"On Time" + "Trains" Can be done

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmtrakWPK

Conductor
AU Supporting Member
Honored Member
Just reading Trains Mag online, some impressive facts re Japan high speed trains: They carry ~ 360,000 pax/day, never had a serious accident, and ( !!!!! ) average delay for departure and arrival : 6 SECONDS per train (FY 2003)!!! :blink: :eek: Max Speed ~ 170 MPH

It IS possible, if society (i.e. the government) is willing to provide the infrastructure to do it. Of course, it's a MUCH smaller country, although they have some fairly unique challenges, like frequent moderate earthquakes, which would certainly tend to increase the pax' laundry bill if it occurred at 170 MPH........

I lived in Japan for 3 years and took the train and subways to get around. There was not one time that I can remember the train ever being late.

They are very reliable, regarless of where you were going.

I think we could learn a lot from them.

By the way, we had 3 large earthquakes in Tokyo while I lived there and the trians still were on time. The Japanese are used to earthquakes and buildings there are built different. They are built to sway. There are also a lot of elevated freeways and train tracks, I know for certain that the freeways are built to sway and bounce but I am not sure about the tracks. If you look at the Kobe earthquake... a lot of the damage that occured was as a result of old buildings, not new ones. I don't remember anything about the trains. I remember being on the freeway, stopped and the car bouncing and moving, it's a trip. I would think with they way other things are built they would have an infrastructure in place that would be able to handle such events.

Come to think of it there was one time that all subway trains on a certain route were halted and that was as a result of the sarin (sp?) gas attacks, which happened right below the apartments that I lived in. Not a fun day to get around Tokyo!

Diane

Ya know I think about our government wanting to cut passenger trains. Isn't that the most absurd thing you've heard!? But yes we do have alot to learn about timelyness and infrastructure. Maybe one day it'll happen here in America. So I guess one minute late in Japan is like being an hour or two late here.

I have an idea for a tv show, lets get some tourists from Japan and put them on the Sunset and record their results.

Aloha

I wasn't going to comment, but :rolleyes: If they copy it, and improve it, as they claim to improve everthing, then are the delays longer, or shorter :blink: B) :p :eek:

Eric

Back