One night in Boston

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Well I'm not actually taking the train into Boston, but I do have one night there to find something to do. It looks like I'll get a hotel in Revere. I'm hoping its near the Revere Beach subway stop, so I can walk to it. The hotel is the Roadway Inn, at 309 American Legion Inn. I could also ride the Downeaster to Portland to spend the night there. Keep in mind i'll arrive at Boston Logan at about 5pm, and leave again for an 8am flight. I'd like to ride a train or a subway somewhere if possible. I figure downtown would be better then nothing. I've never been to Boston.

So if any of you that live up there, please give me some ideas for one night in Boston. Hopefully I'll make it up to Boston again to spend more time there. Thanks for the help!

Chris

Oh and one more question.....for you New Yorkers

I have from 9:15 am to 12:40 pm to get from La Guardia, to JFK. I'm familiar with the NYC subway, but I know there is no LGA connection really. So what is the cheapest and best way to do that? And how long will it take?

Chris

My best advice is to get to Jamaica. Alan could probably help you the most with this question though.

saxman66 said:
Oh and one more question.....for you New Yorkers
I have from 9:15 am to 12:40 pm to get from La Guardia, to JFK. I'm familiar with the NYC subway, but I know there is no LGA connection really. So what is the cheapest and best way to do that? And how long will it take?

Chris
Cheapest, but most complicated, would be Q33 bus (fare $2 and ask for a transfer, unless you already have a MetroCard) from the terminal to 74th Street-Broadway. I'm assuming that you not using the Delta Shuttle to reach LGA. Bus runs every 15 minutes or less all day long.

At 74th St/Broadway, go downstairs and transfer to the E train to Jamaica. Trains run about every 5 to 7 minutes. Ride the E to Sutphin Blvd. The ride should take about 15 to 20 minutes. Go upstairs and transfer to the JFK AirTrain.

You can find maps of the subways and the buses at the NYC Transit site.

The AirTrain will cost you $5 and you must buy a MetroCard to pay the fare. TVM's are available right before the turnstyles and will take cash or credit cards. Trains run every 4 to 8 minutes and the ride will take anywhere from 10 minutes to 15 depending on what terminal you need.

Now the easiest would be to ride the New York Airport Service Express Bus. This bus will take you directly from one airport to the other. It runs every 30 minutes and takes approximately 45 minutes to reach JFK. Cost is $11. There is no website, but further info can be obtained by calling (718) 875-8200.

There also seems to be another company, with a very similar name, so I'm not sure if the Port Authority's website needs updating or not. They claim to offer a similar service that costs 13 bucks. Their website can be found here.

saxman66 said:
I could also ride the Downeaster to Portland to spend the night there. Keep in mind i'll arrive at Boston Logan at about 5pm, and leave again for an 8am flight.
If you're leaving on an 8:00 AM flight, you won't be riding the Downeaster. The first train back from Portland doesn't arrive until 8:50 AM, well after your plane would have departed.

Thanks Alan,

So 74th and Broadway is in Manhatten right? Why does the Airtrain cost so much?

Also what about riding the A train to Howard Beach/JFK? I will be flying on American into LGA as well as out of JFK.

Also I better make this thread Amtrak related. I'll be taking the Cardinal from Indy to WAS this Friday. How is its ontime performance? I don't want to arrive at 2:30 am like it did the other day, and stay in a hotel I paid for for one night.

So to summerize my posts, feel free to answer any questions:

What to do for one night in Boston

Cardinal ontime status (weather looks good for this weekend)

LGA/JFK connections

Chris

Chris,

First, no 74th Street/Broadway is in Queens. With only a little more than 3 hours, you don't have time to go into Manhattan, especially with the need to be at JFK an hour before your departure time.

The AirTrain costs so much, because the Port Authority controls the train and they were under pressure from the airlines not to help the competition, namely trains. You can ride the AirTrain for free within the airport property, but you cannot exit the system outside airport property without paying the fee. This also ties in with your next question.

If you were to ride the A train to Howard Beach, you'd still be getting on the Airtrain outside of airport property. So you'd still end up paying the 5 bucks. Additionally just getting to the A and then riding it, would take the better part 90 minutes. And that's before the current problems that occured this past weekend on the A train, that currently have it running at 40% of it's normal capacity.

As it is, the bus/subway/Airtrain combo that I gave you will probably take at least an hour to perhaps 90 minutes depending on your luck at catching each leg. Going through Manhattan it would probably take 2 hours or more to reach JFK.

I'll chime in here a bit. I think Alan summarized the connections nicely. I've taken the Q33 bus - E train combo to get from LGA to Jamacia, and I've taken the Airtrain from Jamacia to JFK (although never all in one go).

If you attempt the Q33 - Etrain connection, plan to spend at least an hour on that leg. The E-train ride is longer than it looks and it takes about 20-25 minutes. I've taken the bus on two occasions. Once it took 5 minutes; once it took 15. If you add in the time you'll spend waiting to board the bus and the train, you're talking an hour to make that connection. Also, if you're trying to find the schedule for the Q33, note that it is NOT an MTA bus, but is operated by a private company. Do a google search for 'Q33' and 'LGA' and you'll find it. During off hours, this is actually a pretty straight forward and easy connection to make. I think it is what alot of LGA and airline employees use because I've seen lots of them on it.

