Our big USA Train Adventure

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chezndave

Train Attendant
Hi All,

This is our itinery for our big adventure, its taken some time to sort out but finally sorted and hotels and trains booked. we go at the begining of Sept for just over 3 weeks. Its soooooo exciting and we can hardly wait, we have never been to the States before.

We are doing our trains in Coach (when you have slept the night on a trian with no glass in the windows across the Thar Desert North India you can sleep anywhere).

Fly into Chicago for 3 nights

CZ to Glenwood Springs - overnight stop

CZ to San Fran - 3 nights

CS to portland - 3 nights

Train to Seattle - 3 nights

Ferry to Victoria BC - 3 nights

Ferry to Vancouver - 2 nights

Fly home (for a rest)

We would have liked to have done The Canadian back to Toronto but just dont have the time, saving that for another adventure.

All tips and hints greatly apreciated.

regards CheznDave :)

That looks like a great trip and after planning my 15 day rail pass I understand how much is involved in the planning process.

I've grown up near CHI and it is such a beautiful city in Sept. There is a paved path along most of the Lake Michigan shoreline with many parks. The city skyline being right next to you.

There are many great museum's, the museum of science and industry and museum of natural history come to mind also there is a very nice aquarium downtown. Check out the plays and musicals in town for your dates.

Looks like a fantastic adventure! I like the way you've broken it up with decent length stopovers.

Enjoy!

One thing that I'd add if you're so inclined: the Victoria Symphony is a hidden gem: they tend to play in smallish venues, have no interest in "modern" or "world premier" performances, and the presentation/manner of performance I'd call "gracious," refined and technically excellent. If your tastes lean that direction, I'd get a pair of tickets, assuming they're performing one of the evenings you're in Vic: walk to dinner, walk to the concert hall and walk back to your hotel, and call it a pleasant evening [downtown and the harbor make up a very small area]. September will be at the beginning of their 2014/15 season, and I don't think they're publish a schedule until May or so, but you might keep an eye open, and when single tickets come available (generally July), if their schedule and yours match, buy a pair of tickets and partake [of note: given their smallish venues, generally tickets are not available at the door - they're sold out... so, buy online in July and pick the tickets up at the door].... who say a little Mozart, Arensky or maybe Berlioz wouldn't go with a fine sojourn? :)

THAT is an amazing trip. Having been to Chicago, San Francisco, and Victoria myself, I can vouch for how wonderful they are. :)

One piece of advice I have - bring layers. Chicago will still be fairly warm and humid, but then San Francisco, Seattle, and Victoria will be a bit cooler.

I can't wait to see pictures! Please be sure to write a travelogue when you are home and settled.

I hope you get the chance to swim in the world's largest hot spring fed swimming pool in Glenwood Springs. It is within sight of the train station.

In Portland be sure to make a stop in Powell's Bookstore.

If it is cheaper to fly home from Seattle than from Vancouver, you can take the Amtrak train or bus back to SEA.

An early welcome to the US. I hope your adventure will be an enjoyable one.

Enjoy the CZ through the Rocky Mountains - fantastic scenery.

:hi: Wonderful Trip, of course we're envious! Of all the wonderful places ya'll are staying and seeing, my fave is Victoria, it is the place that still seems like England and the afternoon "Tea" @ the Empress Hotel is still "THE" thing to do! Can't remember the Name but the Gardens there are Beautiful!!!

Of the "Big" Cities on your Trip, Chicago and Vancouver are hard to beat and I agree that perhaps flying home from Seattle would be cheaper than Vancouver! (Taxes etc.)

If you want toask specific Questions about your Travel on Amtrak or Sightseeing, Local Transportation,Places to Eat, Visit etc.

this is the right place, lot's of Great Info from AU Members!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't remember the Name but the Gardens there are Beautiful!!!
Butchart Gardens. I went there a long, long time ago. I'm pretty sure it was September ( I know it was fall). The flaming shrubberies were gorgeous, especially the sunken garden. There were still plenty of roses in bloom, even in fall.

There are shuttle buses from Victoria (directions on the Butchart website). Don't miss this!!

Good luck with your trip, my own train journey across the Thar desert was from Jaisalmere, wooden seats, all of 30 years ago...

Be sure to check out Powells bookstore in Portland, and also the farmers market if you are there at a week

Ed :cool:

Indian train 1983.jpg

We would have liked to have done The Canadian back to Toronto but just dont have the time, saving that for another adventure.
I don't wish to spoil your trip, but: Quit your job & sell your Grandma in order to include the train!

