On Time.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KiwiKate

Train Attendant
I noticed in a discussion post that someone had "tracked a train" to see how often it was late, on time, etc. How do you do this please? I can't imagine you have to sit at the side of the tracks every day with a stopwatch and a spreadsheet!

While that could be an interesting way to pass the time this page allows you to track any train between any two stations on its route all from the comfort of your own computer. When we usually track them to gauge on time performance we track them for several days or weeks at a time. Hope this helps.

The easiest way is to track them in real time from a Dispatchers Console, unfortunately none of have access to this. It can also be done by using a Railroad Computer that logs when a train passes through each CP, again none of us have access to this at home (some do at work). So we're forced to track through the status updates at amtrak.com.

Another way, should you sometimes be at a place where you do not have have access to a computer(good for people like me, who do not have a computer at home) is to call "Julie". Amtrak's automated voice at 1-800-USA-RAIL. After Julie has spoken about 10 seconds gently but firmly interrupt her with the words "train status" (this saves her going through a long speil asking you about reservations, etc) .....this will immedately put her in the train status mode. The first question she will then ask you is if you know the train's number Always try to have that , it will be helpful.

Actually even easier, just hit 3. That takes you to train status, then 1 since you most likely know the train number, dial in the train number, press 1 for arrival, 2 for departure, say the station name, press 1 for today, or 2 for tomorrow. Summary status comes up, then press 1 to repeat or press 2 for more details.

One note, you don't have to wait for her to finish what she's saying, as soon as she starts talking, you can start punching numbers. I would recommend you wait to talk though for station name, otherwise you often get "Sorry I didn't understand what you said."

battalion51 said:
Actually even easier, just hit 3. That takes you to train status, then 1 since you most likely know the train number, dial in the train number, press 1 for arrival, 2 for departure, say the station name, press 1 for today, or 2 for tomorrow. Summary status comes up, then press 1 to repeat or press 2 for more details.
It makes it much easier. Back a few years ago, you had to press numbers to get to the correct menu, they edited that out. You used to be able to type in the first 3 letters of the Arrival/Departure station instead of HAVING to say it, but that has long since been fazed out. It used to make it easier in situations where there was quite a bit of noise, instead of the occasion when you ask for "Chicago, IL" and get "Cleveland, GA" :lol: .

Thanks for all that - seems we ended up with a conference on how to best speak to an animated voice??? Strange!! :unsure:

I'm afraid it's rather an expensive option for me - phoning from where I live in New Zealand so I will try the earlier suggestions. Thanks again. Kate.

KiwiKate said:
Thanks for all that - seems we ended up with a conference on how to best speak to an animated voice??? Strange!! :unsure: I'm afraid it's rather an expensive option for me - phoning from where I live in New Zealand so I will try the earlier suggestions. Thanks again. Kate.
I kind of figured you were from New Zealand with your handle. Welcome to our board any other questions just ask. :)

battalion51 said:
The easiest way is to track them in real time from a Dispatchers Console, unfortunately none of have access to this. It can also be done by using a Railroad Computer that logs when a train passes through each CP, again none of us have access to this at home (some do at work). So we're forced to track through the status updates at amtrak.com.
Thanks for reminding us how wonderful and useful these things are that none of us have.

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back