I'm not certain that the airport shuttle bus that Alan mentioned is still running between LGA and Jamacia. I know they used to, but I haven't seen that option listed on their website ever since the Airtrain started operation (they used to run to JFK too). Perhaps the resulting loss of business was enough for them to drop Jamacia entirely.

If you're really strapped for time, you can always take a cab from LGA to Jamacia. If traffic is light, it should take about 20 minutes and cost between $20-30. I actually did this at the end of last December and the cab driver got me there in 15 minutes - I tipped him accordingly. If you have to go with this option (due to a lack of time - ie late flight), remember that there is more than one cab stand at LGA. The one centered outside of the main terminal (where AA flies) is probably going to be packed with a 10-20 minute wait. If you walk down to the far end of that terminal (the exit end, not the entrance end), there is another stand that may be completely empty.

As for Airtrain costing a lot, I've used it several times and am readily willing to pay $5 for the easy connection. When compared with the previously available options (airport bus, cab, drive and park) it is the fastest, easiest, and cheapest way to get to JFK. At JFK, AA flies out of Terminal 8 and 9 (I think 9 is domestic). The travel time from Jamacia to terminal 8/9 (same stop) is 10-15 minutes.

cbender said:
I'm not certain that the airport shuttle bus that Alan mentioned is still running between LGA and Jamacia. I know they used to, but I haven't seen that option listed on their website ever since the Airtrain started operation (they used to run to JFK too). Perhaps the resulting loss of business was enough for them to drop Jamacia entirely.
The Airport shuttle bus doesn't run to Jamaica, it runs directly from LGA to JFK. Additionally at least one company is still running a bus, since they have the schedule posted on the website that I linked to.

The Airport shuttle bus doesn't run to Jamaica, it runs directly from LGA to JFK. Additionally at least one company is still running a bus, since they have the schedule posted on the website that I linked to.
Ah, of course. I'm only ever interested in getting between Jamaica and one of the airports, so the possibility of a direct connection didn't occur to me until you spelled it out. It's really too bad that they no longer make the Jamaica-LGA connection - getting to LGA if you're coming from LI is a royal pain unless you drive.

Chris,

Your hotel is closest to Wonderland station on the Blue Line. According to Mapquest it is 1.1 miles by car from there to the hotel. Walking maybe shorter as there are a number of one-way streets a motorist would have to contend with. Or you can take the 116 Bus to Revere and Breed St. . According to the the T's trip planner it is .12 miles to the hotel from there.

As to what to ride. You can take the Blue Line to State change to the Orange Line and either go north to Oak Grove or south to Forest Hills. Ride back to Downtown Crossing( nee Washington) change to the Red Line and go to Alewife or to Braintree or Ashmont (two branches). If you go to Ashmont you change to the High Speed Line to Mattapan. That is an isolated LR line. Or there is the Green Line and its several branches.

It looks like you have only a little time. I might suggest the following route:

Blue line at Airport inbound to State, Orange Line to Forest Hills. Take the #39 Bus from Forest Hills to Heath Street, change there to the Green Line "E" train to Goverment (may require a change at Park). At Goverment take the Blue Line outbound to Wonderland.

Depending on what day you are going to be here I may be able to meet you. Please feel free to e-mail me.

Chris,
Your hotel is closest to Wonderland station on the Blue Line. According to Mapquest it is 1.1 miles by car from there to the hotel. Walking maybe shorter as there are a number of one-way streets a motorist would have to contend with. Or you can take the 116 Bus to Revere and Breed St. . According to the the T's trip planner it is .12 miles to the hotel from there.
Coming in in the morning the 411 also operates over that stretch so headways will be about 20 minutes or less, weather permitting. Also if riding on a weekend you also have the possibility of the 450, 455, and 426 which travel past the place you are staying at.

As to what to ride. You can take the Blue Line to State change to the Orange Line and either go north to Oak Grove or south to Forest Hills. Ride  back to Downtown Crossing( nee Washington) change to the Red Line and go to Alewife or to Braintree or Ashmont (two branches).
Either Forest Hills or Oak Grove should have rail action going on, with Oak Grove trains going past the main MBTA commuter rail yard and adjacent to all of the Northside Commuter Rail Lines. Forest Hills is adjacent to the NEC so you might see some Amtrak or MBTA trains speeding past on adjacent tracks.

If you go to Ashmont you change to the High Speed Line to Mattapan. That is an isolated LR line. Or there is the Green Line and its several branches
There are restored PCC cars operating on the Mattapan Line, plus if you ride the Green Line a day pass might be worth the purchase as you will enter and exit the system several times at Ashmont and on the Green Line eastbound and fares on the D branch of the Green Line are slightly higher and double past Resevoir.

It looks like you have only a little time. I might suggest the following route:Blue line at Airport inbound to State, Orange Line to Forest Hills. Take the #39 Bus from Forest Hills to Heath Street, change there to the Green Line "E" train to Goverment (may require a change at Park). At Goverment  take the Blue Line outbound to Wonderland.

Depending on what day you are going to be here I may be able to meet you. Please feel free to e-mail me.

The E Line will take you right into North Station so there isn't a change at Park Street but other than that Skip's suggestion covers a large chunk of the system with a short period of time.

Back