One Week - How Far Can I Get?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MSP_Train_Hopper

Train Attendant
Hi all,

Last year I bought a 15 day USA Rail pass and did a week trip over spring break. I left MSP on a Saturday morning, took the CONO to New Orleans and spent a night there. Then caught the Sunset Limited to LA and did a night there. Next morning took the CS to Portland for another night there and finished by returning on the Empire Builder and getting home to MSP that Monday morning. To say it was a fantastic trip is an understatement!! Anyway, looking at doing something similar this year and would like some advice.

I've done the EB and CS quite a few times, as well as this one trip on the SL & CONO, and would like to try some new routes. Any suggestions for a good solid week trip that leaves MSP either on a Friday eve or Saturday morn and gets back there that following Sunday (last year I took that adjoining monday off, but the boss kind of frowned on that one)?

Thanks in advance!

Here's my suggestion:

MSP - (#8) - CHI - (#5) - EMY - (#11) - LAX - (#4) - CHI - (#7) - MSP

In other words, a CZ-CS-SWC roundtrip, with the EB acting as a 'shuttle' to/from MSP. This will give you overnights in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, and one other city anywhere along the route. Leave Saturday morning, return home Sunday evening.

Yeah, I second doing the California Zephyr and the Southwest Chief. Not sure if you could squeeze an eastern train in, but maybe do the Cardinal to DC or New York, and come back on the Capitol Limited or Lake Shore Limited. This way you can continue westbound without having to overnight in Chicago, should you come from MSP, and want to ride the CZ or SWC.

:hi: I'll Second going East for the reasons mentioned! Try this Routing, think youll like it! ^_^

Sat MSP-CHI EB#8/#28

Sat/Sun CHI-NYP Cardinal #50

Sun NYC-Nite (Several Hostels in NYC/Google for Cheap Hotel)

Mon/Tue NYP-MIA Silver Star #91

Tue MIA-Nite (Google Cheap Hotel/possibly stay in Ft. Lauderdale or Hollywood)

Wed/Th MIA-WAS Silver Meteor#98***

Th/Fri WAS-CHI Cap Ltd.#29***

Fri CHI-MSP EB#7/#27

*** Alternate is MIA-NYP on SM #98, then LSL #49 NYP-CHI***

Last edited by a moderator:
:hi: I'll Second going East for the reasons mentioned! Try this Routing, think youll like it! ^_^

Sat MSP-CHI EB#8/#28

Sat/Sun CHI-NYP Cardinal #50

Sun NYC-Nite (Several Hostels in NYC/Google for Cheap Hotel)

Mon/Tue NYP-MIA Silver Star #91

Tue MIA-Nite (Google Cheap Hotel/possibly stay in Ft. Lauderdale or Hollywood)

Wed/Th MIA-WAS Silver Meteor#98***

Th/Fri WAS-CHI Cap Ltd.#29***

Fri CHI-MSP EB#7/#27

*** Alternate is MIA-NYP on SM #98, then LSL #49 NYP-CHI***

Need to get an Acela in there,

I thought about an Acela also but you cant use Rail Passes on Acela and right now they are VERY Pricey even for a short trip! (And I notice the Rail Passes have gone up, the 15 Day/8 Segment $40! :rolleyes: Still a pretty good deal, especially when you can get a Cheap Roomette or BC Upgrade!)

IMO, I would much rather do the SWC and CZ. Except areas on the Card and the Cap Ltd, his scenery will consist of urban decay and southern pines. Not much to look at if you ask me compared to the southwest and the Rockies as well as the Sierras. Of course, I am from the East Coast, so YMMV

How about East and West?

Saturday AM - depart MSP to CHI via E. Builder

Saturday PM - arrive CHI & connect to Lake Shore Limited to NY (8 PM departure) Allows all daylight after Buffalo, NY. See the Hudson River (check out the LSL photo in the National Timetable). Nice scenic, all day ride to New York City. Spend night in NY (Hotel Penn.)

Sunday PM - arrive in NY

Monday AM - Silver Star to Raleigh, NC - almost entire trip in daylight - and very good scenery too, especially south of DC (along Potomac River, Ashland, VA, James River Viaduct, Eastern NC). But the whole trip is nice... The Silver Meteor misses VA & NC due to darkness. Best part...

Monday night 9:30 PM - hotel in Raleigh, or maybe near the Cary NC station (next stop after Raleigh)

Tuesday AM - Silver Star to Washington, DC - arrive about 3 PM Washington Union Station

Tuesday afternoon - Connect to Capital Limited - 4:05 PM departure - allows cheap upgrade to Roomette - if availbel (Sightseer car too)

Weds AM - Arrive in CHI

Weds - 2 PM - CZ to Grand Junction, CO - arrive about 4:30 PM on Thursday - spend night near station. Great daylight run from Denver to Grand Junction.

Friday AM - Hop on Eastbound CZ to Denver & CHI

Saturday - Arrive CHI - overnight at hotel

Sunday - depart for MSP - rest

How about East and West?

Saturday PM - arrive CHI & connect to Lake Shore Limited to NY (8 PM departure) Allows all daylight after Buffalo, NY. See the Hudson River (check out the LSL photo in the National Timetable). Nice scenic, all day ride to New York City. Spend night in NY (Hotel Penn.)
Two notes on that:

1. The LSL leaves Chicago at 9:30 PM.

2. I wouldn't recommend the Hotel Pennsylvania in NY. It's pretty worn out and old, according to the online reviews. There are thousands of other hotels in NY.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!! Here's what I'm leaning towards:

Sat: Leave St. Paul on EB and transfer in CHI to the Cardinal.

Sun: Arrive NYC - spend the night

Mon: Depart NYC on LSL

Tues: Arrive CHI and transfer to CL

Wed: Arrive WAS - spend the night

Thurs: Depart WAS on Crescent

Fri: Arrive NOL - spend night

Sat: Depart NOL on CONO

Sun: Transfer in CHI to EB, arrive MSP that eve.

Should take up 7 of my 8 segments with the rail pass. Only nail-biter for me is the EB -> Cardinal connection, but worst case scenario I get put on the later LSL both ways.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!! Here's what I'm leaning towards:

Sat: Leave St. Paul on EB and transfer in CHI to the Cardinal.

Sun: Arrive NYC - spend the night

Mon: Depart NYC on LSL

Tues: Arrive CHI and transfer to CL

Wed: Arrive WAS - spend the night

Thurs: Depart WAS on Crescent

Fri: Arrive NOL - spend night

Sat: Depart NOL on CONO

Sun: Transfer in CHI to EB, arrive MSP that eve.

Should take up 7 of my 8 segments with the rail pass. Only nail-biter for me is the EB -> Cardinal connection, but worst case scenario I get put on the later LSL both ways.
:hi: Nice trip! :cool: Ive been on all of these, back in the "Loophole Days" @ AGR NOL was a very popular place! (Actually you went to Slidell and bought a Coach ticket to NOL across the Water! ^_^ )Were envious, Book it Danno!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back