(It's not just a train it's THE train, also in terms of frequency) And if you mention India, the diner competes with the 1AC food on the Mumbai Rajdhani (still not sure which one was better). It might be also worth getting an upgrade between

Also, the California State Railway Museum in Sacramento is really worth a stop. The whole ferry thing sounds like an excellent idea (never done it myself, unfortunately). In CHI say hello to the Burlington Zephyr (Museum of Science and Industry), but stay away from the pizza (it's really odd). Cable cars in SFC are best in the late evening (11pm and they will be all yours). The mission is quite nice and in my opinion also Alcatraz is worth the trip. For catching the CS, do it the right way and take the ferry: http://sanfranciscobayferry.com/route/sffb/oakland

The railway station is within walking distance (at least if you managed to get through India) from the ferry pier.

Let me also repeat my mantra (if you made it though India you will be aware anyway): Bring earplugs, sleeping mask, inflatable neck cushion, ommmmmmm.

I've always wanted to stay at The Empress. They have a Butchart Gardens package, so that might work well for you if you don't already have something else planned. (That, and the Empress is a bit pricy.) It's right on the harbor, though, near the Parliament buildings. I've never been to England, but that area makes me think of the pictures I've seen. It's just gorgeous.

In early September, you may see a bit of autumn color emerging on the aspen trees as you cross the Continental Divide aboard the CZ at the Moffat Tunnel (elevation 9,000 feet). Glenwood Springs is too low an elevation to show much color in early September.

Rereading my post, i just realize that half a sentence is missing, sorry:

It might be also worth getting an upgrade between.... Emeryville/Oakland and Portland. This will get you the opportunity to use the Pacific Parlor Car, which is quite nice. Also, check the sleeper prices on the day you're traveling on any route, if somebody cancels his trip there might be a cheap roomette around.

From Denver to Glenwood Springs make sure you get a seat in the lounge car early enough, the right side (in direction of travel) is the more spectacular one.

something you might want to think about is that when you get to Chicago is purchase a cheap travel pillow and blanket to use in coach. No matter the time of year, a pillow and blanket will make sleeping in coach easier. Oh and possibly ear plugs. Then in stead of having to carry them back with you, leave them somewhere that they can be used. There are so many homeless that would love to use the pillow and blanket after you are finished with them. I try and do this to pay it forward if I can.

Sound like great fun...

When in Portland (in addition to previously mentioned Powell's Books which is in walking distance of Union Station) consider a visit to the Oregon Rail Heritage Foundation home of SP4449, SP&S700, and OWR&N197. Also, if you care to rent a car the "Mount Hood Loop" around Mount hood and through the Columbia River Gorge is well worth the time. Plenty of forest hiking and urban biking/hiking in the area.

Then instead of having to carry them back with you, leave them somewhere that they can be used. There are so many homeless that would love to use the pillow and blanket after you are finished with them. I try and do this to pay it forward if I can.
That's a really good idea.

Have a great time! Wave to me when you fly over Cleveland at Lake Erie, on your way to Chicago!

Welcome to the States...The wife and I did much the same trip in reverse late Sept and early Oct 2013 CHI/ SEA EB Victoria BC is a beautiful city as mentioned Butchart Gardens is a must see.

SEA/EMY... CS EMY/CHI.... CZ

I will second the Columbia River gorge Mt Hood loop also if possible Crater Lake NP

We missed Glenwood Springs as the tracks were out in Colorado and we did the WYO route out of SLC to DEN on the CZ in a very heavy snow storm.

Also you may want to do a day trip to Yosemite NP out of SFO

What ever you do Have a great time and as we say in the South y'all come back

You have selected some of the very best Amtrak routes! The CZ is gorgeous over the Rocky Mountains. Glenwood Springs, CO is a great stop over. Rent bikes or do some river rafting! Powell Bookstore in Portland is must see as others have mentioned. You may want to consider taking the Amtrak Cascades run from Vancouver, B.C. down to Seattle and then flying home from Seattle. The scenery is absolutely beautiful along Puget Sound on this train.

Hi All.

thanks for the loverly replies.

Ed you may like to know the trains in India have not changed at all, more than likely using the same rolling stock.

We will certainly be going for a swim at Glenwoods hot springs, it will be a nice way to relax after a 3 hour segway adventure when we get of the train.

Me and Him Indoors like the sound of traveling back on the Cascades to seattle but to be honest the pirice of the flights are more expensive (we have found a good deal with Virgin with flight times that suit us,Dave has to be back for a gig and we want to fly back non stop), so we will save that trip for our next adventure on train from Halifax NS to Seattle, via Toronto, Montreal and other interesting places.

Like the idea of buying a pillow and giving it to someone after portland. will look into homeless shelters and the like.

Any recomendations for Train Museums would be fab or Steam/Miniture Railways.

regards Chez n Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back