Orlando station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Dave

Lead Service Attendant
Greetings All!

Me and various members of my extended family have done a Disney vacation for the last 15 years. Sometimes we do the AutoTrain and other times Silver service to Orlando.

In the past, I've seen messages of upgrades to the Orlando station done by a group of volunteers. I haven't made notes on the group but would love to support them. Does anyone on this board know who the contacts might be?

Orlando is a beautiful station and I worth preserving.

I live in Orlando and visit the Orlando station often. I have never seen any groups there regarding updating the station. About 10+ years ago, the City of Orlando Historic Preservation Board placed a photo of the Amtrak station on the cover of its annual calendar. I do not know if the group to which you are referring has anything to do with the Historic Preservation Board.

I am sorry I could not be of any help. :(

Well, to change the subject, I also noticed that the Silver Service timetable still lists Cypress Gardens under Winter Haven. Am I correct that Cypress Gardens is being transitioned into "Legoland?".

Alway appreciative for your kind and gentle responses....

Dave

Well, to change the subject, I also noticed that the Silver Service timetable still lists Cypress Gardens under Winter Haven. Am I correct that Cypress Gardens is being transitioned into "Legoland?".

Dave

Yes, but I do not know when it will open as Legoland. I understand that the Gardens (which are magnificent) will remain as part of Legoland.

Penny

Dave

Yes, but I do not know when it will open as Legoland. I understand that the Gardens (which are magnificent) will remain as part of Legoland.

Penny

Glad the gardens are staying. Our first trip to FL (aside from when we lived in Tampa) was on Amtrak to see the gardens. If I recall correctly, my younger son (who is now 25) drove the SCA nuts with endless questions about flushing the toilet and the little LCD video screen which was available at the time. I think it was year 1 for the Viewliners that trip. The Southern Belles at Cypress Gardens were great and my mom still raves about that trip.

Blessings!!

Dave

I just spent about 40 minutes at the Orlando station speaking to a ticket agent about Companion Coupons, etc. He was extremely nice (and kind of cute :giggle: ). While I was there I asked him if there is a group involved with renovating the station. He said he wished there was. CSX owns the Orlando station and rents it to Amtrak for $1 a year. Apparently no one is spending any money on maintenance. However, there is a group that brings in a Christmas tree and decorates it annually. The name of the group is the Altrusa Club. It is possible that Dave might have seen members of this group decorating or undecorating the tree. FYI - the tree should be going up fairly soon (within the next week or so).

I went to the station between trains (the next one was due in over 2 hours) and there was no one waiting in line for the ticket agents. In fact, at one time, I was talking to two ticket agents.

I hope money will be directed to giving this treasure a makeover. BUT -- a cautious one. I don't want to see Orlando station take on the traits of a spayed, neutered, gentrified, corporate business extravaganza that takes all of the 'train' out of the station.

You all know what I'm talking about here: I shall use mantras and curses to keep expelled out of Orlando station things like a Starbucks cafe, staffed Bank Everywhere branch, designer plastic chairs that wiegh two ounces, glass and cable mininimalist (and characterless) awnings over the doorways, giving the green light to any developer interested in 'mall-ifying' it. No, no, no. I require a rail museum curator who is familiar with rail stations of the south, Florida in particular, to serve in some decision making capacity, along with regional buildings preservation groups, and finally, a select group of Amtrak people. None of the two-faced Language class failures who messed up the NY-NJ TransHudson tunnel, please. Only if you've got a brain that is smart, compitent to the jobs necessary as well as Claytor-ian mixtures of financing, dancing deftly with politicians, and knowing how to speak and write in complete logical sentences. And, compassion, oodles of it. Reviving a train station, a steam engine, the rail industry, requires a care and love that is not clouded with mental reservation, doubt, and distraction.

