Outlet types for Superliner Roomette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wyomingtrainlover

Train Attendant
Hi all. I'll be taking my annual DC trip leaving Denver this Friday. Are the outlets in the Superliner Roomette 2 or 3 pronged?? I'm asking because I'm bringing my new laptop for the ride and would like to occasionally watch movies, browse the web, write a trip report as it happens, etc. Thanks all!
rolleyes.gif

Thanks a bunch. Glad to know that the laptop (3-pronged) will have power and that my two-pronged extension cord will be useful for charging the phone.

Most people suggest (as do I) to bring along a power bar. That allows you to plug in more items then you have outlets. But the big advantage is the surge protection, power on the train isn't as even & nice as it is in your house or a hotel.

peter

Just tp be sure I take along a 3 to 2 adapter along with a two pronged 3 way adapter and a 2 pronged extension cord.

Works for me

But the big advantage is the surge protection, power on the train isn't as even & nice as it is in your house or a hotel.
You will never need the surge protection on a train. Unlike your house power, there are no surges in power on a train.

I suppose that perhaps if the train got struck by lightning that there might be a surge, but your surge protector would be of little help in that case anyhow as it could never stop such a jolt.

This is not to say that having a surge protector to provide multiple outlets and to act as an extension cord isn't a good idea; but any outlet strip would be equally effective as a surge protector on a train.

On my last two 2011 train trips, the outlet in my roomette was inoperative. I had to recharge in the Superliner lounge car. On one of those trips some kind (and brilliant) soul brought aboard a 6-outlet power strip and plugged that into the double AC socket at the unused bar enclosure in the lounge car. Looked like a litter of puppies nursing at their dachshund mother. The kind soul received numerous offers of free drinks. One of them was from me.

I'll definitely bring the appropriate extension cord with a couple of additional outlets. Also, my cell has a USB cable for charging.

Just 3 more days until the trip!
rolleyes.gif

I've never had a bad outlet in my roomette, but lack of electricity would present a serious problem for me since I now use one of those CPAP machines. Without power for the machine, I shudder to think of how my snoring would ruin everyone else's trip.

I hit a roomette once on the CZ that had no power to the outlets, but that's the only time in all my travels that I've hit a bad outlet in a sleeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back