One Night Amtrak trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capltd29

Lead Service Attendant
I've posted this in another forum, but i decided to post here as well.

In early November, My family is planning a trip within one night my train from Richmond, VA. We are considering Chicago, Atlanta, or Tampa. I've never been to the Latter two. I've never spent more than a few hours in Chicago.

What would Y'all Recommend that we do?

Its Important that there is a Mass Transit System....I am eco-friendly.

Anything would be helpful, or if there are other cities that ya'll recommend, feel free to throw those in too.

Thanks

Jon Parker

I personally love Tampa, I think it's a great city. It's not very mass transit friendly, there's the trolley line, which is OK, but doesn't cover a significant portion of the region. Like anywhere else in Florida (unless you're going to strictly Disney) you pretty much have to have a car. If you think about Tampa there's a Hampton Inn just north of the station which is adjacent to Ybor City, but more importantly the A-Line, which sees 91, 92, and a switcher everyday.

Obviously Chicago's a great city, good mass transit, but you've been there and done that so I don't need to elaborate, but I personally wouldn't mind going back.

Another thing to note is that of the three cities you mentioned two of them require you to transfer at Washington (or Alexandria) and that is for Atlanta and Chicago. Tampa would be a one seat ride on the Silver Star, which is a pleasant ride but not necesarily the most scenic, Sean already covered the city itself. The crews are generally pretty good, however sometimes (but not usually) the dining car staff and/or some attendants can be hit or miss.

Atlanta would require you to take a Regional to Washington or Alexandria and transfer to train #20 the Crescent, personally I can't speak for what the scenery or the crew is like, but both use Single Level equipment. Atlanta has to some extent mass transit through MARTA which offers Bus and Rail Service in the metro Atlanta area.

Chicago as mentioned would be great in terms of mass transit through the CTA and METRA as well as even Amtrak Midwest Corridor routes if you want to do some railfanning in the area. Your options would be to take the Cardinal or Capitol Limited (after taking a Regional to Washington or Alexandria (Cardinal only at ALX)) The Cardinal passes through the New River Gorge which I hear is lovely but it may pass through at Night (not sure). Another drawback to the Cardinal is that it's tri-weekly and you'd have to schedule your trip around the days it operates, as well as that there isn't a full dining car. To that extent I'd reccomend the Capitol Limited over the Cardinal as it runs daily with a full diner as well as Bi-Level Superliner equipment.

Hope this information is usefull, I know you probably know much of this already but have fun whatever your choice.

I would say Chicago. You transfer to a 29 in Washington DC . The good thing about Chicago it nice city and weather is perfect. If you dont wanna spend the night in chicago you can take 30 out the same day (you get the early in Chicago for the stores to just be open) and return home the next day.

Right now, it looks like Boston might also be a viable option as well, I would like to take the Acela. Are all of the trainsets back yet?

Jon

Back