That being said, probably a sandblasting and shellacking or revarnishing of all the wooden public benches are a must. Stone flooring that is well made and can withstand decades of dragging luggage. A nice secure paint job done in harmony with the station's Spanish influences (perhaps salmon or light shade of orange). Do not dare think of getting rid of the classic telephone boothes. Give the Hertz pavillion some more room, make it classy, and have it staffed more hours (with a resurrected and daily-ed Sunset, plus Silver Palm, and upcoming SunRail, this should make money). The long disused freight house need not wither. Many have rightfully complained of a lack of nearby dining outlets, save for a sandwich shop across the street. With several new hospitals and/or medical centers serving as Amtrak's neighbors, a Country Kitchen Buffet would fit right in. Fix up that broken parking lot. Put the Amtrak name on a large main marquee and two smaller ones at either end of the street that passes it, showing Orlando and the world that the National Railroad Passenger Co. is serious about being a name that will serve as pillar to the town, the state, and the country. Amtrak has to show it can kick ass, yet nurture a broken egg until the baby chick hatches. Finally, a radical idea: use some of the freighthouse for Tropicana, to be hauled either by CSX or Amtrak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Better yet, have Tropicana renovate the station, and put in a PR center in the old freight house. I like your ideas thou, well thought out.

We know where to find Penny these days, at the station when the cute agent is working!
wink.gif

Do not dare think of getting rid of the classic telephone boothes. Give the Hertz pavillion some more room, make it classy, and have it staffed more hours (with a resurrected and daily-ed Sunset, plus Silver Palm, and upcoming SunRail, this should make money).
While the classic phone booths are a nice feature, what function should they be converted into, given that the pay phones themselves are basically obsolete? I don't even think there is an actual pay phone in each of those booths anymore (are there)?

The Hertz counter should be moved to a better location. Though, I am not sure what good it would be to expand its operating hours to outside of arriving trains.

What about the building area to other side of the ticket window and phone booths? Could that be rehabilitated and turned into passenger usable space? Possibly there would be a good spot for true Hertz counter, a snack bar (replacing the weird alcove of vending machines), and should I dare dream, a sleeper passenger lounge (something Club Acela like)?

It is my impression that nothing will be done to improve the station, because there is no money with which to make any improvements. (I heard that CSX does not want to put any money into the station.) I believe that the telephone booths have actual pay phones in them, but I am not sure. Next time I am hanging around the station checking out the ticket agents, I will look. :giggle:

PS - there is a television in the station, but is difficult to hear because of the bad acoustics in the building.

It is my impression that nothing will be done to improve the station, because there is no money with which to make any improvements. (I heard that CSX does not want to put any money into the station.) I believe that the telephone booths have actual pay phones in them, but I am not sure. Next time I am hanging around the station checking out the ticket agents, I will look. :giggle:

PS - there is a television in the station, but is difficult to hear because of the bad acoustics in the building.
I didn't realize until earlier in this thread that CSX owned the station. I guess I never thought about it. I guess I can't blame them for not wanting to put any money into if they lease it out to Amtrak at $1 per year.

I hope money will be directed to giving this treasure a makeover. BUT -- a cautious one. I don't want to see Orlando station take on the traits of a spayed, neutered, gentrified, corporate business extravaganza that takes all of the 'train' out of the station.

You all know what I'm talking about here: I shall use mantras and curses to keep expelled out of Orlando station things like a Starbucks cafe, staffed Bank Everywhere branch, designer plastic chairs that wiegh two ounces, glass and cable mininimalist (and characterless) awnings over the doorways, giving the green light to any developer interested in 'mall-ifying' it. No, no, no. I require a rail museum curator who is familiar with rail stations of the south, Florida in particular, to serve in some decision making capacity, along with regional buildings preservation groups, and finally, a select group of Amtrak people. None of the two-faced Language class failures who messed up the NY-NJ TransHudson tunnel, please. Only if you've got a brain that is smart, compitent to the jobs necessary as well as Claytor-ian mixtures of financing, dancing deftly with politicians, and knowing how to speak and write in complete logical sentences. And, compassion, oodles of it. Reviving a train station, a steam engine, the rail industry, requires a care and love that is not clouded with mental reservation, doubt, and distraction.

