

HI ALL, I am on the Southwest Chief right now headed to LA. Is anyone else on that is usually on these boards? I do have a password and such but I am not home (obviously) and that is where my password is.

I am sitting in the lounge car. There is a guy who is occasionally talking about the country. It is pretty country.

Went through Kansas last night. I have heard from quite a few people that is is rough country. I didn't think it was bad.

For those who have gotten off in Alburqurque, is there anything to do there in the late afternoon for a hour or however long we have?

Yes, western Kansas, Colorado, and eastern New Mexico that you've travel is a very rough country. This year was a really wet winter, so that's why the prairie are in good shape. About 1 for every 3 to 5 years, we get wet winter. It's a gambling for dryland farmers.

At Albuquerque platform, there's a stand or two of Indian jewelry. If you see a "cargo" trailer selling items, it may sell burritos. Some people would go across the street in front of Amtrak station to buy some treats such as latte, mocha, ice cream, etc. Make sure that you'll be back before the train depart.

Yes, western Kansas, Colorado, and eastern New Mexico that you've travel is a very rough country. This year was a really wet winter, so that's why the prairie are in good shape. About 1 for every 3 to 5 years, we get wet winter. It's a gambling for dryland farmers.
I interpreted Gingee's comment about rough country to refer to the quality of the ride, i.e., track conditions. It's always refreshing to see an on-the-ground report that counters the general opinion.

I interpreted Gingee's comment about rough country to refer to the quality of the ride, i.e., track conditions. It's always refreshing to see an on-the-ground report that counters the general opinion.
I have ridden that stretch of the SWC 3 time over the past two years and can attest to the rough ride. The worst of it is during the night time so perhaps Gingee was asleep and did not notice as much.

Everyone's opinion can be different, but I have traveled many Amtrak miles and I personally have not been on any stretch that was worse.

I think it can depend too where you are riding. In a lower level superliner sleeper last summer, I didn't feel a thing all night long. Based on board comments, had half expected to need to use bungee cords to tie myself down to the bed. Not sure if they've surfaced the track lately or something, but compared to rides on some UP track across Wyoming, I didn't think it was all that bad.

I think it can depend too where you are riding. In a lower level superliner sleeper last summer, I didn't feel a thing all night long. Based on board comments, had half expected to need to use bungee cords to tie myself down to the bed. Not sure if they've surfaced the track lately or something, but compared to rides on some UP track across Wyoming, I didn't think it was all that bad.
Quite true. I have never experienced the SWC on the lower level for a significant amount of time.

One thing I remember vividly is watching the movement of the two cars through the end doors. I was surprised as some of the harsh and big movements I saw. While seated, I should not be able to read the car number of the car in front of us while the doors are closed!

One thing I remember vividly is watching the movement of the two cars through the end doors. I was surprised as some of the harsh and big movements I saw. While seated, I should not be able to read the car number of the car in front of us while the doors are closed!
Aloha

At one point I asked one of the Attendants or crew "aren't the horses supposed to be up front" the lounge car felt like a bucking bronc. :rolleyes:

For those who have gotten off in Alburqurque, is there anything to do there in the late afternoon for a hour or however long we have?
There will be vendors selling trinkets on the station platform when you arrive.

There used to be a coldstone creamery across the street from the station, but I believe that's gone. The last I heard, it

had been replaced with a store selling gelato, so you can still get your cold sweet fix.

I will be going through Albuquerque next month on the SWC.The famous burrito stand has never been there the few times I have been there so perhaps this time I will get to see it.

I meant that the train did not seem to wobble during the night like I thought it would. I also put a blanked by the outside part of the train like a cushion. I did ask for another pillow for tonight. Kind of flat.

We recently returned from our third trip aboard the SW Chief. We commented to each other afterward that Kansas didn't seem nearly as rough this time as it had before. My husband said he kept worrying he'd be thrown from his bunk the first and second times -- despite the holding straps!

Okay we just got back from walking five blocks. Some vendor told us to go up four or five blocks and there were some shops up there. Well we walked up Central Street five blocks. Found a store selling anything Indian. It said it was wholesale Indian Jewelry and Crafts. Hmmm Ended up buying a Magnet and that was it.

There are vendors right outside the train selling stuff but I thought they were overpriced. There are bars and such close to the train. There is also food right inside the station with a teenie gift shop.

Well I know what is there now. By the way, we got out this morning and about froze. Got out this time and man it was hot!!!!

Any questions?

Okay we just got back from walking five blocks. Some vendor told us to go up four or five blocks and there were some shops up there. Well we walked up Central Street five blocks. Found a store selling anything Indian. It said it was wholesale Indian Jewelry and Crafts. Hmmm Ended up buying a Magnet and that was it.
There are vendors right outside the train selling stuff but I thought they were overpriced. There are bars and such close to the train. There is also food right inside the station with a teenie gift shop.

Well I know what is there now. By the way, we got out this morning and about froze. Got out this time and man it was hot!!!!

Any questions?
Hello,

I'm going to be riding the SWC in 2 weeks from LA to CHI. I only ever rode one long distance train before, the California Zephyr. Can I ask you a few questions:

1. Is the crew friendly or miserable?

2. Is the train clean? Do you have a sleeping compartment? If so was it clean?

3. Is the food good in the dining car?

4. Does the train seem full/crowded?

Thanks

Sorry I didn't read this until you already passed through 'burque.

The Cold Stone Creamery is indeed gone, and the gelatto shop that replaced it is gone also.

If future visitors want food...there is a coffee shop inside th Alvarado Transit Center (the city transit center, just north of the Amtrak/Greyhound building). They have coffee, burritos, and snacks.

