Our Second Rail Journey

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spot1181

Lead Service Attendant
We are taking our second train trip Monday Nov. 3rd. The Cardinal from Cincinnati to Chicago, California Zepher to the Bay Area, Coast Starlight to Portland. Empire Builder to Chicago, then back on the Cardinal. Travelling coach on the Cardinal, family sleeper on the CZ and EB, standard sleeper on the CS. Enjoyed our trip so much last year but it took us this long to return to the rails. Hope it's worth the wait.

I booked our tickets four months ago and got great deals. Bought the Cardinal tickets through Rail Sale. But by booking on line we weren't allowed to return on the CZ, only on the EB. Wonder why?

Amtrak even called us about the schedule changes. We are really looking forward to a relaxing week on the rails and hope we make all of our connections. I know our destiny is in Amtrak's hands. Will take notes and file a trip report when we return. Wish us ' Bon Voyage' .

Hope your trip goes well. Just watch out the Zeph has had some troubles heading West the past couple of weeks. However, if they have everything fixed (there was a freight derailment on a single track section in NV earlier in the week that they have to rebuild the track) things should be ok.

If I were you, I'd have reversed the round trip. The Zephyr has been doing a lot better EB, especially lately. It's actually been early the past few days, at least according to the Amtrak website.

PennsyFan said:
If I were you, I'd have reversed the round trip. The Zephyr has been doing a lot better EB, especially lately. It's actually been early the past few days, at least according to the Amtrak website.
Well last couple days it has been doing quite badly. Today it is running 6 hours behind schedule, yesterday I believe it was reported around 4.

The delays the past couple of days could be attributed to the first snow of the season in the Sierra.

It is usually better to ride the CZ westbound, as I believe you are doing, that way you can be better assured of seeing the Colorado Rockies in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back