That being said, probably a sandblasting and shellacking or revarnishing of all the wooden public benches are a must. Stone flooring that is well made and can withstand decades of dragging luggage. A nice secure paint job done in harmony with the station's Spanish influences (perhaps salmon or light shade of orange). Do not dare think of getting rid of the classic telephone boothes. Give the Hertz pavillion some more room, make it classy, and have it staffed more hours (with a resurrected and daily-ed Sunset, plus Silver Palm, and upcoming SunRail, this should make money). The long disused freight house need not wither. Many have rightfully complained of a lack of nearby dining outlets, save for a sandwich shop across the street. With several new hospitals and/or medical centers serving as Amtrak's neighbors, a Country Kitchen Buffet would fit right in. Fix up that broken parking lot. Put the Amtrak name on a large main marquee and two smaller ones at either end of the street that passes it, showing Orlando and the world that the National Railroad Passenger Co. is serious about being a name that will serve as pillar to the town, the state, and the country. Amtrak has to show it can kick ass, yet nurture a broken egg until the baby chick hatches. Finally, a radical idea: use some of the freighthouse for Tropicana, to be hauled either by CSX or Amtrak.
That location is in high demand for continued expansion of the medical facilities in the area. There have been discussions about moving the station to another location; however Kissimmee is to small (even though it is actually closer to the Disney Park) and downtown Orlando is not large enough either. They have actually looked at the former station location of the Fun Train, but that also would require complete construction and Amtrak does not have the money for that. I don't see anyone doing the type of renovation you are recommending with the CSX ownership, possible alternate use of the space and no money from Amtrak - but you can dream. All your suggestions of increased retail, food services, etc would require an audience that does not exist for enough hours each day to make any of that profitable.

That location is in high demand for continued expansion of the medical facilities in the area. There have been discussions about moving the station to another location; however Kissimmee is to small (even though it is actually closer to the Disney Park) and downtown Orlando is not large enough either. They have actually looked at the former station location of the Fun Train, but that also would require complete construction and Amtrak does not have the money for that. I don't see anyone doing the type of renovation you are recommending with the CSX ownership, possible alternate use of the space and no money from Amtrak - but you can dream. All your suggestions of increased retail, food services, etc would require an audience that does not exist for enough hours each day to make any of that profitable.
Very good point haolerider. Am I correct that it is the Arnold Palmer hospital that is pretty close by? Hospitals in the communities I've served in have purchased surrounding property whenever it's become available. For them it has been a matter of growing or ceasing to survive. If I were CSX I'd be pretty tempted to listen to offers. Is there anything, legal wise, that prevents them from doing this? Do they have some sort of obligation to keep the station open on behalf of Amtrak?

The station will be served by SunRail in the coming years, right? Are any significant changes/improvements planned?

Very good point haolerider. Am I correct that it is the Arnold Palmer hospital that is pretty close by? Hospitals in the communities I've served in have purchased surrounding property whenever it's become available. For them it has been a matter of growing or ceasing to survive. If I were CSX I'd be pretty tempted to listen to offers. Is there anything, legal wise, that prevents them from doing this? Do they have some sort of obligation to keep the station open on behalf of Amtrak?
It is a hospital group known as Orlando Health (I think - it keeps changing). Arnold Palmer is one of the hospitals, Winnie Palmer is another. Orlando Regional is the main hospital (or at least it used to be). BTW, I have spoken to people who felt that parking in the hospital's lot was safer than the Amtrak lot and were willing to pay the nominal daily parking charge.

I have not heard any rumors that the hospital was looking to purchase the land where the station is located. (but I am not privy to any inside information - I only know what is public information and is printed in the newspaper or announced on tv).

It is a hospital group known as Orlando Health (I think - it keeps changing). Arnold Palmer is one of the hospitals, Winnie Palmer is another. Orlando Regional is the main hospital (or at least it used to be). BTW, I have spoken to people who felt that parking in the hospital's lot was safer than the Amtrak lot and were willing to pay the nominal daily parking charge.

I have not heard any rumors that the hospital was looking to purchase the land where the station is located. (but I am not privy to any inside information - I only know what is public information and is printed in the newspaper or announced on tv).
I guess I was asking whether or not the Orlando station is protected by some sort of "historic landmark" status. We're hoping to retire to the Orlando area (social security willing) :blink: and think the station is worth preserving. But, $$ wise, perhaps it is not prudent,

I guess I was asking whether or not the Orlando station is protected by some sort of "historic landmark" status. We're hoping to retire to the Orlando area (social security willing) :blink: and think the station is worth preserving. But, $$ wise, perhaps it is not prudent,
Yes, historic landmark status would work fine, for it relies less on rare cash and more on pens and loud voices. And don't forget them brains; used right there's an unlimited supply.

