One dead and 71 injured in long haul flight from London to Singapore

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats why whenever I leave my seat on an airliner, to use the lav, I always have one hand above me prepared to brace against the ceiling, just in case…
If the turbulence is sudden and severe, which it sounds like this was, a raised hand would not save you from injury if you're standing or unbuckled. The best you can do is remain buckled when seated. I've had several eventful flights but only two encounters with dangerous turbulence. On both flights we were warned over the PA but anyone standing would have been tossed around like a rag doll.

If the turbulence is sudden and severe, which it sounds like this was, a raised hand would not save you from injury if you're standing or unbuckled. The best you can do is remain buckled when seated. I've had several eventful flights but only two encounters with dangerous turbulence. On both flights we were warned over the PA but anyone standing would have been tossed around like a rag doll.

I agree, and always keep my belt firmly buckled, and only use the lav maybe once on longer flights, but if there is a sudden drop, I believe I can at least reduce the severity of impact somewhat by expecting it could happen, and bracing for it....

I believe many people have a cavalier attitude to using the seat buckles while mid-flight and tend to ignore the illuminated sign. Cabin staff are often occupied with other tasks and do not consistently enforce their usage. From my interpretation of the article, most of the injured were not walking in the aisle but were initially seated when the turbulence began and then injured by being flung upwards out of their seats and hitting their heads on the luggage bins. Hot drinks and personal objects flying around would add to the mayhem. Being hit by say, a laptop, can be very unpleasant and can cause serious injuries. This makes me wonder what the correct and safe thing to do would be if I have a cup full of coffee or a hot meal in front of me when turbulence begins. There is typically no place I can secure it.

There are many causes of CAT. Going in or out of a jet stream is just one. Momentum can cause a sudden change in airspeed changing the aircraft's lift to change causing aircraft to either rise or fall. While still flying occasionally when the outside air temp changed more than 4 degrees C it might mean some turbulence was imminent. Do not know if any follow up has been done?

It was Clear Air Turbulence (CAT) which is undetectable from a remote point using any instrumentation.

CAT, sometimes quite severe, is not unusual in the ITCZ (Inter Tropical Convergence Zone) which at this time of the year would be located over the Bay of Bengal and is pretty notorious and at times vicious, for providing roller coaster rides on flights from Kolkata to Port Blair for example and in general for flights from North India to South India and Southeast Asia. Most flights from Europe to SE Asia and Australia cross the ITCZ over this region and try to do the best to use forecasts of ITCZ activity to belt down passengers when deemed prudent. But nature has a way of not adhering to forecasts sometimes, unfortunately.

As the Northern Monsoon arrives the ITCZ moves further North in this area. OTOH Northern Winter is relatively calm in this area as the ITCZ is then marginally South of the Equator.

Incidentally, flights from Europe to South America also have to contend with the ITCZ, but over the Atlantic the ITCZ is much further South due to the absence of any large continents to the North in the Atlantic Ocean.

The bottom line is when the crew turns the Seat Belt sign on when you are seemingly flying smoothly with blue sky above and clear views below (especially when flying across the ITCZ), take it seriously and belt yourself down. There is a reason that the sign was turned on. Forecast!

My general practice is to keep the seat belt on whenever I am seated, which is most of the flight. Also when you are lying flat in a lie flat seat, make sure that the seat belt is around you and fastened. That will keep you from hitting the ceiling if the plane hit a strong downdraft.

Here is some more on what transpired...

The good news is the plane was rock solid and the structural integrity was not compromised. The bad news is that almost a third of the passengers had to be treated for some level of injury. The one fatality was due to a heart condition apparently.

Last edited:
I agree, and always keep my belt firmly buckled, and only use the lav maybe once on longer flights, but if there is a sudden drop, I believe I can at least reduce the severity of impact somewhat by expecting it could happen, and bracing for it....
It's good advice for mild and moderate turbulence. When I'm traveling to/from locations that are known for bumpy rides (PHX, DEN, ABQ) I keep a hand up along the luggage racks if I'm visiting the lavatory or galley to avoid lateral impact or falling into someone's lap.

I believe many people have a cavalier attitude to using the seat buckles while mid-flight and tend to ignore the illuminated sign.
If I'm being honest that used to be me. I sometimes went entire flights without wearing a seat belt. Until I saw what real turbulence looks like. Everything that was not tied down was flying anywhere and everywhere, including food, drinks, electronics, etc. After that I buckled up whenever seated. Asian airlines tend to be pretty alert about checking but US airlines rarely bothered or noticed.

Hot meals? Lie flat seats? What are these wonders that folk speak of?

