One last tear

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

F40PHR231

Train Attendant
F40 #323, known for it's sad face applied to the nose by Seattle crews, as it prepared to pull the last eastbound Pioneer from the west. Duct tape was used to apply the "eyes" and the "frown".

Now, #323 sits on a track in Beech Grove, IN, adjacent to the on-site scrap yard. Watching a number of F40s, per day, be shredded into pieces.

Knowing that her fellow co-workers, and thyself will be next... Shedding one last tear, to leave behind an essence that holds the great experience Amtrak F40s had from 1975 to 2001.

There is an end to everything on this planet, and her time has come to do one final bow...

323cry.jpg

323cry1.jpg

Money money money!

Amtrak is so cash strapped that they're selling what they can, just so they can make it through the next 2-3 months. If the Government doesn't come up with the cash that is needed, Amtrak will head down the deadline and scrap itself...

If it weren't for the Government, the Warrington Administration screwing things up at Amtrak, the F40s would still be running proud today.

~Chris

I still love seeing the F-40's proudly pulling Tri-Rail trains on the SoFla Corridor. For me 807-809 are the best looking engines because they were only built in 1992 by Morrison Knudsen and have the new Phase II paint scheme. Although 811 (former Amtrak 379) will probably be my new favorite once it is painted into Phase II from its current GO Transit scheme.

Metrolink, MNRR, CSX, and Tri-Rail have done their part to save a few, not to mention Chris saving 231. :D

MNRR is using F-40's? Where, I thought they were just using Genesis units.

Well... it's not official yet, but it might not hurt to leak some news... Grand Canyon bought 237, 239, and 295 for their trains.

~Chris

battalion51 said:
Metrolink, MNRR, CSX, and Tri-Rail have done their part to save a few, not to mention Chris saving 231.   :D
I was referring to B51's post MNRR is MTA Metro-North Commuter Railroad, I was under the impression that Metra was always called Metra.

My mistake for not quoting when I made the previous post.

tp49:

Correction...MY mistake. I don't think I had even noticed that post. I assumed when you said MNRR, you confused it with Metra, especially since it came right after my post. But then just today I noticed that earlier post. So I apologize :) .

tp49

Metro North uses F40's on west of Hudson river trains that are run inconjunction with NJT.

John

That's right MNRR owns a few, among them former Amtrak 372 (now 4191), 382 (now 4192). CSX owns former Amtrak 390 and 395 (now 9992 and 9993 respectively). Tri-Rail owns former Amtrak 363 (810) and 379 (811). I completely forgot about MBTA, and Metra. Grand Canyon is a new one to me though.

Guest_chefrhodes81 said:
tp49
Metro North uses F40's on west of Hudson river trains that are run inconjunction with NJT.

John
Thanks for that bit of info. Having never been on that service I would never have even thought of that. Are the MN F-40's in MNRR colors or NJT?

B-51 thanks for clarifying.

Tub

No problem it's a 50/50 situation there (I think that mekas it a wash) :)

I believe MNRR has them painted in their colors, along with some coaches seen on the NJT system. NJT does own F40's, painted in NJT Colors, which run primarily on the Raritan Valley Line, so if you're ever in Newark Penn Station (also Amtrak Serves here), you should see them on Track 5, the RVL's typical track and locomotive.

I've seen a few in MN colors. Of course I've seen them everywhere but on MN tracks. NJT interchanges it's cars and loco's with MN west of the Hudson fleet, since they actually run the service for MN.

battalion51 said:
That's right MNRR owns a few, among them former Amtrak 372 (now 4191), 382 (now 4192). CSX owns former Amtrak 390 and 395 (now 9992 and 9993 respectively). Tri-Rail owns former Amtrak 363 (810) and 379 (811). I completely forgot about MBTA, and Metra. Grand Canyon is a new one to me though.
Do you know what CSX uses their's for?

CSX uses them for office trains since they are usually pretty short and the F-40's are HEP equipped.

battalion51 said:
CSX uses them for office trains since they are usually pretty short and the F-40's are HEP equipped.
Ah. Makes sense. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back