One-way from Seattle back to the SF Bay area

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rkw

Train Attendant
Thanks to everyone for their input on this thread when I needed to literally move me and my stuff back from NYC to the SF Bay area and have reliable power and Internet while doing that. It ends up that Amtrak really isn't equipped for what I needed, so I opted to drive. I also got lucky and a couple moving at the same time loaned me their minivan to drive. It made it all pretty easy.

Now I've got the road trip bug. I found an RV deal to move an RV from the SF Bay area up to the Seattle/Tacoma area. I'll have to come back though with a bike. I've decided that I want to take the non-stop Coast Starlight because 1) I've not traveled by train in the States before and 2) it's easier to deal with a bike I've heard on Amtrak than with airlines (between the travel box I'd need to get and the fees). However, there is no way I'm paying the $300 plus charge for a roomette, so I'll suffer in a seat for the 22 hour ride. The fare seems to be holding steady at $153 if I want to do a weekend return. I can also check my bike if I'm returning to Emeryville for the cost of a bike box and the fee.

I've not made my reservation simply because I do want to leave it open that if something comes up in Seattle I'm not bound to get on a train before I'm absolutely ready to head back. Am I risking the line being sold out or the fare going up? If so, fine, I'll lock myself in (I just hate that I have to do that.) If I travel on a Sunday, I'll cross my fingers and hope my mifi holds up so I can get Monday's work done (just to be safe).

Outside of that are there any tips you have for this trip? Does it matter which side of the train I'm on? Can I reserve a specific seat in advance? If so, which ones are best? From the previous thread, I got answers on some stuff like plugs and the general low-tech set-up on Amtrak trains. I can deal with that for 22 hours. Anything longer than that though and it's a no go.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure that this time the train trip is definitely going to happen!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to everyone for their input on this thread when I needed to literally move me and my stuff back from NYC to the SF Bay area and have reliable power and Internet while doing that. It ends up that Amtrak really isn't equipped for what I needed, so I opted to drive. I also got lucky and a couple moving at the same time loaned me their minivan to drive. It made it all pretty easy.

Now I've got the road trip bug. I found an RV deal to move an RV from the SF Bay area up to the Seattle/Tacoma area. I'll have to come back though with a bike. I've decided that I want to take the non-stop Coast Starlight because 1) I've not traveled by train in the States before and 2) it's easier to deal with a bike I've heard on Amtrak than with airlines (between the travel box I'd need to get and the fees). However, there is no way I'm paying the $300 plus charge for a roomette, so I'll suffer in a seat for the 22 hour ride. The fare seems to be holding steady at $153 if I want to do a weekend return. I can also check my bike if I'm returning to Emeryville for the cost of a bike box and the fee.

I've not made my reservation simply because I do want to leave it open that if something comes up in Seattle I'm not bound to get on a train before I'm absolutely ready to head back. Am I risking the line being sold out or the fare going up? If so, fine, I'll lock myself in (I just hate that I have to do that.) If I travel on a Sunday, I'll cross my fingers and hope my mifi holds up so I can get Monday's work done (just to be safe).

Outside of that are there any tips you have for this trip? Does it matter which side of the train I'm on? Can I reserve a specific seat in advance? If so, which ones are best? From the previous thread, I got answers on some stuff like plugs and the general low-tech set-up on Amtrak trains. I can deal with that for 22 hours. Anything longer than that though and it's a no go.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure that this time the train trip is definitely going to happen!
- The price can go up at any time, so waiting increases the possibility of an increase. However, $153 is already above the lowest bucket, so that may not be as much of an issue.

- You can't choose your seat in advance. If you board in Seattle, it will be assigned to you at check in. EDIT- I am coming down on the right side. That way you get the running along the Sound around Point Defiance after Tacoma, and the running along the Carquinez Strait and San Pablo Bay the next morning between Martinez and Richmond.

- The Starlight's timekeeping is pretty good now, but there is always the chance that something will happen. So if it is critical that you arrive in the Bay Area relatively early Monday morning, you may want to reconsider.

- Finally, if you call the reservation center and speak to an agent, you can make a reservation and HOLD it for 7 days without making a payment. Then if you want to keep it, call them up and give them your credit card. You may want to do that if you think you really do want to go, but are waivering.

- The price can go up at any time, so waiting increases the possibility of an increase. However, $153 is already above the lowest bucket, so that may not be as much of an issue.

- You can't choose your seat in advance. If you board in Seattle, it will be assigned to you at check in. EDIT- I am coming down on the right side. That way you get the running along the Sound around Point Defiance after Tacoma, and the running along the Carquinez Strait and San Pablo Bay the next morning between Martinez and Richmond.