If you have more time, walking west on Central brings you past many restaurants including sub shops. There are a few trinket shops, I would save your money. There are a couple of beautiful buildings including the Kimo theater, which is a very unusual pueblo deco style. If you can get inside the building, it is worh the look, I promise you have never seen anything quite like it.

BTW, there was a movie filming in the transit center (I got there at 5:15). They most likely were filming when the Chief went through. Hope you got to see it, it is interesting to see all the equipment they use. NM has become a little Hollywood over the past couple years.

Hope you had a nice visit. The scenery coming up through western New Mexico is beautiful. Watch for a stone church built almost into the side of a hill, viewed from the south facing windows of the train near Acoma Pueblo.

Hello,I'm going to be riding the SWC in 2 weeks from LA to CHI. I only ever rode one long distance train before, the California Zephyr. Can I ask you a few questions:

1. Is the crew friendly or miserable?

2. Is the train clean? Do you have a sleeping compartment? If so was it clean?

3. Is the food good in the dining car?

4. Does the train seem full/crowded?

Thanks
I can answer some of your questions. Crew members on the SWC we've experienced in our trips (the latest less than a month ago) have ranged from excellent to average -- never miserable. On at least two occasions we've reported high praise (and tipped accordingly!).

We've always had sleepers, and both our sleeper cars and the rest of the trains that we've seen have been very clean. Not always brand-new (there are sometimes rattles), but clean.

The food has always been decent -- and in the past year we've noticed a definite trend toward better than that. I'd say it's about like neighborhood chains like Appleby's and O'Charley's.

All long-distance trains are more and more full -- and that's a good thing, for those of us who want train service to continue!

The crew has been okay. I wouldn't say anything special. I overhead one attendant tell a woman "why did you bring so much stuff if you need help with it?" She replied "I am taking some of the stuff to my sister who just had a heart attack you ...hole.

Anyway, the rooms are all right. We have a roommette and our attendant is a guy named Brian. Kind of quiet.

The food is good.

Anything else?

Oh I didn't see any filming while we were there. Also only saw the one trinket shop that we went into. Basically it was nice to get out and walk.

The scenery coming up through western New Mexico is beautiful. Watch for a stone church built almost into the side of a hill, viewed from the south facing windows of the train near Acoma Pueblo.
It really is, I rode the SWC in January and loved every minute of it! Really a fabulous route that is wonderfully scenic. The staff was top-notch and I hated to get off when we arrived in L.A.

BTW, there was a movie filming in the transit center (I got there at 5:15). They most likely were filming when the Chief went through. Hope you got to see it, it is interesting to see all the equipment they use. NM has become a little Hollywood over the past couple years.
Aloha

Albuquerque has been very aggressive in encourage filming by supporting the construction of a major studio and streamlining the permit process. They also take a strong interest in keeping their crews trained. As someone that have worked in production I find it interesting watching the people who watch us work. A common statement about our industry is "hurry up and wait". :rolleyes:

Aloha

Albuquerque has been very aggressive in encourage filming by supporting the construction of a major studio and streamlining the permit process. They also take a strong interest in keeping their crews trained. As someone that have worked in production I find it interesting watching the people who watch us work. A common statement about our industry is "hurry up and wait". :rolleyes:
Sounds like the Military except with better pay,better food and definitely hotter babes! :lol:

I am going to be taking the Southwest Chief from Flagstaff to Galesburg in a couple of weeks for the first time in 25 years. Last time, I went alone and loved it. This time, I am with 6 other people, including my four middle-schoolers. I gave them the choice of flying/driving or taking the train for a little adventure and they picked the train. They are really excited and now I am nervous that it will be a lot different than I remember. They are also starting to ask lots of questions about things like outlets (God forbid the PSP dies!), so I found this site searching the internet for some answers for them. We're going coach because there was no bedroom available and we'd have to have 3 roomettes and couldn't be in the same car. Thanks for adding your experience, because any info helps!

Oh wow, I used to take the Southwest Chief from Flagstaff to San Bernardino when I was a little boy. My mom realized I was crazy about trains back then and gave me the option of taking the train instead of driving when we'd go visit my grandparents. Oh boy was I was in heaven on those trips. There were no PSP's back then so I stayed up all night running around the train with other kids. I bet we annoyed a lot of folks, but hopefully we weren't too bad. In any case, I would keep checking on the bedroom situation. Things can change as you get closer to the departure date, up to and including when you board. Even if you remain in coach you should still have access to plugs. At least they had plenty of plugs in coach on my last trip.

I am going to be taking the Southwest Chief from Flagstaff to Galesburg in a couple of weeks for the first time in 25 years. Last time, I went alone and loved it. This time, I am with 6 other people, including my four middle-schoolers. I gave them the choice of flying/driving or taking the train for a little adventure and they picked the train. They are really excited and now I am nervous that it will be a lot different than I remember. They are also starting to ask lots of questions about things like outlets (God forbid the PSP dies!), so I found this site searching the internet for some answers for them. We're going coach because there was no bedroom available and we'd have to have 3 roomettes and couldn't be in the same car. Thanks for adding your experience, because any info helps!
Outlets in coach can be hit or miss. Amtrak currently is adding outlets to every seat in the coaches, but it has a long way to go to get them all. So it comes down to you may or may not have outlets.

There are several outlets in the lounge car, but you will find many people using them. You might bring along a power strip then you can us it to add outlets.

Also make sure you bring headphones for all electronic equipment. People around you will appreciate it.

You might also want to pack lots of snacks. Feel free to even take a cooler on board with you. Otherwise your kids are going to constantly want food from the lounge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back