On the Zephyr now....

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tumbleweed

OBS Chief
Just East of Ottumwa, IA, right on time or a little ahead. I'm using my netbook and a 3g wireless modem. Pretty good signal strength most of the time....I was even able to video skype our son in Florida and show them the view out the window....Granddaughter thought that was pretty cool! :cool:

Thanks for sharing! We're on in April, too, so I am especially interested in all things Zephyr.

First the good. IMO the CZ on-board service has improved noticeably over the last couple of years, not to mention on time performance.

Unfortunately, I can't say the same for equipment reliability. In a recent 3 segment trip:

GBB to DEN: the dining car was bad ordered out of CHI and the D/L replacement had some problem so sleeping car passenger got one selection from the lounge car for the main course.

DEN to WIP: horn in the lead engine went bad near FMD (Ft. Morgan) and the estimated 15 minutes early into DEN changed at the last minute to 1:15 late. I had no idea that the engineer couldn't blow the horn in the second engine. After all, he can control its speed and direction.

DEN - DAV: no HEP when we boarded in DEN. They were changing engines due to snow problems. Fortunately, there was a protect engine in DEN and we didn't lose too much time. Last year on a similar trip, it took 2 hours to get an UP engine to help out. Also, the grill in the diner was down, so no steaks at dinner and only scrambled eggs (much inferior to the omelet) and continental for breakfast.

It's off topic, but those defects paled compared to the 4th segment - DAV to SBA on the Coast Starlight. The Pacific Parlor Car, which I had been wanting to ride for a long time, was missing. At least if it had been there, I would have had a fighting chance of justifying to my wife the expense of a roomette for a day trip. Without it -- just plain embarrassing. :angry2:

Just East of Ottumwa, IA, right on time or a little ahead. I'm using my netbook and a 3g wireless modem. Pretty good signal strength most of the time....I was even able to video skype our son in Florida and show them the view out the window....Granddaughter thought that was pretty cool! :cool:
What are you using to connect? A USB dongle? iPhone?

Good stuff. I would be interested to hear any comments good or bad as I am due on this in September! :rolleyes:

What are you using to connect? A USB dongle? iPhone?
A USB 3G modem from Verizon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back