oooops

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael061282

Lead Service Attendant
A friend of mine is on #11 out of Tacoma this morning, they were delayed about 90 mins in Olympia when a private citizen cut down a tree, which fell on some power lines which fell on the track. I know about 200 people that would to throttle the guy about now. Doesn't sound like the right of way was damaged, but somebody is going to be paying to replace some power lines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cutting down trees, when one doesn't know how to fell a tree, is a good way to get killed as well, especially when the tree falls on a power line. The fool is lucky to be alive. Good thing for him that a suit made of tar and feathers is so out of fashion these days. :p

I was on #11 yesterday, and here's what the power line looked like. The picture doesn't show the several repair trucks that came to deal with it, and it also doesn't show the fact that this power line crossed under a high-tension transmission line just a few feet further north -- if that had been involved, it could have been a lot worse. We did lose about 90 minutes sitting in Olympia (OLW) station . But as far as we could tell, no one was injured.

523609_4242972507412_48251761_n.jpg

Ah, such a fool! Why did he do it, just for hate?
Most likely he did it to improve his view. This is a big problem along the coast line out there in Washington. It's one of the biggest reasons for all the mudslides, people cutting down trees to improve their views of the sound.

Most likely he did it to improve his view. This is a big problem along the coast line out there in Washington. It's one of the biggest reasons for all the mudslides, people cutting down trees to improve their views of the sound.
Oh, quit teasing!
I'm not teasing. I am very serious! This is a big problem along the sound with property owners cutting down tress to improve their views. And doing so removes some stability for the ground if they're on a hill or cliff above the tracks.

It is a major problem in Washington!

Cutting down trees, when one doesn't know how to fell a tree, is a good way to get killed as well, especially when the tree falls on a power line. The fool is lucky to be alive. Good thing for him that a suit made of tar and feathers is so out of fashion these days. :p
Cutting down trees, even with lots of experience, can be hazardous to your health. A personal acquaintance, who'd been doing it for years, spent a couple months on a liquid diet with his jaw wired together and one eyeball sewed in place - typical end-of-shift -- lets do just one more - kinda thing. But the tree had a twist in it, and the light was getting bad, and it kicked him in the face. Ouch!

Cutting down trees near power lines needs even more skill, training, and lots of prudence. And good insurance.

And like AlanB said - it happens fairly often in the Pacific Northwest that people buy and build on some scenic mountainside - then cut down the trees in their front yard to improve the view - and a few years later learn the the tree's now-dead roots were the only thing keeping their whole property from falling into the valley below.

Oh, quit teasing!
I'm not teasing. I am very serious! This is a big problem along the sound with property owners cutting down tress to improve their views. And doing so removes some stability for the ground if they're on a hill or cliff above the tracks.

Alan, you are correct, although it would not have been the issue in this particular location. Not much of a view from there.

While I'll admit there can be Fantastic Views from the Cliffs in Washington and around the Seattle Area, even if you live where Bill Gates does, the Four or Five Clear Days that Seattle has each Year aren't worth cutting down the Trees ! :giggle:

Living Proof that just because you have lots of Money it doesnt prove you are Smart! ;)

Oh, quit teasing!

But that picture that C. Hamilton posted, it shows no view of the sound, only thick forest!

But that picture that C. Hamilton posted, it shows no view of the sound, only thick forest!
The picture he posted only looks one way. The picture he took is presumably looking towards the house.

How do we know that the Sound wasn't behind Charlie when he took the picture?

I admit, I was speculating, and Charlie shot me down stating that there was no view behind him. But I probably had a 70% chance of being right. This is a very big & common problem in that area.

For you folks who aren't in the Northwest, some clarification. The Coast Starlight and the Cascades do run along Puget Sound in some places, notably southbound between Tacoma and Nisqually (although that will change in a couple of years). However, at Nisqually, the tracks cut inland, and by the time you get to OLW station, you're at least three or four miles from the Sound.

The location most prone to mudslides that Alan is probably thinking of, where the tracks run along the water and underneath some bluffs, is actually north of Seattle's King Street Station, in the area between the Ballard Locks, Edmonds, Mukilteo, and almost to Everett. Because this area is north of King Street, the Starlight doesn't go there, although the Empire Builder and the Cascades Seattle-Vancouver BC trains do. Here's a map showing the biggest danger areas.

Do they fine people who cut down their trees and cause the erosion? Along those lines, do you have to apply for a permit before you cut any down?

Just curious.

Do they fine people who cut down their trees and cause the erosion? Along those lines, do you have to apply for a permit before you cut any down? Just curious.
Where I live if you own the land or the lease you can cut the trees. Just ask the folks who happily saw down our old growth national forests like they were fields of produce. There are a handful of exceptions and if you manage to damage something that's not yours in the process you may be responsible for the loss and/or the cost of repairs, but in general it's up to the owner to be responsible with what they choose to cut and how they go about it. In other words, like most of our environmental laws, it's based largely on the honor system. Now that mudslides are becoming more prevalent it's possible that the legal remedies may eventually be amended to deal with especially clueless and destructive landowners, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Do they fine people who cut down their trees and cause the erosion? Along those lines, do you have to apply for a permit before you cut any down?
Sorcha, I don't know. I suspect that regulations (if any) are on the city or town level, and Seattle is much more likely to have rules about such things than, say, Mukilteo.

Sorcha, I don't know. I suspect that regulations (if any) are on the city or town level, and Seattle is much more likely to have rules about such things than, say, Mukilteo.
I also have no idea about the permitting rules. Or the civil law rules about who is responsible when their house falls on someone else's right-of-way. Or whose insurance covers (possibly "flood insurance" or earth-move"). Or what building codes are involved.

I expect that it is a legal morass, involving railroads Federally granted ROW, state civil law rules and rights, etc.

And the problem may be getting worse with change in weather and people buying "views of the Sound"

Especially in the areas noted by the WSDOT report.

For you folks who aren't in the Northwest, some clarification. The Coast Starlight and the Cascades do run along Puget Sound in some places, notably southbound between Tacoma and Nisqually (although that will change in a couple of years). However, at Nisqually, the tracks cut inland, and by the time you get to OLW station, you're at least three or four miles from the Sound.

The location most prone to mudslides that Alan is probably thinking of, where the tracks run along the water and underneath some bluffs, is actually north of Seattle's King Street Station, in the area between the Ballard Locks, Edmonds, Mukilteo, and almost to Everett. Because this area is north of King Street, the Starlight doesn't go there, although the Empire Builder and the Cascades Seattle-Vancouver BC trains do. Here's a map showing the biggest danger areas.
That makes sense. I was riding along the sound when I rode the CS a few years ago. But I really throght Alan was just joking, my bad.

The property in this news article isn't near the rail line, but the article gives you an idea of the sorts of cases we hear about around here.

Oleruds' appraisal: Tree cuts value of house by $255,000

A Chinese pine on the edge of Bruce and Linda Baker's Clyde Hill property is worth $18,400, based on an arborist's calculation of the cost to replace the rare tree. But the tree has reduced the value of John and Kelly Olerud's house across the street by $255,000 because it blocks much of their westerly view, according to a recent appraisal.

The Oleruds have been attempting for more than two years to persuade — or force — the Bakers to cut down two trees that diminish their hillside view of Lake Washington, Seattle and the Olympic Mountains.

The Bakers have refused.

The city Board of Adjustment will hold a second hearing Wednesday on the Oleruds' request for an order to cut the trees down. The board has never issued a removal order since the "view obstruction and tree removal" ordinance was adopted in 1991.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back