Orlando rental cars?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sammy

Can anyone that knows Orlando well give me an idea of getting a rental car when our train arrives at 4pm on a week day. We will be staying near Disney, so an option I'm considering is catching a shuttle to the hotel and getting a rental car near there. Or, if there is local train service to the airport, maybe going there for a car. But I know very little about the Orlando area, so I'd be grateful for some advice on the most sensible way to do this.

Well Amtrak works with Hertz to provide car rentals at many Amtrak stations, including Orlando. The cars are not actually at the station, but Hertz provides a free bus/van depending on need to transport you to your car.

I'm not sure if there are any other companies that provide a similar service.

I know you can park your Hertz car in a designated space in the station when you're dropping it off, but I'm not sure about arriving.

Try giving Amtrak a call at 800-USA-RAIL and seeing what they recommend (actually what the computer recommends.) The computer system they have access to has detailed information about the station and area, and will most likely address the question of car rentals. They should also be able to tell you what kind of partnership they have with the local Hertz, and can automatically transfer you to the local Hertz' office if you have more questions. Good luck.

Hertz is the best option when travelling with Amtrak as they are used to dealing with late trains, Amtrak customers etc. If you are a member of Amtrak Guest Rewards there is also a 10% discount when you use Hertz, in addition to points for each day you rent.

Be sure to shop around, and even consider taking a cab to the airport. Orlando International Airport is one of the more competitive rental car markets in the country. You might just find a bargain out there that more than pays the taxi fare from downtown. For example, Hertz downtown for a one week rental, standard car, is $215. Hertz offers the same car for the same duration at their airport location for $185. And Thrifty, also located at the airport, charges $125. You could save nearly $100 just for a short ride from Amtrak to Orlando International.

For quick comparisons, try checking expedia.com or orbitz.com. Also, as recommended before, check what Amtrak offers directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back