As for the other messages, Amtrak may not have the bargaining power to stake claim of territory in absence of money, which interplays with the fact that only two round trips serve that station. No surprise there is dearth of audience. And dreams are not just the fantastical byproducts of an active imagination or a great drug trip: the largest railroad expansion in American history was through the uncharted neverlands of prairies and deserts to get through something called the West Coast, which was hoped to nurture a port that would open up new trade. And it's also got that thing called the Golden Spike on Promontory Point. Sooooooo, let's juice up that spirited attitude and seize the station for preservation and purposes of commerce to keep them medical centers from encroaching. After all, they are likely for profit businesses who depends on sick people's money, plus a heaping from well laquor-polished and connected lobbyists.

We should never be expected to let change happen without our actively shaping it. We go into the ring which is Orlando Station with strategy and appropriate confrontational mental energy held in reserve but ready to use, and do some common sense zone planning. All them doctors, patients, visitors, AAAAAANNNDDD: TRAIN PASSENGERS!!! gotta eat somewhere, and Orange Blossom Trail/Blvd. is about a good six blocks away.

Talks about Kissimmee and the other Orlando station? Sure, let's talk: Kissimmee is a gem as well but is simply too small to handle the volume of what Orlando gets. There have been some improvements to the main station and utilities like temp control and restrooms, while the awnings along the length of the platform to shelter from weather elements were destroyed during 2004's trio of hurricanes (I believe one of them was Charlie), then very recently fully repaired and painted. A small freighthouse attached to the station is empty I believe.

It is a great alternative stop as well as for folks who are doing local travel, worthy of upkeep and attention, but shall get overwhelmed if the Orlando folks used this station instead.

Then we've got the other Orlando place that was once Church Street Station, part of an entertainment/drink/food/drink some more complex that still has a steam engine and several period cars attached to it. If you talked about moving Amtrak out of where it is to this station, it is doable, but will likely come under fire from local employers, stemming from the plentiful grade crossings right in the middle of town and track that amazingly threads right in between nice looking office buildings and the Lynx Bus depot. Private residences are just up the track, so they will likely be backfiring as well.

So, it seems the best option of all those implied is to stay were we are and manifest a way to keep it healthy and intact.

In response to Pastor Dave's original post... while in the Orlando station this afternoon, I looked at the photos on the walls showing individuals "sprucing up" the station. I noticed 2 photos and both were dated 1990. I did not see a name of the group doing the "renovations."

Also, in response to another post, there are pay phones inside the booths and I even saw someone using one of the phones.

In response to Pastor Dave's original post... while in the Orlando station this afternoon, I looked at the photos on the walls showing individuals "sprucing up" the station. I noticed 2 photos and both were dated 1990. I did not see a name of the group doing the "renovations."

Also, in response to another post, there are pay phones inside the booths and I even saw someone using one of the phones.
Yes! I remember the photos. Maybe that is what meant me think there was some sort of ongoing preservation society. Perhaps the efforts were just a one time thing. Thanks for checking up on this pennyk :D

Yesterday (December 16th), there was a letter to the editor in the Orlando Sentinel from a gentleman from Key West who was "entralled with the renovated Amtrak train station." I do not know when he was in Orlando last, but I do not recall the train station being "renovated" in the recent past. I tried to post a link to the letter, but was unable to do so. :help:

I am sure someone much younger and more technologically competent would be able to do so. I think the following is a link to all three of the letters to the editor on 12/16/10, only one of which pertains to the Amtrak station.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/opinion/os-ed-smoking-hospital-workers-letter20101215,0,5681052.story

I don't think there is a way to link to only that one sentence where he mentions the station.

The link fails due to limitations inherent in the forum software that misunderstands the purpose of the punctuation.

Corrected Link...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back