- The Starlight's timekeeping is pretty good now, but there is always the chance that something will happen. So if it is critical that you arrive in the Bay Area relatively early Monday morning, you may want to reconsider.

- Finally, if you call the reservation center and speak to an agent, you can make a reservation and HOLD it for 7 days without making a payment. Then if you want to keep it, call them up and give them your credit card. You may want to do that if you think you really do want to go, but are waivering.
Yeah, I called after I made this post and the rep then told me there is no penalty for a change, so I went ahead and booked for a Sunday departure. The fare had gone up by $1. I'll have to take the train, so I might as well book it. It's just about exactly when I want to go. It will be either Sunday or Monday morning.

I don't have to be back. The theme with my last thread is that I'm a freelancer. That's why I can take a road trip across the country and then start taking more. ;) I just want to leave that day because I'm staying with someone and there is such a thing as over-staying your welcome. If it ends up that she's like "hey, stay another day!" I want that option.

I'll see if I can get a seat on the right side when I get my ticket and check-in. Thanks for your tips.

I've decided that I want to take the non-stop Coast Starlight because 1) I've not traveled by train in the States before and 2) it's easier to deal with a bike I've heard on Amtrak than with airlines (between the travel box I'd need to get and the fees). However, there is no way I'm paying the $300 plus charge for a roomette, so I'll suffer in a seat for the 22 hour ride. The fare seems to be holding steady at $153 if I want to do a weekend return. I can also check my bike if I'm returning to Emeryville for the cost of a bike box and the fee.
I hope that your understanding is through, not "non-stop" as you said. The train wil make quite a few stops along the way. Not all will be at stations, either. there will be quite a few stops or, if lucky, just slowing down to meet other trains. There is some fantastic mountain scenery along this route, but a lot of it will be during the dark given the time of year. You will also see a lot of countryside relatively untouched by the hand of man that you would not know existed if you only see the country from roads.

You will probably not really suffer that much in a seat. If you can sleep in a recliner, you should be able to sleep well on the train.

If it were me, I would get he roomette. It is worth the cost when you consider you get your meals included, plus the use of the Pacific Parlour Car. That being said, here are a couple thoughts from a frequent CS traveller & Trails & Rails guide.

1. For scenery, sit on the right side of the train.

2. If you want it quiet, get a lower level seat.

3. Bring a travel pillow & blanket. The cars get cold at night

4. If you plan on eating lunch or dinner in the diner, BE AT YOUR SEAT when the LSA announces they will be going through the train to take reservations. The SSL is always last, and depending on the passenger load in the sleepers (and the LSA) you may not get a reservation if you are in the SSL.

5. Watch for Eagles along Puget Sound south of Steilacoom. Also the Southern pod of Orcas can be seen here too.

If you wish, I will be happy to provide other scenic etc highlights from the T&R program between Seattle & Portland.

ENJOY your trip!

David

Seattle

I hope that your understanding is through, not "non-stop" as you said. The train wil make quite a few stops along the way. Not all will be at stations, either. there will be quite a few stops or, if lucky, just slowing down to meet other trains. There is some fantastic mountain scenery along this route, but a lot of it will be during the dark given the time of year. You will also see a lot of countryside relatively untouched by the hand of man that you would not know existed if you only see the country from roads.

You will probably not really suffer that much in a seat. If you can sleep in a recliner, you should be able to sleep well on the train.
While I've not taken Amtrak, I have traveled pretty far and wide around the world and by train. I know it's a train that will make a few stops. ;) What I meant was I didn't have to transfer.

If it were me, I would get he roomette. It is worth the cost when you consider you get your meals included, plus the use of the Pacific Parlour Car. That being said, here are a couple thoughts from a frequent CS traveller & Trails & Rails guide.

1. For scenery, sit on the right side of the train.

2. If you want it quiet, get a lower level seat.

3. Bring a travel pillow & blanket. The cars get cold at night

4. If you plan on eating lunch or dinner in the diner, BE AT YOUR SEAT when the LSA announces they will be going through the train to take reservations. The SSL is always last, and depending on the passenger load in the sleepers (and the LSA) you may not get a reservation if you are in the SSL.

5. Watch for Eagles along Puget Sound south of Steilacoom. Also the Southern pod of Orcas can be seen here too.

If you wish, I will be happy to provide other scenic etc highlights from the T&R program between Seattle & Portland.

ENJOY your trip!

David

Seattle
I just can't justify paying that amount for 22 hours on a train. I just can't. Honestly? I lean more on the frugal side, so I'm probably going to pack my food. I'll buy snacks or something. Since I'm traveling up in an RV, thanks for the reminder. I'll put the Snuggie in my tote instead of mailing it back with my other stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back