Us folk in steerage are quite safe, as we are so firmly wedged into our tiny seats, even without seatbelts! ;) :cool:
Indeed. I remember my good old student days. Back then there was no lie flat seats even in First Class. The worst were those diagonal sloping doohickeys which were to me at least, more uncomfortable than a nice seat. As it turns out the worst CAT that I have been through was while seated in one of the standard 17" wide, 32" pitch seat. The people who were not belted down still flew up and got bumps on their head. The worst part of the outcome was widespread soiling of seats by people throwing up. After we landed at diversion airport they hand to change out over a third of the seat base cushions. Fortunately it was at a hub of the airline involved.

Hot meals? Lie flat seats? What are these wonders that folk speak of?

Us folk in steerage are quite safe, as we are so firmly wedged into our tiny seats, even without seatbelts! ;) :cool:
Somebody's been flying this airline...

1716425503893.png
I think I had hot meals on my most recent transatlantic flights (Air Canada & UAL).

I don't understand why so many people are unbelted while sitting in their seats. Most of the serious injuries would not have occurred if passengers heeded the advice to use seat belts when seated, due to the possibility of unexpected turbulence. There are still a few people who ride/drive in cars unbelted, but the vast majority buckle up. I suppose it would be similarly necessary to make it a law to get most folks to adopt a precautionary behavior for their own safety and that of others.

I am booked on a Singapore Airlines flight from London to Singapore in 2 months. Trying not to think about this at the moment:eek:
Singapore Airlines have a good safety record and fly large modern aircraft that are as safe and reliable as they come. I would have no fear of flying them, even across the Inter-Tropical Convergence Zone. Buckle up whenever you're seated or laying down and you should be good to go.

I don't understand why so many people are unbelted while sitting in their seats.
Probably because severe turbulence is relatively rare (although increasing) and flying long haul often precludes meaningful rest and impairs alertness.

I suppose it would be similarly necessary to make it a law to get most folks to adopt a precautionary behavior for their own safety and that of others.
There is a law for flights involving the US.

Each passenger required by § 121.311(b) to occupy a seat or berth shall fasten his or her safety belt about him or her and keep it fastened while
the ‘‘Fasten Seat Belt’’ sign is lighted.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2011-title14-vol3/pdf/CFR-2011-title14-vol3-sec121-317.pdf

Looks like the maximum fine is $10,000 but to get that you'd probably have to refuse repeated instructions and insist on remaining unbuckled.

Last edited:
At 07:49:40 hr, the aircraft experienced a rapid change in G as recorded vertical acceleration decreased from +ve 1.35G to negative (-ve) 1.5G, within 0.6 sec. This likely resulted in the occupants who were not belted up to become airborne. At 07:49:41 hr, the vertical acceleration changed from -ve 1.5G to +ve 1.5G within 4 sec. This likely resulted in the occupants who were airborne to fall back down.

Incident Synopsis Link: https://www.mot.gov.sg/news/Details...tigation-findings-of-incident-involving-sq321

Yikes. That's too sudden and too severe to protect yourself in the moment. Unless you have ESP.

Last edited:
I don't understand why so many people are unbelted while sitting in their seats. Most of the serious injuries would not have occurred if passengers heeded the advice to use seat belts when seated, due to the possibility of unexpected turbulence. There are still a few people who ride/drive in cars unbelted, but the vast majority buckle up. I suppose it would be similarly necessary to make it a law to get most folks to adopt a precautionary behavior for their own safety and that of others.
I wasn't there of course, but sometimes people just forget, especially on returning to their seats from visiting the bathroom or standing up to retrieve something from an overhead locker. It is actually advisable to get up from time to time on longer flights and stretch one's legs. Not doing so may increase the risk of economy class syndrome.

Then there may also be the effect that even if one is seated and wearing the seatbelt correctly, unexpected and sudden turbulence may send one's personal belongings flying and one's natural response may be to get up and attempt to retrieve them. Thus increasing one's risk of injury (not to mention the risk to others).

Last edited:
I am booked on a Singapore Airlines flight from London to Singapore in 2 months. Trying not to think about this at the moment:eek:
The odds of this not happening to the same carrier anytime soon are in your favor. But always keep your seatbelt on. I usually loosen mine an inch or two for comfort after we get to altitude, and tighten it for landing

Apparently this part of the world is known for unexpected turbulence - above the Bay of Bengal, who woulda thunk it? I'm keeping my seatbelt "comfortably fastened" thank you very much.

There is a scene in one of the Hitchhikers Guide series (book 5 of 3 possibly) where Arthur Dent travels so often he gets so bored and resorts to reading the inflight safety instructions. As a result, he the only one to survive when his spaceship crashed. Sometimes I think that's me.

Back