Orlando - Sunset vs. work van

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmtrakWPK

Conductor
AU Supporting Member
Honored Member
Just saw on ch 35 - live - unidentified Amtrak train, from the description I believe it was south of the Orlando station, collision with a work van, van looks pretty much destroyed, debris all over the place, early reports have one fatality (in the van), wide shot showed superliner cars so it must have been Sunset. No mention of damage to the train or to any crew. South of Orlando station, in Pinecastle area, so it would not have had pax on it, it was presumably either on the way to or from the wye to turn around and head back to SFA. Based on the direction of the shadows in the picture, I think it was headed down to the wye. They did not say when the incident happened, but the Amtrak web site shows arrival ORL at 7:05 a.m., so the collision would have been within the last hour, in daylight. Single-tracked main in that area. Listening to Road and dispatch channels, I can hear that AA is already dealing with trains stacking up. From what I could see on the traffic vulture's tv view, the crossing had sawbucks but no gates or lights. OK - dispatch just ID'd it to another train as P002, so it IS the Sunset that was involved.

===========

Followup - FHP officer interview - van was stopped on the tracks, eastbound, driver would have been looking right into the rising sun, was hit square on driver's side. According to FHP, there have been two other fatalities at this crossing, and they estimated P002 was running about 60 MPH at the time. The van was thrown quite a ways south of the crossing and fragmented somewhat, and the end of the train was a couple of hundred feet further south when it came to a stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back